Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Edmonton is a good example of how high picks arent everything. Obviously I'm very excited about what Rielly, Nylander, Marner, etc can become, but those guys alone can't carry a franchise. I'm almost more intrigued by what we can get out of guys like Brown, Loov, Bracco, Dermott, Timashov, Bibeau, etc.

Look around the league, look at the playoff teams and recent SC champions. We need to find our own Subban, Weber, Keith, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Benn, Lundqvist, Stepan, Bergeron, Tyler Johnson, Giordano, Gaudreau, etc. A legitimate core player from outside the 1st. Not just an NHL piece like Gunnarsson or Kulemin, we need to find some legitimate talent.

Hopefully due to a sheer increase in volume of picks, by us regularly selling players instead of regularly trading away picks, and also improved scouting/development, can pay off at some point in this regard.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Edmonton is a good example of how high picks arent everything. Obviously I'm very excited about what Rielly, Nylander, Marner, etc can become, but those guys alone can't carry a franchise. I'm almost more intrigued by what we can get out of guys like Brown, Loov, Bracco, Dermott, Timashov, Bibeau, etc.

Look around the league, look at the playoff teams and recent SC champions. We need to find our own Subban, Weber, Keith, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Benn, Lundqvist, Stepan, Bergeron, Tyler Johnson, Giordano, Gaudreau, etc. A legitimate core player from outside the 1st. Not just an NHL piece like Gunnarsson or Kulemin, we need to find some legitimate talent.

Hopefully due to a sheer increase in volume of picks, by us regularly selling players instead of regularly trading away picks, and also improved scouting/development, can pay off at some point in this regard.

I would say we need to draft a bit more for size, speed and tenacity coming up ... just so we can have a good mix. We can't put out a Marner, Nylander, Brown line ... we need a Matthews or Chycrun or Tkachuck.

Hopefully a top 2 pick this year ... but man Edmonton, Buffalo, NJ, Carolina ... can I buy you a win?

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto

I know it's still way too early to determine, but I feel like our last 2 drafts have been amazing in terms of later picks. So many intriguing prospects in guys like Valiev, Engvall, Dermott, Bracco, Timashov, Korostelev, etc. I feel like we have some home runs in the making. Connor Brown we'll be seeing next year :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would say we need to draft a bit more for size, speed and tenacity coming up ... just so we can have a good mix. We can't put out a Marner, Nylander, Brown line ... we need a Matthews or Chycrun or Tkachuck.

Hopefully a top 2 pick this year ... but man Edmonton, Buffalo, NJ, Carolina ... can I buy you a win?

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov isn't overly large as an example.

But if you wanted to go back to last years final in the top 6 of each team, Chicago and Tampa Bay, only 2 forwards were 6'2 (Toews and Killorn), everyone else was shorter.

I like size, but it has to be functional size.

Tkachuk as of right now is only 6'1 which is pretty average (only 1 inch taller then Connor Brown) - but as he is a young kid, I imagine he could grow an inch or so for sure.

I would love to add a L.Brown or a Matthews though to our roster for sure, it is always good to have a nice mix.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
JESSE PULJUJÄRVI is 6'3. Outside of Matthews and Chychrun, he's likely my favourite.

Brown, Nylander, Jones, Tkachuk, and Laine are all great though

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

I know it's still way too early to determine, but I feel like our last 2 drafts have been amazing in terms of later picks. So many intriguing prospects in guys like Valiev, Engvall, Dermott, Bracco, Timashov, Korostelev, etc. I feel like we have some home runs in the making. Connor Brown we'll be seeing next year :)

Yes, its still too early, that part is important. But, like 416 said, having more picks does increase our odds.

I think we are enthused if not jubilant because finally after decades were are not trading away our picks/prospects for aging vets.

But, its going to take awhile longer to see if we have above-average, average or below-average results. There's too much self-promotion, bad advertising and hollow promises in general and in hockey for me to move out of the "seeing is believing" camp.

Swayze*

Yes, its still too early, that part is important. But, like 416 said, having more picks does increase our odds.

I think we are enthused if not jubilant because finally after decades were are not trading away our picks/prospects for aging vets.

But, its going to take awhile longer to see if we have above-average, average or below-average results. There's too much self-promotion, bad advertising and hollow promises in general and in hockey for me to move out of the "seeing is believing" camp.

yup

we'll have busts and prospects who don't perform as advertised, we already do!

What we need are some guys to come out of nowhere and be stars, like a Subban or Datsyuk.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
yup

we'll have busts and prospects who don't perform as advertised, we already do!

What we need are some guys to come out of nowhere and be stars, like a Subban or Datsyuk.

Ya we need years of solid drafting and F/A signings. When did the Rangers tank last?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ya we need years of solid drafting and F/A signings. When did the Rangers tank last?

They've been able to find really good talent without having to tank. Sort of like St-Louis, Detroit and Anaheim.

Being able to get a #1 defender for the worst contract of the league at the time is pretty lucky though. They've been able to do great trades to stay afloat as well finding good talent for expendable pieces.

When you can also have such a consistent and top end goaltender in your crease that can play ~70 games a year, it helps a lot as well.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
That also means Edmonton has a chance to win it again...Imagine how ticked off the hockey world will be if they get the first pick AGAIN!

Don't worry, lightning never strikes 2, 3, 4 times. It's going to happen again isn't it?

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That also means Edmonton has a chance to win it again...Imagine how ticked off the hockey world will be if they get the first pick AGAIN!

Edmonton is such a joke. I know what they say about glass houses, but Goddamn are they on another level of futility. For all their first overalls, it's an absolute travesty that that team is still as bad as it is.

mikebel111*

The rebuild is going well.
Got some good picks and no mistakes.
Picking Nylander over Ritchie is probably best decision ever
Getting another good forward in Marner is also good

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Edmonton is such a joke. I know what they say about glass houses, but Goddamn are they on another level of futility. For all their first overalls, it's an absolute travesty that that team is still as bad as it is.

They need to decide who are the star forwards and who is getting moved out for d and goalie help either now or top level d and goalie prospects. That team is so forward heavy in talent it's unbelievable. I'd try and pry Provorov away from Philly. Maybe offer RNH for him.

CalgaryLeaf*

But we all know that this won't last forever...All they need is a goalie to go along with another blue chipper in this years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad