Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not a lot going on. Jager the best player on the ice.

Wanner looks pretty sold though Brar miscalled Davidson on a defensive breakdown by Wanner. Not a lot out there. Oil not great in the dot. Wakely a few sparks but like this roster a fair bit of meh play. Nichols looks good with raw skating and some skill. Reminds me of a small Cliff Pu a similar young finesse guy on a Memorial Cup competitive team. We'll see what kind of jump Nichols can create with more junior ice-time.

Need way more from veteran Petrov.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Just an OHL fan and reading forums.

Glad to see OHL had good year this year at NHL draft.

Some good surprises out there for many teams and yes some disappointments.

I have watched Nichol for 2 years and his best was when he played Jr. B. Great wheels but needs to be more of a presence. Just my opinion.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Colin Chaulk is also awful at setting up lines and especially the powerplay. Why doesn’t he have Savoie on the hash marks so they can untilize his great passing? O’Reilly should be in the Savoie’s spot circling because he has size and a good shot

Reactions: oilers'72

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Not going to read much into it, but the general takeaway (Small sample and all) is our cupboards are fairly bare. Which we knew. Hope Savoie and O'Reilly pan out over time. Wanner is somewhat interesting, but I didn't really see anything that should stop us using him as trade piece for the 2RD upgrade. Injuries could really hurt us if things go that way this year, not much confidence in the next man up if it gets to this pool.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Disappointing that they only scored 1 goal in three games.

Other teams had rookie dmen and Goalies, so we cant use the excuse that Edmonton went up against all AHL or NHL tier talent.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Disappointing that they only scored 1 goal in three games.

Other teams had rookie dmen and Goalies, so we cant use the excuse that Edmonton went up against all AHL or NHL tier talent.
I think part of it is chaulk isn’t a very good coach, especially for getting offense

Reactions: McTonyBrar

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is Colin Chaulk a systems guy? Or is this a really poor coaching decision for a part of our organization that is going to have to churn out quite a few plug-and-play options for the bottom half of our NHL roster in the coming seasons?

I just haven't been impressed with the decisions he makes in regards to putting our prospects in positions to produce.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Colin Chaulk is also awful at setting up lines and especially the powerplay. Why doesn’t he have Savoie on the hash marks so they can untilize his great passing? O’Reilly should be in the Savoie’s spot circling because he has size and a good shot
Hard to say if Chaulk set the lines or an organizational decision above him. He stuck rigidly to his line combinations even with little to no scoring opportunity through 2 of 3 games (I didn't see the Flamers game). This was clear with O'Reilly in the 1C spot and Savoie on the wing then rolling Clattenberg at first line wing with veteran Petrov in a secondary line role.

Looked like clear intent to get the two organization top young players top ice time and where they slot out even though there's some speculation Savoie might get some pro seasoning at centre. Just to add keeping Clatterberg glued to the top line skill seems intent to see this hard ice player's response to rolling with talent versus crashing and banging down the lineup.

Little to no creativity behind the bench. But the directive might be coming from above.

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad