Claimed off Waivers: Oilers claim Nathan Walker

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Caps beat reporter Isabelle Khurshudyan saying on Twitter Oilers weren't the only team to put in a claim.

Alright Caps fans, what have we got here? All the scouting reports I've read say he's fast, gritty, likes to crash and bang, and is a great team guy.

Young Matt Hendricks?
Like others have said, this is a decent comparison. I'd say Hendricks is a lot better of a fighter, but Walker can decently hold his own and isn't afraid to back down from anyone. Walker will constantly be yapping after the whistles and getting under guys skin. I'm sure players love hearing his Aussie accent when he chirps them.

Contrary to Barry Trotz, Nathan Walker did kill penalties in Hershey and was even used in 5 on 3 situations. Sounds like Edmonton is going to try to get him some PK minutes according to Jim Matheson on twitter.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Sponsor
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Alright Caps fans, what have we got here? All the scouting reports I've read say he's fast, gritty, likes to crash and bang, and is a great team guy.

He is an undersized spare-part fourth-line forward. He was a bit of a *minor* fan favorite for some Caps fans because of his Aussie status and undersized/underdog status. Those fans will tell you that the Caps made a mistake in waiving him, and that he's a valuable player--because "he hustles" or "he forechecks" or "he agitates" or "he plays with energy" or "he gets under the opponent's skin." But, in my opinion, those are the absolute BARE MINIMUM expectations of a fourth-line forward trying to get more ice time--those are NOT things you're supposed to give him a pat on the back for. And he wasn't particularly outstanding in terms of meeting those bare-minimum expectations, either. Yes, he throws his undersized body around, but he's too small to be effective in that role--he usually just bounces off the bigger players, and it rarely creates a turnover.

He was a spare-part forward who couldn't earn ice time on a mediocre and injury-plagued Capitals team. And one could argue that the only reason he made the team in the first place was because he'd have to pass through waivers, and the team wanted to see if he could cut it in the NHL. Which he couldn't. Not with the Caps, at least.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Good claim but I think this means a trade is coming. Before the claim one of Cagguila/Khaira/Slepyshev/Cammaleri would have to sit because there were too many players. Bringing in another bottom 6 guy will either force 2 of them out or waste Walker in the press box.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Good claim but I think this means a trade is coming. Before the claim one of Cagguila/Khaira/Slepyshev/Cammaleri would have to sit because there were too many players. Bringing in another bottom 6 guy will either force 2 of them out or waste Walker in the press box.
Pakarinen was waived as a result of this.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Pakarinen was waived as a result of this.
I'm aware. They still have too many players. 2 of those will have to sit.

Lines last night:

Lucic-McD-Puljujarvi
Maroon-RNH-Slepyshev
Cagguila-Draisaitl-Strome
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

No Cammareli. Where does Walker fit? As I said, 2 will need to sit. I think a trade is coming; TSN insiders said Chiarelli is looking for a deal that involves a Khaira/Slepyshev/Cagguila type.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Lines last night:

Lucic-McD-Puljujarvi
Maroon-RNH-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

No Cammareli. Where does Walker fit? As I said, 2 will need to sit. I think a trade is coming; TSN insiders said Chiarelli is looking for a deal that involves a Khaira/Slepyshev/Cagguila type.

I don't think it's Khaira. Big, versatile, good skater, and 6 points in the last 13 games exclusively playing bottom six minutes. I'm wondering if they're looking to give Khaira a bigger role actually.

Caggiula probably has the most value of the three.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
I don't think it's Khaira. Big, versatile, good skater, and 6 points in the last 13 games exclusively playing bottom six minutes. I'm wondering if they're looking to give Khaira a bigger role actually.

Caggiula probably has the most value of the three.
I think so too. I don't see the point in bringing in Walker and sitting him or 2 of those other guys who all deserve to be playing. Something is up.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Lines last night:

Lucic-McD-Puljujarvi
Maroon-RNH-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

They wont move Cagguila or IMO Khaira...so that likely leaves 1 or both of Cammalleri or Slep being moved.

Friedman said the Oilers have shown interest in Ian Cole ...wonder if Slep could be part of a deal there..or even Alex Petrovic

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They wont move Cagguila or IMO Khaira...so that likely leaves 1 or both of Cammalleri or Slep being moved.

Friedman said the Oilers have shown interest in Ian Cole ...wonder if Slep could be part of a deal there..or even Alex Petrovic
Here's the other wrinkle IMO with going after a d-man. What exactly are we going to do in a month from now when Sekera is back? Sure Cole and Petrovic would be nice, but there is no way we are going to acquire those guys when we have Klef, Larsson, Sekera, Russell, Nurse and Benning.

Something doesn't make a lot of sense. Then again we have been running 14 forwards all year.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Lines last night:

Lucic-McD-Puljujarvi
Maroon-RNH-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

It's pretty standard to carry 14 forwards unless you're carrying 8 defensemen.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good depth signing here for the Oilers. Depth was an issue for the team, Walker will help fix that.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
It's pretty standard to carry 14 forwards unless you're carrying 8 defensemen.
Yes but the 14 they have are good enough to be playing every game. The case is usually carrying 2 extra depth players in the event of an injury. I'm not sure Cammaleri and Walker are those guys. Why claim Walker if you're barely going to use him? Oil aren't going to drop Khaira from the lineup the way he's played. I can understand rotating Cagguila/Slepyshev/Cammaleri but adding Walker to that rotation seems a bit much and I wouldn't consider any of them 13/14th guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad