Rumor: Oilers may be out (for now) on Karlsson due to $$. Looking at Klingberg & Gostisbehere as alternatives

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't know what you mean...?

- The Luongo contract is a completely different situation that was unfairly thrust upon this team and shockingly not challenged in court by Aquilini. The league approved the contract as they did other contracts, and retroactively applied a penalty.
- We only have cap space this season because of LTIR. We won't have any space next season when these players are no longer injured.
- What does "learning to live with deadcap" even mean? lol

Would have just been lighting money on fire for legal fees. Not a snowflake‘s chance in hell they could have won a court case.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As a Flames fan I fully endorse the plan of going after players like Karlsson, Klingberg and Gostisbehere. They need to stay away from the 2 Chicago guys, Gavrikov and anyone else who can actually defend top 9 forwards.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nobody is retaining for what 5 years. thst is not happening.
The Leafs did with Kessel. The Sharks has already said they are will to retain 20% hitch is 2.3 million for 5 years so your wrong . The Oilers want 5M retained and that’s not happening. Solution zero retention but Campbell has to go back

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ahahah the Oilers want $5m retained? No way in hell they get a Norris d-man for $6m cap hit long term without giving up every little piece of value in the their prospect pool. And even then, not much enticing there.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ahahah the Oilers want $5m retained? No way in hell they get a Norris d-man for $6m cap hit long term without giving up every little piece of value in the their prospect pool. And even then, not much enticing there.
Oilers probably want something more like 8 million aav instead of the 9.2 rumored, but thats assuming that Holland has sense.

I'd agree a 6 million aav is silly

Reactions: majormajor

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Oilers probably want something more like 8 million aav instead of the 9.2 rumored, but thats assuming that Holland has sense.

I'd agree a 6 million aav is silly
I mean, I'd listen, but I'd be asking for everything the Oilers have as far as prospects/picks.

I'm talking Holloway + Bourgault + 1st + cap dump. Maybe more, depending on retention. I think the Oilers would rightly balk at that. I just don't think our teams are a fit.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why in the world do some oilers fans want EK? Scoring goals and their PP isn’t the problem. He’s the last guy I’d want to spend decent futures on if I was an oilers fan
I think the need on D is to add someone who can handle top pairing minutes and duties because Ceci, Barrie and Bouchard can't handle them.

Klingberg I guess can handle the minutes and hopefully forces Nurse to focus on his defense and physicality instead of jumping up in play ..

Ghost makes no sense.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I mean, I'd listen, but I'd be asking for everything the Oilers have as far as prospects/picks.

I'm talking Holloway + Bourgault + 1st + cap dump. Maybe more, depending on retention. I think the Oilers would rightly balk at that. I just don't think our teams are a fit.
Honestly that's a fair deal, even a good one from an Oilers perspective. But, I don't see any GM gamble to that high a degree for even a great player with an injury history and getting up in age. And Holland is more conservative than most

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Honestly that's a fair deal, even a good one from an Oilers perspective. But, I don't see any GM gamble to that high a degree for even a great player with an injury history and getting up in age. And Holland is more conservative than most
Yeah that's fair. I obviously don't speak for all Sharks fans, but that's the kind of return I'd look at to even consider a deal.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Then Chris Jhonston was a liar today

Don't get your panties in a knot b/c a very good player is waiving to go there if it all works out lol. They would not even be speaking this much if he didn't want to.
Until it actually happens it’s just pure speculation he would waive

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Hopefully McDavid will remember this combination of posturing and refusal to spend a couple of million to get a deal done, along with the weak efforts to improve the goaltending and defense positions when his current deal ends.

One can blame the brainwashing of the draft system and preying on younger minds who will believe management’s lies when they sign that first extension, but he’ll only have himself to blame if he extends again with the Oilers.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Vegas just opened up a lot of cap room and they're always big game hunting. I could see them sneaking in.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chychrun is more well rounded than some people realize, and is only 4.5 for two more years, but Holland seems one of those guys who values tuff in defensemen or it’s not defense

Don’t know what the trade price would be but surely less than Karlssons, if they’re going to go that route.

Karlsson would cost more money for longer, has an injury history himself and is older. Maybe I’m wrong he’d cost more in a trade, but Chychrun has strong all around numbers on a bad team two and while Edmonton could use better breakouts (check mark Chychrun) they could also use better defenders
Chychrun's are inflated from playing a primary offensive role at both even strength and on the powerplay in Arizona. They're roles he wouldn't be seeing much of in Edmonton. He would be deployed as a second pairing defenseman sharing the responsibilities of playing with a bottom six that the team would be required to pare down in any deal where he's acquired.

It just just doesn't make sense paying the exorbitant asking price knowing that you have a player in Philip Broberg likely primed for that very role in the not too distant future.

In regards to Karlsson, it's difficult to see how it would work because it's an unprecedented trade factoring in the moving parts required to facilitate. Not even considering that it's a player with so many question marks playing at the top of his game. But it makes sense because the spot on the top pair is a clear role the Oilers don't really have a long term solution for.

I have an inkling that Evan Bouchard could be a trade chip this summer for a significant defenseman to address that need long-term. But in season a trade like that is just too complicated. And their current cap situation just makes it that much harder to make a deal work.
Also it’s debatable exactly how much of the breakouts problem is defensemen vs forwards/system. Their forwards are constantly flying the zone, having forwards stay closer for support passes could help

I haven’t followed him to know what the Chychrun ask is but if you’d willingly pay out the ass either way, could they go for Schenn and Chychrun and move one of their current defenders (Barrie?) and basically any picks or younger prospects and ship off an expensive forward?

I don’t follow Edmonton so I’m genuinely asking
That being said I agree that the system can play a part in proper transition. But with their top pair of Nurse - Ceci it's a clear weakness. And there's a concern with pushing Ceci down the roster to pair with Kulak, who is also not a confident passer.

It's difficult to see how their defense evolves adding either of Ghost or Klingberg, but the idea is alleviating some of the workload on that top pairing.

Edmundson for 1st + Bourgault
I'd make a similar proposal for the Canucks, but they don't have any prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Chychrun's are inflated from playing a primary offensive role at both even strength and on the powerplay in Arizona. They're roles he wouldn't be seeing much of in Edmonton. He would be deployed as a second pairing defenseman sharing the responsibilities of playing with a bottom six that the team would be required to pare down in any deal where he's acquired.

It just just doesn't make sense paying the exorbitant asking price knowing that you have a player in Philip Broberg likely primed for that very role in the not too distant future.

In regards to Karlsson, it's difficult to see how it would work because it's an unprecedented trade factor in the moving parts required to facilitate a player with so many question marks playing at the top of his game. But it makes sense because the spot on the top pair is a clear role the Oilers don't really have a long term solution for.

I have an inkling that Evan Bouchard could be a trade chip this summer for a significant defenseman to address that need long-term. But in season a trade like that is just too complicated. And their current cap situation just makes it that much harder to make a deal work.

That being said I agree that the system can play a part in proper transition. But with their top pair of Nurse - Ceci it's a clear weakness. And there's a concern with pushing Ceci down the roster to pair with Kulak, who is also not a confident passer.

It's difficult to see how their defense evolves adding either of Ghost or Klingberg, but the idea is alleviating some of the workload on that top pairing.

I'd make a similar proposal for the Canucks, but they don't have any prospects.
Eh, the teams have pretty similar prospect pools. Neither has any real impact players ready to make the jump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad