Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm liking the OHL invites.

Marrelli is awesome. Kind of a Russell/Stecher type. Undersized, but a really good defender. Loves to block shots and wins a ton of battles because he's such a buzz saw. Not shy about giving guys in front a few good whacks too. He's the type of guy that I'd throw an ELC at and see what he can develop into.

Brochu is a cool story. Went from playing Junior C to winning the OHL's best goalie award. He's undersized too, but he had really good numbers in the ECHL last year. Probably not an NHL player there, but he could be solid in Bako pretty soon.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Have to say I'm most curious about Wakely and Clattenberg.

Oil tilting to OHL talent base with Pracey and his deep knowledge of the league and players. Wakely has good size and skills as an overage pick. Clattenberg as a clearly defined physical depth player who has a narrower range in abilities.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Marc Lajoie is a monster and put up a lot of points on D. Is there anything there?

Here's his Elite Prospects File: Marc Lajoie - Stats, Contract, Salary & More

He's a local kid from St. Albert and tall at 6'6", but that +/- though... YIKES.

Screenshot_20240910_224245_Samsung Internet.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did I miss the start date?
Excited to see Wanner, Akey and Savoie.
13-16th

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How does that work? Or was he just signed to an amateur tryout to finish the year out?

Seems he's not fully committed to U of A at this point as you'd think he'd be in school right now.
I can't remember, I thought it might be have been an ATO, but it doesn't affect your ability to go to CIS institutions, a player could play in the NHL, then still go play at the U of A, U of A or UBC just fine.

Reactions: oilers'72

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Don't the Oilers have an undefeated streak or some really good record in this tournament going back a few years? With our bottom of the league prospect placement... it would be funny if the Oilers continued to beat on the other teams, especially Calgary who is in a full rebuild and have been stockpiling picks and prospects.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't the Oilers have an undefeated streak or some really good record in this tournament going back a few years? With our bottom of the league prospect placement... it would be funny if the Oilers continued to beat on the other teams, especially Calgary who is in a full rebuild and have been stockpiling picks and prospects.
Honestly I know people dislike Spec, but he wasn't far off on his comments the other day.

The tourney is kind of a gong show. Bunch of guys that never played together thrown together and hope they succeed. Even high end prospects don't always look great.

Also depends on what guys bring in terms of age, as we've all seen how the Golden Bears were able to beat the Oilers rookies at times simply because of experience and further development.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Honestly I know people dislike Spec, but he wasn't far off on his comments the other day.

The tourney is kind of a gong show. Bunch of guys that never played together thrown together and hope they succeed. Even high end prospects don't always look great.

Also depends on what guys bring in terms of age, as we've all seen how the Golden Bears were able to beat the Oilers rookies at times simply because of experience and further development.
It's hockey!
Was worth driving down for a weekend back when our prospects were better than regular players. Days of HOPE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad