Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Shameful thread. Cheering for losses 2 games into a season. :shakehead But to be fair we are pretty bad.

Obviously we all want what's best for the team. But it can be really stressful and demanding on your mindset when you continuously watch a team you want to succeed fail at such a prolific rate. This thread is a bit of a release valve to make sure we all don't go crazy.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This team is gonna be bad because the talent is just not there. I hope we stink up the joint, I hope they trade every player not named Reilly and gather as many picks and prospects as possible. Hopefully with any luck and lord knows the TML deserve some, we land Matthews. As i have said in prebious threads i would seriously contemplate offering Zonia Matthews if it meant we got Strome and their first rounder in 2016.

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
What we are cheering for is irrelevant. This became a tank season the moment they traded kessel for prospects. Any success they have will be a miracle.

I'm still hoping Reilly gardiner and kadri do well.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I have no faith of anything going right for us Leafs fans.

To think we had the best odds after the 3rd ball to get McDavid.

What is it with Toronto sports teams?
Seems the old saying "if not for bad luck we'd have no luck at all" sums up Toronto sports teams :cry::cry:

Please Steven, start the trend to come home and bring glory back to our Leafs.

In the meantime cheer for the Leafs but let's not be too upset with losses knowing we'll better our draft position.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
What are the chances the Leafs finish last in the standings but get bumped down to the #4 pick in the lottery?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This team is gonna be bad because the talent is just not there. I hope we stink up the joint, I hope they trade every player not named Reilly and gather as many picks and prospects as possible. Hopefully with any luck and lord knows the TML deserve some, we land Matthews. As i have said in prebious threads i would seriously contemplate offering Zonia Matthews if it meant we got Strome and their first rounder in 2016.

If you had Eichel would you trade that away for Strome and another top five prospect? Not bloody likely.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Having Rielly, Nylander and Marner in the system and adding one of Matthews, Chychrun, Puljujarvi, or Tkachuk to the mix is a good start. That's 4 good young players to start building the team around.

I don't even care for JvR, Kadri, Gardiner or any of our goalies any more but I'd hope at least 2 of these guys could distinguish themselves enough to warrant being kept around in the future.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I feel no shame in seeing the team lose, and not being bothered by it. This is ultimately the best chance we have to improve the organization in the long term. Short cuts didn't work before, so let's try this.

I'd like to see a consistent effort level, but with some of these guys I doubt that'll ever happen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If we get Matthews, one of Marner or Nylander becomes a winger.

....and this thread isnt too early. This team is built to lose.

Pains coming

Matthews/Marner
Nylander/Brown/Bracco etc.

Would be a solid forward core.
Then we just need to bolster the D with a high pick the following year and/or trading JVR to find that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I just want this veteran core to disappear. I don't care too much for the return. They cannot leave soon enough.

They are testing my patience quite a bit.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
isn't this what the rebuild...thread..is..for?

Think the only similarity between the two is that the idea is to build up prospects and the vision is focused for the long term. The main difference as I see it is rebuilding doesn't have to mean that the team tanks, they could do a slower rebuild as they place wherever in the standings. This thread on the other hand will be actively cheering for everything to go wrong and that they lose 82 games focusing on a quicker turn around with the higher ranked prospects hopefully carrying the team.

That's the way I see it anyways.

Mad Brills*

Even if they end up with pick 4, tkachuk or puljujarvi will be there.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Nice start for arizona :) we need more wins from them devils and carolina althought i don't worry to much about carolina they are a better team

Mad Brills*

Or Chychrun.

Tkachuk and Pulja are nice but Matthews/Chychrun check off a position of need. A position that's hard to acquire through other channels.

yeah, I get that. Tkachuk and puljarjvi are in the nylander/marner level of prospects, really ****ing great ones, but not the can't miss franchise players

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The more I watch Nylander, the more I think he can be a #1 Center at the NHL level. Marner will be better off as a winger who might be able to play C in an injury. We already have our #1C. It would be great to go Matthews/Nylander the way the Pens have their 1/2 punch, but we don't need it. If we grab a defenseman or non-center forward, or if we trade down from #1 OA, that can still be the right move.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
JVR - Nylander - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Kapanen

Rielly-Chychrun
Gardiner-Harrington
Dermott-Percy/Marincin

Think we're a Matthews or Chychrun away from having a legit core assuming our prospects pan out...

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
JVR - Nylander - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Kapanen

Rielly-Chychrun
Gardiner-Harrington
Dermott-Percy/Marincin

Think we're a Matthews or Chychrun away from having a legit core assuming our prospects pan out...

No we're not!

Nylander and Marner are likely going to be good to very good NHL players, that's true.
Rielly is going to be a very good NHL offensive defenseman, that's true.

The rest of the guys you've listed fall anywhere between the good NHL player and borderline NHL player.

However, name me the very good defensive defenseman.
Name me the very good goaltender.

Who are likely going to be our elite or star players? Marner? Nylander? Our draft pick this year?

This league is, as Jeff O'neill has said many times, a star-driven league. You win because you have stars and you don't win if you don't. We don't, and quite possibly won't have a star from anyone in our organization currently.

The most likely candidate to be a star player in this organization is back playing in the OHL (which is likely a very good thing seeing as the only other option would be to have him stuck with this collection of losers).

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Adding Logan Brown and JC next year will help us speed up that process. But,yeah, we need Stammy to elevate us and a solid keeper, Bibeau?

We're gonna be bad for the next 2 to 3 years... deal with it? 2018 is our calling card. We'll be stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad