Proposal: Oilers - Leafs (with SJ as 3rd team)

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
A trade to benefit both sides.

Oilers get: Mitch Marner (50% retention) + Timothy Liljegren + Fraser Minten

Leafs get: Darnell Nurse + Philip Broberg + Dylan Holloway

San Jose get: 2024 Toronto 1st for retaining on Mitch Marner

My reasoning behind this trade:
This is almost purely a cap space move by the Oilers. They can use Marner as rental for one season or extend him.
Leafs do this to add more defence. They also improve their last ranked prospect/young player depth by adding Broberg and Holloway.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

This is almost purely a cap space move by the Oilers. They can use Marner as rental for one season or extend him.
Leafs do this to add more defence. They also improve their last ranked prospect/young player depth by adding Broberg and Holloway.

SJ is out of retention spots until next season but I definitely would have done it for one year of retention on Marner.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Don't think I do it as a Leafs fan even if EDM is the one paying SJS to retain.

Nurse isn't really good enough to be on your top pair unless you pair him with an elite defensive #1 guy like Seider. Otherwise, he should be second pairing. Sure, he's big and physical and still in his 20s, but that cap hit is too high for a 2nd pair guy. Leafs trying Nurse - Rielly as a top pair would be very likely to not be good enough to win a cup with, and at that cap hit and giving up Marner and Minten, it doesn't really make sense.

If Leafs sign Pesce for a $7.25m cap hit, that would be $2m cheaper on the cap and maybe actually work as a top D pair on a championship team. It also wouldn't cost the Leafs assets. We could also look at Hronek instead of Nurse, who would have a lower cap hit and maybe work as a top pair with Rielly.

Nurse would probably look best with Seider or Parayko. Call up DET or STL.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I mean. This is questionable. Is Nurse the kind of guy they need to add to their defense? Liljegren disappointed this year but he’s still a young #4/5 level blueliner - Broberg isn’t even close to that at this point. And I think many folks would prefer Minten’s trajectory to Holloway’s even if neither becomes more than a depth support piece at the end of the day. Not sure how those swaps “help the Leafs prospect/young player depth”.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Edmonton and Toronto aren't a great pair for trades since both are in their window, right now.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't even know how many 1sts you'd have to give me to take on Nurse's deal. This is all kinds of horrible for Toronto, hilarious that they're sending the 1st to have Mitch retained too lol. Oilers somehow retain 100% of Nurses' contract and Leafs think about it maybe

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Hell no. Nurse is an anchor. At worst we lose Mitch in free agency but at least we get his cap space.
I personally believe any MM trade should be for prospects and picks (cap savings). These can be used at the trade deadline.

I don’t want a ton of contracts back unless it’s a really decent RD or C.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lmfao what? First off the Leafs have no interest in taking on that salary dump. Second, 50% retention on Marner costs only $400k after his July 1 bonus, which certainly doesn't warrant a 1st rd pick.

Horrible deal for the Leafs. I'd rather Mitch walk for nothing as a UFA

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Wow is this a bad trade, Nurse is negative value. We give up Marner and a 1st?

He's been getting bashed on this forum heavily but he's still a top 10, 90+ ppg player in the league lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Leaf fans don't want Nurse, but it wouldn't shock me if Treliving took a look at him. I don't think they would consider him without some salary retention though (1.5-2 M maybe, or more), so I don't think this trade really has any legs. I'm not especially interested in Marner from Edmonton's perspective either. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, and a steal if that cap savings is included, but we need to fix our depth, and if we trade Nurse, we would need a guy to lead our 2nd pair.

It would hurt like heck to lose Holloway too. That kid is going to be a good middle six winger for a long time moving forward.

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
its okay for someone that wants to destroy the Leafs, since its utterly horrible for them.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Why wouldnt Leafs keep Marner if Nurse is the best Leafs could do....Marners contract expires next year and they can use that cap space better than Nurse LOL.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
HF boards user “Brobust” trying to slip Broberg into a prospect like he has any value.

This is horrendous for the Leafs. Just horrific. You aren’t getting out of the Nurse contract that easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00