Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Absolutely nobody on this rookie team would last 2 games in the NHL before being sent to the ECHL. Don't let Stauffer fool you. Only ones I see are Savoie and Reilly. Savoie needs to step up and Reilly is at least 3 years away. My grandma could scout better talent past the 1st round then the group the Oilers have assembled.
did you expect any different when the D is almost entirely made up of camp invites?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Absolutely nobody on this rookie team would last 2 games in the NHL before being sent to the ECHL. Don't let Stauffer fool you. Only ones I see are Savoie and Reilly. Savoie needs to step up and Reilly is at least 3 years away. My grandma could scout better talent past the 1st round then the group the Oilers have assembled.
Again, our prospects aren't great, but 7 out of our best 10 prospects aren't at the tournament.

And before people ask who.

Rodrigue, Lavoie, Jarventie, Venni, LaChance, Berezkin, and Copponi.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yep, of course with a guy like Reilly we'll give him time. Late first rounder only 18 years old.

This is Savoie's third rookie camp. Petrov's fourth? Mitch Moroz was putting up more points than Petrov by the way. So was David Musil. We remember those guys?

This is Wanner's third rookie camp? These guys should look dominant out there at least for a single shift. Two games now and not one dominant shift in a tournament with 99% of the players never going to touch NHL regularity.

Look at what Holloway did in this tournament last year and he played the year in the AHL. Miles ahead of anyone else in the tourny.

Again, I understand being a fan of the club means you want to support the players in our stable. However, past Reilly and Rodrigue (Akey health pending), there isn't a single NHL regular player projected in there (IN MY OPINION).

It's looking grim, hopefully the new management group with Pracey can start finding some quality players past the top five.

Same response to you as McFlash.

Reactions: oilers'72

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
bro, look at other teams in the other rookie tournaments, some teams are losing 9-2. No team is full of players that are projected to make the NHL. All teams are full of invites and young draftees being introduced to pro hockey BEFORE training camp because in an NHL camp these people would not be playing/ have time to get introduced. Its purely a run a through and a throwaway meant to gain them experience. These kids are thrown together.

It's grim, but not because of this roster. We used to dominate this tournament and our AHL and NHL teams sucked. This means nothing, absolutely nothing and these players shouldn't even be wearing NHL jerseys. Heck Toronto is wearing practice jerseys in their games. This tournament is a glorified JR game.
We used to dominate the tournament because we had a litany of high end prospects who eventually went to the NHL and dominated/fit in.

Let me make it clear, I don't care at all if we're winning or losing games in the tournament. I'm watching the players play the sport on the ice, and not a single one of them in either game has had a shift of dominance where you'd think they should be playing above the level they're at (college/minor league/junior).

For a lot of these guys they're in their third/fourth prospect camps and should be dominating at this point if they actually have a shot of making the league as a regular player. It isn't happening. And I'll reiterate that for someone like O'Reilly, this being his first camp and a late first rounder, of course we give him some leeway.

Past him, none of the players on our tournament roster have a chance at making the league. The two guys who stood out last year (and no-one else) were Broberg and Holloway. Both of them were miles ahead of the competition and ended up playing meaningful playoff games for us in the SCF.

Nobody even comes close to sniffing their jockstraps in our prospect pool at the moment past POTENTIALLY O'Reilly, Rodrigue, and Akey.

Petrov will never play, Savoie will never play, Lavoie will never play, etc etc. These guys fit right in with the Bourgaults, Maksimovs, Safins, Bensons, Yakimovs, Zharkovs, Morozs, Gernats, Musils, Abneys, etc. Tweeners who realistically had no shot.

• Haha
Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We used to dominate the tournament because we had a litany of high end prospects who eventually went to the NHL and dominated/fit in.

Let me make it clear, I don't care at all if we're winning or losing games in the tournament. I'm watching the players play the sport on the ice, and not a single one of them in either game has had a shift of dominance where you'd think they should be playing above the level they're at (college/minor league/junior).

For a lot of these guys they're in their third/fourth prospect camps and should be dominating at this point if they actually have a shot of making the league as a regular player. It isn't happening. And I'll reiterate that for someone like O'Reilly, this being his first camp and a late first rounder, of course we give him some leeway.

Past him, none of the players on our tournament roster have a chance at making the league. The two guys who stood out last year (and no-one else) were Broberg and Holloway. Both of them were miles ahead of the competition and ended up playing meaningful playoff games for us in the SCF.

Nobody even comes close to sniffing their jockstraps in our prospect pool at the moment past POTENTIALLY O'Reilly, Rodrigue, and Akey.

Petrov will never play, Savoie will never play, Lavoie will never play, etc etc. These guys fit right in with the Bourgaults, Maksimovs, Safins, Bensons, Yakimovs, Zharkovs, Morozs, Gernats, Musils, Abneys, etc. Tweeners who realistically had no shot.
heard it here first folks
guy who's been here for 3 weeks has already declared who will and who won't be an NHL player lol

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
heard it here first folks
guy who's been here for 3 weeks has already declared who will and who won't be an NHL player lol
He has been around the league for years already with numerous rookie camps under his belt, and his play has always been lazy and rarely confrontational. He doesn't have anywhere near enough skill to look past the rest of his genetic/personality deficiencies. By this I mean he simply for whatever reason he doesn't possess the intensity required to make it at the NHL like a St. Louis did.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He has been around the league for years already with numerous rookie camps under his belt, and his play has always been lazy and rarely confrontational. He doesn't have anywhere near enough skill to look past the rest of his genetic/personality deficiencies. By this I mean he simply for whatever reason he doesn't possess the intensity required to make it at the NHL like a St. Louis did.
who are you talking about? if it's Savoie, he's produced at every level he's played at

Reactions: oilers'72

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

I agree with you until you mentioned Matthew Savoie as a tweener. You will find out very soon how off base you step with that assumption. This guy oozes talent and production at every level hes played at. Now he has to relax a bit and take the pressure off himself to be effective.

Reactions: ujju2

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

you have unrealistic expectations. This guys are gearing up for a long season and preparing for training camps, not coming in and going 110% for 3 games with unknown teammates and coaching staff.

also our prospects have never come in and dominated at the NHL level out of this tournament

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I wonder if our prospects dominating this tournament were due to how high we were always drafting?

Why are you writing Savoie off at 20 years old? When all hes done is produce elite numbers at every level.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
I agree with you until you mentioned Matthew Savoie as a tweener. You will find out very soon how off base you step with that assumption. This guy oozes talent and production at every level hes played at. Now he has to relax a bit and take the pressure off himself to be effective.
Savoie is like a Yamamoto type player, small and not quick/strong enough to overcome it -- again like a St. Louis/Gaudreau was. You can only make it in this league as a small/average speed/skilled player if you are sublimely talented.

Savoie puts up the same numbers Yamamoto did in the same league, playing a similar game -- Yamo was far more physical as well and despite playing with the best players on earth couldn't produce at aa level good enough to stick in the NHL. Now on a PTO at age 25 after playing most seasons injured from being too small and slow.

While they don't play an identical game, the similarities pile up pretty quickly. The biggest issue is Savoie looks lazy on the ice. Again, you can get away with that if you're a Draisaitl level player. Otherwise you simply aren't going to be effective enough to play regular NHL minutes on a serious team.

Do you think they traded Savoie to us because of how good McLeod is? Because of how good Tullio is?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Savoie is like a Yamamoto type player, small and not quick/strong enough to overcome it -- again like a St. Louis/Gaudreau was. You can only make it in this league as a small/average speed/skilled player if you are sublimely talented.

Savoie puts up the same numbers Yamamoto did in the same league, playing a similar game -- Yamo was far more physical as well and despite playing with the best players on earth couldn't produce at aa level good enough to stick in the NHL. Now on a PTO at age 25 after playing most seasons injured from being too small and slow.

While they don't play an identical game, the similarities pile up pretty quickly. The biggest issue is Savoie looks lazy on the ice. Again, you can get away with that if you're a Draisaitl level player. Otherwise you simply aren't going to be effective enough to play regular NHL minutes on a serious team.

Do you think they traded Savoie to us because of how good McLeod is? Because of how good Tullio is?
You lost me when you said Savoie isnt quick enough.

You could just save us all the energy and say you dont know anything about the player.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
I wonder if our prospects dominating this tournament were due to how high we were always drafting?

Why are you writing Savoie off at 20 years old? When all hes done is produce elite numbers at every level.
You are absolutely right in the first sentence. Good, NHL quality players dominate the tournament.

Savoie will not get bigger or faster to any significant extent, he has been to three of these now. Same numbers as Yamo, same size as Yamo, same issues as Yamo.

We can play him with McDrai and he can put up 30 points and we can call it a success, but the reality is he's a tweener.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You are absolutely right in the first sentence. Good, NHL quality players dominate the tournament.

Savoie will not get bigger or faster to any significant extent, he has been to three of these now. Same numbers as Yamo, same size as Yamo, same issues as Yamo.

We can play him with McDrai and he can put up 30 points and we can call it a success, but the reality is he's a tweener.
Same size as yamo?

You're really showing how clueless you are, one post at a time.

5'8 150 vs 5'10 180.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Again your so off base with your opinions its laughable. Yamamoto and Savoie are nothing alike. The natural talent and production of Savoie from an earlier age is levels above Yamamoto. Sure Yamamoto played more games in the CHL. However did you even watch Savoie last season ? His ability to maintain a high level of hockey deep into a playoff run being his teams best player. He played at a level far above what Yamamoto will ever get too.

Reactions: capazzo and Duke74

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Same size as yamo?

You're really showing how clueless you are, one post at a time.

5'8 150 vs 5'10 180.
Where are you getting that information? Not only do they look the same size on the sheet -- from NHL.COM:

Yamo - 5'8" 153
Savoie - 5'9" 179

Both small, average speed players. Average for the NHL mind you.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Savoie has elite speed.

Just say you dont know much about the player.
He did when he was 13, we're all aware of his prodigy status.

Go watch any of his highlights or even watch the games in this tournament. He does not stand out whatsoever when the puck is on his stick or when he's skating. Average.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Where are you getting that information? Not only do they look the same size on the sheet -- from NHL.COM:

Yamo - 5'8" 153
Savoie - 5'9" 179

Both small, average speed players. Average for the NHL mind you.
Bro quit it already. You sound like a bitter fan of another team. Savoie is nothing like Yamamoto. He doesnt move like Yamamoto, hes heavier, 2 inches taller and a much better skater at 20 than Yams man. Hes IQ is levels above Yamamoto and if he was glued to McDrai in his early 20s like Yamamoto he wouldn't be at 30 points 😄. His hockey smarts alone would not him 60 plus without batting a sweat

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Bro quit it already. You sound like a bitter fan of another team. Savoie is nothing like Yamamoto. He doesnt move like Yamamoto, hes heavier, 2 inches taller and a much better skater at 20 than Yams man. Hes IQ is levels above Yamamoto and if he was glued to McDrai in his early 20s like Yamamoto he wouldn't be at 30 points 😄. His hockey smarts alone would not him 60 plus without batting a sweat
Why did Buffalo trade him for Ryan McLeod, a player most of the users here were pleading to get rid of because he was overpaid at 2 million a year? Someone who is a literal do- nothing, and give us this incredibly talent 60 point no sweat scoring forward?

Give your head a shake.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It's because he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad