Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Really hoping that the Michkov effect sees us dipping more into Russia, especially the later rounds. Now is the time to find gems when teams aren't able to scout as closely.

Andrei Krutov, Ilya Pautov, and Timur Kol all stick out when looking at DY numbers.

Reactions: BernieParent

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Alright I partially said this in the rumor thread, but I am going to say it fully here.

If the flyers are targeting Catton for the 12th pick, as many here seem to want, I think they would be better served trading the 12th pick to Anaheim as part of a package for Zegras. Zegras and Catton are very similar players. The difference is one is proven in the NHL with multiple 60+ point seasons, while the other likely has the same time horizion of most draft picks in regards to time to legit NHL impact which is 2+ years. The biggest thing is though Zegras is exactly what you could hope Catton will be, so taking the proven model that can make an impact immediately just makes so much more sense.

I will specify that this is only really makes sense if the Flyers are indeed targeting Catton. Helenius and Iginla have 2 way games and grit that make them potentially valuable in a way that Zegras is not, so if the Flyers front office values those traits higher in their roster construction I can understand why they would not make that trade. If they are actually leaning towards Catton though, they might as well get the version that impacts the team immediately.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
If the flyers are targeting Catton for the 12th pick, as many here seem to want, I think they would be better served trading the 12th pick to Anaheim as part of a package for Zegras. Zegras and Catton are very similar players. The difference is one is proven in the NHL with multiple 60+ point seasons, while the other likely has the same time horizion of most draft picks in regards to time to legit NHL impact which is 2+ years. The biggest thing is though Zegras is exactly what you could hope Catton will be, so taking the proven model that can make an impact immediately just makes so much more sense.

I am almost always the one talking about how individual prospects in general are overrated, but to me this is exactly what you can’t do if you want to be successful long term in a hard cap league. You don’t make A/B choices like this in a vacuum. One of those players is heading into his D+6.

In the broad spectrum of outcomes, you get a better career from Zegras the majority of the time. But not all of that minority is particularly close. Making the Catton pick is an attempt to buy that specific star equity. And it’s not just Catton outcomes that you’re getting. You’re buying 3 years of an ELC, then some RFA control, and the players/assets the differences in cap hit buys you in the next X years.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I am almost always the one talking about how individual prospects in general are overrated, but to me this is exactly what you can’t do if you want to be successful long term in a hard cap league. You don’t make A/B choices like this in a vacuum. One of those players is heading into his D+6.

In the broad spectrum of outcomes, you get a better career from Zegras the majority of the time. But not all of that minority is particularly close. Making the Catton pick is an attempt to buy that specific star equity. And it’s not just Catton outcomes that you’re getting. You’re buying 3 years of an ELC, then some RFA control, and the players/assets the differences in cap hit buys you in the next X years.
Catton…Zegras for Florida pick and Farabee would be a good days work. If possible.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I have a spreadsheet with the average rankings from 12 "Experts." They are:
SmahtMcKeensTHNEPFerrariTHW BarrachinniHornPronmanWheelerButtonMcKenziePeters

Here are the top 97:
RankFirstLastPosTeamLeagueHtWt
1MacklinCelebriniCBoston UHeast6185
2IvanDemidovRWSKA St PeteMHL5'11158
3ArtyomLevshunovRHDMichigan StateB1G6'2198
4CaydenLindstromCMedicine HatWHL6'5190
5ZeevBuiumLHDUSNDTPUSHL6183
6SamDickensonLHDLondonOHL6'3194
7BerklyCattonCSpokaneWHL5'11163
8ZayneParekhRHDSaginawOHL6183
9TijIginliaCKelownaWHL6186
10AntonSilayevLHDTorpedo NovogrodKHL6'7200
11ColeEisermanLWUSNDTPUSHL6194
12KonstaHeleniusCJukiritFin Jr5'11168
13BeckettSenneckeRWOshawaOHL6'1187
14CarterYakemchuckRHDCalgaryWHL6'2183
15MichaelBrandseeg-NygardRWMoraSEL6'1194
16LiamGreentreeRWWindsorOHL6'2188
17AdamJiricekRHDPleznChech Jr6'2168
18MichaelHageCChicagoUSHL6161
19TrevorConnellyC/LWTri CityUSHL6'1185
20IgorChernyshovLWDynamo MoskowMHL6'2192
21SachaBoisvertCMuskeganUSHL6'2170
22JettLuchankoCGuelphOHL5'11185
23StianSolbergLHDValerangaNorway6'2196
24EmilHemmingRWTPSFin Jr6'2196
25RyderRitchieRWPrince AlbertWHL6173
26Eric JEmeryRHDUSNDTPUSHL6'3181
27NikitaArtamonovLW/RWTorpedo NovogrodKHL5'11180
28ColeBeaudoinCBarrieOHL6'2201
29AndrewBashaLWMedicine HatWHL5'11185
30TerikParascakRWPrince GeorgeWHL5'11174
31AlfonsFreijLHDVaxjoJ206'1192
32TeddyStigaLWUSNDTPUSHL5'9155
33MarekVanackerLWBrantfordOHL6'1185
34LucasPetterssonCModoJ205'11170
35LeoSahlin WalleniusLDVjaxoSwed jr5'11.5176
36DominikBadinkaRHDMalmoSwed Jr6'3183
37CharlieElickRHDBrandonWHL6'3191
38DeanLetourneauCSt AndrewsCHS6'6210
39LinusErikssonCDjurgardensSEL6170
40YegorSurinCYaraslovalMHL6'1174
41ColeHutsonLHDUSNDTPUSHL5'10157
42HenryMewsRHDOttawaOHL6183
43MaximMasseRWChicoutimiQMJHL6'1180
44JuliusMiettinenC/WEverettWHL6'3209
45AronKiviharjuLHDTPSFin Jr5'10157
46SamO'ReillyRWLondonOHL6'1186
47MatveiGridinRWMuskegonUSHL6'1185
49JohnMustardFWDWaterlooUSHL6180
50LukeMisaCMississaugaOHL5'10165
51AdamKleberDLincolnUSHL6'5201
52AdamJechoRWTaaparaFin Jr6'5200
53TannerHoweC/LWReginaWHL5'10178
54MatveiShuravinLDCSKARus Jr6'3195
55HarrisonBrunickeRHDKamloopsWHL6'2184
56BenDanfordRHDOshawaOHL6'1194
58JessePulkkinenLHDJYPFin Jr6'6203
59MarcusGildofGLeksandSEL6'6212
60JustinPoirierRWBaie-ComeauQMJHL5'7185
61TomasGalvasLHDLibercCzech5'11148
62AnthonyCristoforoRHDWindsorOHL5'11180
63LeonMuggliDZugSui NL6165
65WillSkahanLHDUSNDTPUSHL6'4205
65TopiasHynninenRWJukiritLiiga5'10164
66MiguelMarquesRWLethbridgeWHL5'10.5173
67CarterGeorgeGOwen SoundOHL6'1190
68KamilBednarikCUSNDTPUSHL6186
69MikhailYegorovGOmahaUSHL6'4.5179
70SpencerGillDRimouskiQMJHL6'4185
71LucaMarrelliDOshawaOHL6'1185
72NoelFransenFarjestadsFarjestadsSwed J206180
73AJSpellacyCWindsorOHL6'3190
74RyersonLeendersGMississaugaOHL6'1185
75BrodieZiemerRWUSNDTPUSHL5'11190
76DaniilUstinkovLHDZSCSwiss Jr6198
77OwenAllardCSSMWHL6'1.75199
78TarinSmithDEverettWHL6'1175
79LukasFischerLHDSarniaOHL6'2180
80JacobBattagliaLWKingstonOHL6'1196
81MatveiKorotkyCSKA St PeteVHL6'1198
82IlyaNabokovGMagnitogorskMHL6179
83CarsonWetschR FwdCalgaryWHL6'2185
84VeetiVaisanenLHDKookooFin Jr6174
85SimonZetherCRogleSEL6'2185
86RaulBoilardCBaie-ComeauQMJHL6'1185
87JakubFibigrDMississaugaOHL6170
88EriksMatiekoLWSt JohnQMJHL6'4201
89TimurKolLHDOmsk JrVHL6'3198
90HeikkiRouhonenCKieko EspooU20Elite6'1205
91MelvinFernstromRWOrebroSHL6'1185
92HermanTraffRWHV71J206'3200
94JackBerglundLWFarjestadsSHL6'3209
95ClarkeCaswellLWSwift CurrentWHL5'11176
96FyodorAvramovLWStupinoVHL6'3190
97ColinRalphDShattuckUSHS6'4227

I saw a report awhile ago that said he was high on Montreal's list and they were contemplating taking him at 5.
Thank you for your effort. This is great. I might prefer Sennecke to Helenius at this point. Flyers like risers and the kid can fly. We'll see on Friday!

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020

Well, I am going to disagree. The panthers and golden Knights likeky do too. The Panthers only drafted like 5 of the guys on their roster that has been to back-2-back cup finals, got a cup win in the most recent of the 2, and they almost definitely run it back for 3rd attempt next season. That doesn't quantify as success? The Knights best players were all aquired in trades or Free Agency. Mark Stone, Eichel, Pietrangelo, and now Hertl.

It doesn't matter how well you scout, there is an element of luck and guess work to drafting and development. You can never assume a pick will reach there ceiling. Does every Concensus talent become star? No. They flop all the time. Can I assume a guy who has scored 60+ multiple times in the NHL under the age of 25 is capable of doing it again? Yes. He has proven he can. Can I assume a kid who has never played an NHL game will be just as good? No. I can hope he might.

ELCs are cool, the salary cap is important to monitor, but adding a good young proven player to your core is cooler. A question mark vs a proven valuable asset. I can taken the proven valuable asset to the bank, but I will really value the ELC more if it turns out the answer to the question mark is not as good as the answer I wanted

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Well, I am going to disagree. The panthers and golden Knights likeky do too. The Panthers only drafted like 5 of the guys on their roster that has been to back-2-back cup finals, got a cup win in the most recent of the 2, and they almost definitely run it back for 3rd attempt next season. That doesn't quantify as success? The Knights best players were all aquired in trades or Free Agency. Mark Stone, Eichel, Pietrangelo, and now Hertl.

It doesn't matter how well you scout, there is an element of luck and guess work to drafting and development. You can never assume a pick will reach there ceiling. Does every Concensus talent become star? No. They flop all the time. Can I assume a guy who has scored 60+ multiple times in the NHL under the age of 25 is capable of doing it again? Yes. He has proven he can. Can I assume a kid who has never played an NHL game will be just as good? No. I can hope he might.

ELCs are cool, the salary cap is important to monitor, but adding good young proven players to your core cooler.

The Golden Knights were launched into the Finals and trying to contend immediately from that day forward. The Panthers traded what they thought were late 1sts when they were ready to contend and had the core already in place and in NHL prime age. How is either of those situations comparable to the June ‘24 Flyers trading away a known 12OA? How is Zegras remotely comparable to Mark Stone or Jack Eichel? If you’re trading for a Pettersson who hit RFA, of course you move 12.

Again, what I’m trying to tell you is that I am one of the last people you have to sell on the risk of prospects. Go look at any thread about prospects and you’re more likely than not to find me saying people are getting carried away. I’m unwilling to call anyone short of a Michkov level overwhelmingly likely to be an average NHL player on draft day. If I’m telling you I think you’re taking it too far, you’re not in left field. You’re outside of the stadium having a nice coffee.

And while we’re at it, no you cannot assume a 60 Point player can do it again. It’s much, much more likely. Very different thing.

Last edited:

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
The Golden Knights were launched into the Finals and trying to contend immediately from that day forward. The Panthers traded what they thought were late 1sts when they were ready to contend and had the core already in place and in NHL prime age. How is either of those situations comparable to the June ‘24 Flyers trading away a known 12OA?

Again, what I’m trying to tell you is that I am one of the last people you have to sell on the risk of prospects. Go look at any thread about prospects and you’re more likely than not to find me saying people are getting carried away. I’m unwilling to call anyone short of a Michkov level overwhelmingly likely to be an average NHL player on draft day. If I’m telling you I think you’re taking it too far, you’re not in left field. You’re outside of the stadium having a nice coffee.

And while we’re at it, no you cannot assume a 60 Point player can do it again. It’s much, much more likely. Very different thing.
It's the same argument people make about teams like the Lightening. They say guys like Sergachev were acquired via trade. Sure, but they traded a former top pick of their to get him. How did the Panthers get Tkachuk? By trading former #3 overall Huberdeau. Even if you want the Flyers to trade their way into contention, you still need a base of assets that we don't have to do that.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

ELCs are cool, the salary cap is important to monitor, but adding a good young proven player to your core is cooler. A question mark vs a proven valuable asset. I can taken the proven valuable asset to the bank, but I will really value the ELC more if it turns out the answer to the question mark is not as good as the answer I wanted
However, when you do look at the Panthers... their success was in fact built around picking very, very highly in the draft repeatedly over a short window... like virtually every cup-winner in the last ~17 years has done sans Vegas.

2011 3rd overall: Huberdeau - moved in package for Tkachuk
2013 2nd overall: Barkov
2014 1st overall: Ekblad

Without picking so highly in a short time period? They never win.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
That NRD guy on Twitter thinks the Sharks jumped us to get Eiserman. I would've been fine with Eiserman but frankly a winger would need to be far and away the best player left at our spot for me to take him.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Say what you will about Charlie O, but I think he's probably not wrong to suggest SJ is more likely in the market for defense here, since they got Smith last year and Celebrini on the way, and their blue line is only that color due to the 2000 Flushes they have working overtime.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad