GDT: Oilers at Coyotes || Overcoming Tippett's Trappers || 7:30 p.m. MDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
Heart says we lose with piss poor effort.
Head says we lose with piss poor effort.
Jesus says we lose with piss poor effort.
Satan says we lose with piss poor effort.

Time Machine says we win with mediocore performance and luck.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Whats up with their goalie, this will be only his second game he did manage to shutout the preds in his first game. Hopefully he's not all that good tonight.

He wasn't that good. It was just a massively one sided game. We should be able to light them up if we can get by the defense and get enough shots

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I haven't noticed a lot of differences between Krueger and Renney yet. The Calgary game looked like the same crap we have been watching for the past two years.

Let's see if we look any different against Phoenix tonight than we have in the past couple seasons.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Krueger is driving me crazy with this Potter/Fistric crap.

Perhaps there is a pre existing condition going on here if you are worried about our 6th/7th defensemen. Last time I checked we finished 30, 30 and 29th the last three years. That's the least of our problems.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Coyotes are not really a trap team, they use an adjusted hybrid system that catalyses its momentum out of the neutral zone, players in nearly all zone positions cheat to the neutral zone side and try to keep the play compressed in their wheelhouse the neutral zone. The Yotes do not bring the offense in flowing rushes or set transition plays, instead they try to control the territory on the ice and gap themselves as they cycle so they can generate turnovers which they immediatly transition into offense in short direct charges directly at the net and from everywhere spontaneously. Its a good tactic but easy to defeat if you use a controlled 3 transition system and carry the puck using give and gos with about 30% of your early neutral zone possesions like two feet out of your d-zone converted to long stretch passes down the middle where their game is weak. We just cant pass long from deep in our zone trying to beat them in the neutral zone because thats their wheelhouse, when we execute our first transition from deep in our zone we need to rush the puck at them hard with our d-men and then either challenge the n-zone and carry on or make that long fast pass-the important thing is to push them with a possesion move on our defense right to the neutral zone, the short passes in our defensive zone are what they are looking to target so no shortys, just lug it up and force them back the either make a stretch pass or sprint up into some give and gos. We need to limit their ability to generate neutral zone turnovers by picking off passes or by outnumbering us as we come through, they like to stack two players and pick the puck carrier with the first guy through making contact and have the trailer bust out on the n-zone down the middle, so we need to also provide a two deep offensive stack as we challenge the neutral zone, where they travel in pairs to use the legal pick play we travel in pairs with tight support. If skate the puck up with support and make our first pass decisions - not deep or mid defensive zone - but after we use a safe supported possesion skate the puck to our blueline and pressure them back into the neutral zone we will be able to transition out of our zone easily. The last thing to remember is to not pass if we can help it through the neutral zone unless it is an early neutral zone bomb breakout pass down the middle which is there all night lonw with the Yotes system. 30% of our first transitions should be stretch passes made either two feet on our side of the blueline or two feet into the neutral zone to stop them from cheating their defense up to support the neutral zone, they will try to give us the long breakout passes from deep in our d-zone to bait us, we need to use the shorter version straight up the middle to bust their neutral zone support structure. The Coyotes have an easy system to beat if you maintain possesion on your stick and limit your long passes , rushing relays by stacked players either two or three deep is the way to steamroll them right through the middle of the neutral zone and to the net, MPS will have a fieldday with his speed and size if he busts down the middle because they are so weak there.

I like your assesment of the dynamics of the Coyotes system it is bang on.

You have officially used the term 'neutral zone' more in that single post than in the entire run of Star Trek: TOS.

I can't decide if you're a genius, or certifiably insane. Either way, I'm entertained.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Perhaps there is a pre existing condition going on here if you are worried about our 6th/7th defensemen. Last time I checked we finished 30, 30 and 29th the last three years. That's the least of our problems.

When the easiest problem to fix is not being fixed, it becomes a big problem.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I haven't noticed a lot of differences between Krueger and Renney yet. The Calgary game looked like the same crap we have been watching for the past two years.

Let's see if we look any different against Phoenix tonight than we have in the past couple seasons.

Really? Look no further than players ice time if you want to see a difference. Krueger isn't scared to play the young guys, and he's not scared to play for the win, instead of trying to hold out and get a tie. Another big factor for me, is it seems like any time we're getting killed, Krueger's able to turn the team around

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton

All I can say is they better be showcasing him for a trade or something.

I don't think it's the biggest problem but when something so obvious doesn't get addressed I start to worry.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

There's no way that Renney would have played Hall/Ebs/Nuge this much.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Really? Look no further than players ice time if you want to see a difference. Krueger isn't scared to play the young guys, and he's not scared to play for the win, instead of trying to hold out and get a tie. Another big factor for me, is it seems like any time we're getting killed, Krueger's able to turn the team around

Have we even been in a position at any point this year to hold out and play for a tie? We've probably played 6 minutes of tied, third period hockey this season. It'll be interesting to see how we play when going into the third period in a tie game or with a one goal lead.

The kids were going to get ice time this year regardless of who the coach is. It's part of their natural progression. Last year they were sheltered, this year they aren't. That was most likely the plan all along.

I haven't noticed Krueger's ability to turn around the team. There's been a couple situations where the other team's momentum has been killed by an intermission, but it seems like when we are getting destroyed in a period we continue to get destroyed until the period is over. We never have an answer.

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
Have we even been in a position at any point this year to hold out and play for a tie? We've probably played 6 minutes of tied, third period hockey this season. It'll be interesting to see how we play when going into the third period in a tie game or with a one goal lead.

The kids were going to get ice time this year regardless of who the coach is. It's part of their natural progression. Last year they were sheltered, this year they aren't. That was most likely the plan all along.

I haven't noticed Krueger's ability to turn around the team. There's been a couple situations where the other team's momentum has been killed by an intermission, but it seems like when we are getting destroyed in a period we continue to get destroyed until the period is over. We never have an answer.

Yakupov getting OT time in his first NHL is about as risky as it gets.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just an update for the Coyotes, Hanzal is questionable tonight. I don't believe he took part in the morning skate this morning either.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
well, i just picked him up off FA

time to... drop him again

thanks guys

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
A game the Oilers should realistically take but for some reason always have trouble against these kind of squads. I expect a boring 2-1 win.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am still waiting for that true offensive burst from the Oilers that seems to be comming. Thought it would be on Calgary or Col. Suppose it is unlikely to be against the tight Pho but I will still hope.

Gonna go with Oilers 7 Pho 2.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It was pretty obvious after about November last year that Smyth, Horcoff, Belanger, etc needed to play way less and the young players way more. Renney wasn't wise enough to make that obvious adjustment for basically the whole season.

This year we have players playing in the roles where they belong.

Oilton

Oct 9, 2009
Airdrie
Can somebody please confirm that the game is on sportsnet west, channel 027 for shaw users. I have checked the menu on sportsnet west and sportsnet one and the game isn't shown on either of them.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad