Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
They look like a team with a bunch of undrafted invites and a single 7th rounder playing on the blueline.

This also has one of the youngest least experienced teams they've ever set. Only Wanner, Petrov and Grubbe have spent a majority of last season in the AHL; and honestly Savoie's the only other guy in the group I'm confident forecasting as an AHL'er for this upcoming season. I'm not sure anyone else is a clear step above ECHL-level.

Has there been any updates on Akey? When do we start getting concerned?

Reactions: oilers'72

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Why did Buffalo trade him for Ryan McLeod, a player most of the users here were pleading to get rid of because he was overpaid at 2 million a year? Someone who is a literal do- nothing, and give us this incredibly talent 60 point no sweat scoring forward?

Give your head a shake.
Here's a tongue twister for you. Where was Ryan McLeod at 19/20 😆

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Tuned into some of the game. First had to find where it was on. Of course not on Oilers site and no links to it. So I had to do what we've learned to do through years is go to opposition site, Fleghms, to watch the game. Kinda turns my stomach to do that.

Have to say Savoie was the only notable player on the ice for either team and everything kind of ran through him. Wasn't aware he killed penalties as well. In anycase the story was Savoie and then everybody else. I haven't seen him much but looked good.

Oh, Wanner looked all right too. With a name like Maximus you gotta be good and tough. Maybe what his parents were thinking...

f*** I'd hate that name. lol

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Why did Buffalo trade him for Ryan McLeod, a player most of the users here were pleading to get rid of because he was overpaid at 2 million a year? Someone who is a literal do- nothing, and give us this incredibly talent 60 point no sweat scoring forward?

Give your head a shake.
This is the depth of analysis I come here for.
Thank you Sir.

• Haha

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You are absolutely right in the first sentence. Good, NHL quality players dominate the tournament.

Savoie will not get bigger or faster to any significant extent, he has been to three of these now. Same numbers as Yamo, same size as Yamo, same issues as Yamo.

We can play him with McDrai and he can put up 30 points and we can call it a success, but the reality is he's a tweener.
So who is dominating this tournament so far?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Give your head a shake.
I will tell you why, the Sabres are full of high-end 1st and 2nd round prospects drafted in their cupboards of many years of missing the playoffs the fans want action and the team wants to win, McLeod fills a huge hole in the Sabres lineup a 3rd line C who can kill penalties. they had to give to get

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Give your head a shake.
Yeah, the sabres are an incredibly well run organization, they never make bad moves.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
No, I've been an Oilers fan since I can remember and feel invested enough to post here and talk about the pros and cons of the club.
Recent1st round Pics in the Sabres organization

Cozens 2019 Dahlin2018 Quinn 2020 Krebs 2019 Benson 2023 Byram 2019 Power 2021 Rosen 2021 Helenuis 2024 Ostlund 2021 Kulich 2022 Johnson 2019 and they are all their 1st rounders 24 and younger not even counting all the early 2nd round picks on the team they have assets to move to fill need positions now why they let Savoie go

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I mean yeah … but this is just a thread with people giving their opinions. I don’t really see the problem with that. I suppose many posters are like me and don’t have time (or way) to watch junior hockey or AHL. So they are watching this tournament carefully to get a first hand look at a player they may not have seen since last year (or in some cases not at all).

For example Wanner has been touted by some posters here (probably some of them have watched his WHL/AHL games but I guarantee others have not and they are just jumping on the hype train) as being borderline NHL ready and perhaps threatening for a bottom pair slot as early as this season. I didn’t see it at all. I saw a player who was quite poor in game 1 and probably a bit better today, but nothing outstanding. Based on some of the rosy write ups I’ve seen on this board, I did expect more. I think it’s fair to post that. It’s a poor situation to evaluate a player, I agree. But what else are we supposed to do? Just not post at all?

Based on what you said above about how ‘laughable’ it is to have any opinions on ‘potential or NHL readiness’ based off performance in this tournament, I assume you watched a bunch of London Knights games over the past year? Or is it just ‘laughable’ to have a negative opinion based off this tourney, and positive statements like ‘safe bet’ are acceptable? Personally I like to read all opinions on prospects.
Harpoon did you watch Wanner last year in the AHL?

I watched him all year and he looks way more improved from last year in terms of offence and passing. The problems you are talking about are because of his D partners. He’s playing with 5 friggin tryouts. What did you expect? Chris Pronger?

He’s young and he’s going to have problems. No one said he’s NHL ready

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We used to dominate the tournament because we had a litany of high end prospects who eventually went to the NHL and dominated/fit in.

Let me make it clear, I don't care at all if we're winning or losing games in the tournament. I'm watching the players play the sport on the ice, and not a single one of them in either game has had a shift of dominance where you'd think they should be playing above the level they're at (college/minor league/junior).

For a lot of these guys they're in their third/fourth prospect camps and should be dominating at this point if they actually have a shot of making the league as a regular player. It isn't happening. And I'll reiterate that for someone like O'Reilly, this being his first camp and a late first rounder, of course we give him some leeway.

Past him, none of the players on our tournament roster have a chance at making the league. The two guys who stood out last year (and no-one else) were Broberg and Holloway. Both of them were miles ahead of the competition and ended up playing meaningful playoff games for us in the SCF.

Nobody even comes close to sniffing their jockstraps in our prospect pool at the moment past POTENTIALLY O'Reilly, Rodrigue, and Akey.

Petrov will never play, Savoie will never play, Lavoie will never play, etc etc. These guys fit right in with the Bourgaults, Maksimovs, Safins, Bensons, Yakimovs, Zharkovs, Morozs, Gernats, Musils, Abneys, etc. Tweeners who realistically had no shot.
You know shit all buddy the f*** are you smoking and who do you think you are? You’re here for less than a month and you know everything?

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Savoie is like a Yamamoto type player, small and not quick/strong enough to overcome it -- again like a St. Louis/Gaudreau was. You can only make it in this league as a small/average speed/skilled player if you are sublimely talented.

Savoie puts up the same numbers Yamamoto did in the same league, playing a similar game -- Yamo was far more physical as well and despite playing with the best players on earth couldn't produce at aa level good enough to stick in the NHL. Now on a PTO at age 25 after playing most seasons injured from being too small and slow.

While they don't play an identical game, the similarities pile up pretty quickly. The biggest issue is Savoie looks lazy on the ice. Again, you can get away with that if you're a Draisaitl level player. Otherwise you simply aren't going to be effective enough to play regular NHL minutes on a serious team.

Do you think they traded Savoie to us because of how good McLeod is? Because of how good Tullio is?
I kind of agree with the Yamamoto comparison, but Savoie has a much better shot, hands, and speed. They are both diminutive out there, but I wouldnt say Savoie is less physical than Yamamoto as they both get into stick battles and look to avoid body contact on the boards. I personally believe Savoie is the more talented of the two, and he really doesn't need to be physical playing in the top 6 (although it would be nice if he could bulk up). He will absolutely get his chance in the NHL.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
You know shit all buddy the f*** are you smoking and who do you think you are? You’re here for less than a month and you know everything?

To be fair, there’s a good chance that poster isn’t even an Oilers fan, or if so, is Jimmy Rustler #4794067303 to register, post some nonsense, get shadow-banned and reappear under a new name…again

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I agree with you until you mentioned Matthew Savoie as a tweener. You will find out very soon how off base you step with that assumption. This guy oozes talent and production at every level hes played at. Now he has to relax a bit and take the pressure off himself to be effective.
He has the talent, but like the poster said, he lacks the size and intensity to be an impact player. I hope Iam wrong but I have followed this kid since minor hockey in STA and would love him to break thru.

There is a reason he was routinely overlooked by Hockey Alberta, HC etc.

If he was can't miss Blue chip, there is no way Sabres move him.

The organization needs to support and be patient with him. But hold him accountable.

Iam pulling for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Savoie is like a Yamamoto type player, small and not quick/strong enough to overcome it -- again like a St. Louis/Gaudreau was. You can only make it in this league as a small/average speed/skilled player if you are sublimely talented.

Savoie puts up the same numbers Yamamoto did in the same league, playing a similar game -- Yamo was far more physical as well and despite playing with the best players on earth couldn't produce at aa level good enough to stick in the NHL. Now on a PTO at age 25 after playing most seasons injured from being too small and slow.

While they don't play an identical game, the similarities pile up pretty quickly. The biggest issue is Savoie looks lazy on the ice. Again, you can get away with that if you're a Draisaitl level player. Otherwise you simply aren't going to be effective enough to play regular NHL minutes on a serious team.

Do you think they traded Savoie to us because of how good McLeod is? Because of how good Tullio is?
Kerist no. Savoie is way more talented than Yama ever was and much more normal NHL size as well. Yama had limited talent and was outlier pint sized. Theres virtually no comparison between the two with the only commonality being they play hockey.

I must've missed where Yams was putting up 2pts a game. In your imagination.

but Jebus Savoie is several years younger than Yama and he's 25lbs heavier. How on earth is this the same type of player?

never really bought the physicality angle of Yams either. Sure he'd hit a few people. he'd give up a ton of pucks being hit, and he'd be down on the ice more than anybody.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Savoie was pretty noticeable in the game from what I saw. Wasn’t much happening without him making a play.

As a negative, I was hoping his skating was a bit more dynamic than I saw. As a positive, he was more aggressive and hounding the puck more than I expected.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
No, I've been an Oilers fan since I can remember and feel invested enough to post here and talk about the pros and cons of the club.
"Since I can remember" isn't real convincing. You're not even lying well.

ps poster starts new account not even a month ago, has more posts than anybody on the board in that time, and has the most posts in this thread and has already figured out how to hide his profile. Yeah, gee, sounds legit..lol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
"Since I can remember" isn't real convincing. You're not even lying well.

ps poster starts new account not even a month ago, has more posts than anybody on the board in that time, and has the most posts in this thread and has already figured out how to hide his profile. Yeah, gee, sounds legit..lol
They had some help with that, if you know what I mean. ;)

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You created your account Aug 20th, ya your definitely from the lower mainland.
Yeah, the sabres are an incredibly well run organization, they never make bad moves.
Something tells me bleatbloop really is three on zeros second profile....

I could be wrong... but man it's so eerily familiar dont you think....😄

Hate posting on the Oilers constantly, instigating, haha

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
You created your account Aug 20th, ya your definitely from the lower mainland.
Something tells me bleatbloop really is three on zeros second profile....

I could be wrong... but man it's so eerily familiar dont you think....😄

Hate posting on the Oilers constantly, instigating, haha
Would it shock anyone of that guy had a burner account going to extreme levels of being a troll.

I’m not even sure how his current trolling is out up with on this site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad