Claimed off Waivers: Oilers claim Nathan Walker

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
A funny coincidence is that the same rule that prevented the Oilers from signing Tkachev to a contract had been used a couple years prior to keep Walker from being signed. Afaik they're the only two players recently that were unable to be signed due to that rule.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
no one said Walker is the savior here.

W are talking about swapping a 12/13 fwd for another /13 fwd that cant at least skates better. If he can get to a loose puck and atleast handle the puck better than Paks..then I don't see an issue.

Don't you know? Edmonton should do nothing unless it is to trade for the bestest ever. Minor deals are not allowed.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Caps beat reporter Isabelle Khurshudyan saying on Twitter Oilers weren't the only team to put in a claim.

Alright Caps fans, what have we got here? All the scouting reports I've read say he's fast, gritty, likes to crash and bang, and is a great team guy.

Young Matt Hendricks?
Yeah this comes pretty close but he projects more skill than Hendricks ever did, though Hendo had his moments and would fight anybody. Walker also seems willing to get dirty. I see him as the guy who scored by skill in the AHL but will have to score "manufactured" goals to be successful in the NHL. The Caps obviously favored Graovac and Connolly over him and I'm guessing the main factor was his size and financial constraints forced their hands.

I see him as the most recent Cody Eakin in that Caps fans liked him and you want to cheer for him and he seems to have a lot of promise. Then he goes to another team, in retrospect Caps fans decry the circumstances of his leaving, he does well for a while then his new team signs him to a contract they end up regretting and ultimately he becomes the career third line guy he always was. But of course that's a lot of projection.

For now I think he's better than Pakarinen and may fit Chiarelli and Mclellan's philosophy better. Oiler fans MIGHT be pleasantly surprised by his motor and give-a-f*** but WONT be disappointed with him.

Reactions: RattsSSV

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Walker is underrated and has some solid playmaking talent. Just wasn't able to showcase his game on a club as deep as the Capitals are. I think this is a decent move for Oilers, he should help with the secondary scoring woes that plague them.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Me too, it is rare that I have no idea who a player is. When I looked him up, I realized he was the Aussie kid that scored in his NHL debut. It's the only time I noticed him play but he seemed to be quick and like to throw the body around.
Ya same when I looked him I remembered the piece TSN or Sportnet did on him being the first Aussie player and his parents coming to see him etc.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Claiming Walker isn't going to change the Oilers' fates, but that doesn't mean it was a bad claim. Poor asset management from Washington here all around. Walker has to prove he can sustain over a larger sample, but his early returns were encouraging enough that he should have stayed in the line-up more. Speedy energy forward that's willing to drive the dirty parts of the ice with a decent hockey IQ. Undersized, so he's never going to dominate along the boards or in the crease, but he was good at keeping the puck on the correct half of the ice.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Caps beat reporter Isabelle Khurshudyan saying on Twitter Oilers weren't the only team to put in a claim.

Alright Caps fans, what have we got here? All the scouting reports I've read say he's fast, gritty, likes to crash and bang, and is a great team guy.

Young Matt Hendricks?

Smart claim. Worst case, he's a healthy scratch that can provide speed/energy when they need it. Could be entertaining to see him on a line with Kassian.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Smart claim. Worst case, he's a healthy scratch that can provide speed/energy when they need it. Could be entertaining to see him on a line with Kassian.

Been cheering for the guy ever since his first pre-season.

He didn't even hesitate to jump in vs. Shaw in the 2016 pre-season after Shaw boarded a teammate.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Me too, it is rare that I have no idea who a player is. When I looked him up, I realized he was the Aussie kid that scored in his NHL debut. It's the only time I noticed him play but he seemed to be quick and like to throw the body around.

he played in the ahl for hershey for a year and THEN washington drafted him with a 3rd rounder

it was interesting

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Good one Chia...it was a tough decision, he couldn't find anyone that could snipe it into his own net. Nathan Walker it is.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Oilers trade Jussi Jokinen for Mike Cammalleri, claim Nathan Walker off waivers.

Reminds me of the time the Oilers traded Mark Arcobello for Derek Roy, claimed Matt Fraser off waivers.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oilers trade Jussi Jokinen for Mike Cammalleri, claim Nathan Walker off waivers.

Reminds me of the time the Oilers traded Mark Arcobello for Derek Roy, claimed Matt Fraser off waivers.

Derek Roy was excellent for the Oilers. The only time Yak looked like a top-6er was with Roy.

Matt Fraser. Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad