Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So what we want is Pittsburgh to miss the playoffs this year ... and then be really bad the following year (2016-2017) right? That might give us a top 10 pick in 2017 ... vs. a 16-24 pick in 2016.

Or do we want the 16-24 pick in 2016?

I am assuming Pittsburgh does not get far in the playoffs and our pick is 16-24.

Both years are lottery protected by the Pens..

Leafs can not receive a pick earlier than #15th from the Kessel trade.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think this might be best case scenerio for that Pens pick this year. They certainly don't look like a team that will lead their division or the East. But I don't think a team that offensively talented will miss either. I see the Pens getting into the playoffs in a lower seed than they usually have.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting ... so what happens if the Pens finish dead last for the next 2 years?
Do we not get a 1st round pick for Kessel?

CI2XNgHWIAAsHtu-1.png

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I honestly do not understand how we weren't able to get an unconditional 1st from Pittsburgh, especially considering the fact that we had to retain salary. I don't even care that we didn't get Pouliot from them, but the lottery protected 1st was us getting bent over backwards by Rutherford of all people.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I honestly do not understand how we weren't able to get an unconditional 1st from Pittsburgh, especially considering the fact that we had to retain salary. I don't even care that we didn't get Pouliot from them, but the lottery protected 1st was us getting bent over backwards by Rutherford of all people.

Still ****ing baffles me. If we had Lou Lam we could have very well ended up with the unprotected first OR not retained any salary.

Jim Rutheford has been in the game for a long time and he took advantage of our inexperienced management at the time.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
If the Pens miss the playoffs the next 2 years the Leafs don't get a 1st rounder but get Pens 2nd rounder in 2017 instead.

This kinda sucks no? With the Leaf curse i would predict Kessel has a good personal stats year ... but makes the Pens worse. Saw him floating back on Montreals first goal the other night.

The Pens scraped into the playoffs last year ... and i think might miss this year.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Guys, it's been three games. Settle down.

The Penguins haven't missed the playoffs since 2005-2006, Crosby's second season in the NHL. They've added some more depth to their forwards, with Bonino, Perron, Hornqvist, Kessel, Kunitz, Fehr srrounding Malkin and Crosby. They're likely just figuring out the chemistry issue. It's highly unlikely that they just crash and burn this year. They haven't lost any significant pieces that would make that likely.

It hasn't even been a month into the season everyone. There hasn't even been ten games. This happens every year, and every year people freak out over some slow start, or unsustainable nobody.

Settle down.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Still ****ing baffles me. If we had Lou Lam we could have very well ended up with the unprotected first OR not retained any salary.

Jim Rutheford has been in the game for a long time and he took advantage of our inexperienced management at the time.

I don't really understand how you can think that Shanny doesn't have enough experience to know he was getting fleeced due to inexperience, yet you have no problem seeing it?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

neither.
Pittsburgh basically has no depth in the minors. they already gave up a whackado of picks, and whatever we were going to get his year. + next year (the year after). their ownership did not want to do that.

quiet frankly, there is no way to think that that wouldn't have been the consideration had Lou been involved. most 1st round picks now are protected. I don't understand why people feel that Pittsburgh's shouldn't have been (well, okay, I do - but again... they BARELY made it to the playoffs, and people were all like what if edmonton won McDavid (ugh). with pittsburgh's UNPROTECTED pick) then we're all like I can't believe Rutherford PROTECTED their pick (like he was going to make the same dumb mistake twice).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
neither.
Pittsburgh basically has no depth in the minors. they already gave up a whackado of picks, and whatever we were going to get his year. + next year (the year after). their ownership did not want to do that.

quiet frankly, there is no way to think that that wouldn't have been the consideration had Lou been involved. most 1st round picks now are protected. I don't understand why people feel that Pittsburgh's shouldn't have been (well, okay, I do - but again... they BARELY made it to the playoffs, and people were all like what if edmonton won McDavid (ugh). with pittsburgh's UNPROTECTED pick) then we're all like I can't believe Rutherford PROTECTED their pick (like he was going to make the same dumb mistake twice).

The only other thing I think you could have realistically done is make it top 5-10 protected.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Guys, seriously stop looking into these first three games so much. A team with the skill level of the Pens will make the playoffs easily. Malikin is just on a cold streak and their coaching has been lousy. Both these issues will change soon, in one way or another.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I can see Bozak JVR and Kessel missing the playoffs but I can't see Crosby Malkin and Kessel missing the playoffs. I'm pissed we have to give back the freakin' 2nd we got for Winnik. Grrrr.

Sep 18, 2009
Best way to tank is to have a garbage goalie. You build your defense. You build the offense. You have a garbage goalie. You lose. Then one day you acquire a good goalie. Then you win

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Can we get a round of applause for Arizona please?

Marner's old buddy Domi happens to be helping the Leafs out :naughty:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Here were the teams on Kessel's NTC list: Boston, Chicago, LA, Minnesota, Montreal, NYR, Philly, and Pittsburgh (per Bobby Mac)

Basically, the reason for the lack or market was because there was no chance for a market in the first place. 6 of them are cap strapped playoff locks, Minnesota (pretty much as close to home as possible), and Boston (who he knows would never ever want him back, even with the Sweeney factor). Of all those teams, literally ONE had any interest. For those complaining about not letting a market form, you can't form a market when there is no market to form.

To make matters worse, Pittsburgh's two cap dumps, Scuderi AND Kunitz, both had NTC's of their own and did not have Toronto on their lists. So not only was there literally one trade partner, but they had no cap dumps we could take on because they refused to come here. So basically, the only option was to retain. In the end, Pittsburgh was holding a straight flush and we were holding a nine-high.

Basically, we had 2 options:

1. Trade Kessel to Pittsburgh and get ripped due to the perfect ****storm of circumstances
2. Keep Kessel

And keeping Kessel isn't making some small gamble like people think. Given his contract, keeping Kessel would've been more like playing Russian Roulette with an RPG. He's a great player, no doubt, but given Babcock's secure position... I can't think of a player he'd mesh with less than Kessel. We're talking getting benched regularly. The risk of his value plummeting was far greater than it increasing that much. And even then... yup, same NTC, same ****** circumstances. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses, bail out and fold than to risk a ****show and making a bad situation cataclysmically worse.

THAT BEING SAID... the fact that the lottery pick was protected... yeah, that's just unacceptable. You never know if injuries or underachieving strikes. Can't risk it going "meh, what are the odds".

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Pittsburgh will make the playoffs and everything will be okay. That team just has too much talent to suck for long. However, if they just scrape in and are first round food, all the better! A 15-20th pick to add to the cupboard would be amazing. There are lots of great young D-men who should be available in the mid-1st this year.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Pittsburgh will make the playoffs and everything will be okay. That team just has too much talent to suck for long. However, if they just scrape in and are first round food, all the better! A 15-20th pick to add to the cupboard would be amazing. There are lots of great young D-men who should be available in the mid-1st this year.

A 15-20 pick would be great. Pretty strong chance of that happening too imo.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
THAT BEING SAID... the fact that the lottery pick was protected... yeah, that's just unacceptable. You never know if injuries or underachieving strikes. Can't risk it going "meh, what are the odds".

I very much doubt the Leafs were "meh" about the pick being protected. Let's not forget that Pittsburgh has a say in the matter too. They aren't going to just say "meh, what are the odds" and hand over a pick that could be Matthews just because Shanahan wants it.

I don't really understand the idea that we got fleeced in the Kessel deal and he was really worth more than we got. If he was, another team would have stepped up, and not let him go to one of their competitors for a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad