Off-season roster thread #3 -- Post-draft and upcoming Free Agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Might be why guys like Robertson are really pushing for bridge deals. Man I'd love to lock up Dahlin next summer. That Tage deal is looking better and better.
Robertson/Brisson are pushing for a long term deal, Nill/the club wants a bridge per Dregs.

5 pieces?! Lmfao. Good luck hauling all that back. Even with a 'softer' type deal. I personally don't think he's worth all of what's mentioned
There was a time when the Sabres were pushing for that type of deal for Eichel, so it's likely to be less.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I don't think Dallas trades Robertson. I do think they move salary to make room for him, but who is taking Khudobin right now? Maybe they move Gurianov? I can't see them moving Hintz, and probably not Faksa (5 team NTC). Suter has a NMC.

I mean, there might be an opportunity to pry Hintz out of there...which would be an absolute coup.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think Dallas trades Robertson. I do think they move salary to make room for him, but who is taking Khudobin right now? Maybe they move Gurianov? I can't see them moving Hintz, and probably not Faksa (5 team NTC). Suter has a NMC.

I mean, there might be an opportunity to pry Hintz out of there...which would be an absolute coup.
Someone will trade Khudobin, he does not have such a huge contract and there is only one year. I don't see Dallas trading Robertson or Hintz, it doesn't make sense.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
In that case Nill is nuts. Unless they don't think Robertson has proven himself enough. I guess it depends on the ask per year.
Agreed.

Turned 23 in July. Already a PPG player. What would Nill think is left to prove? This is the type of player you lock up long-term. If that creates a cap problem, then fix that instead of alienating the best forward on the roster.

1664580317862.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They should look to build around both Hintz and Robertson. They're daft if they deal either - or over an ownership payroll barrel.

Someone will trade Khudobin, he does not have such a huge contract and there is only one year. I don't see Dallas trading Robertson or Hintz, it doesn't make sense.

Hell, it could be Buffalo if they want a bit more of a cap buffer. :biglaugh: Seriously though, while Arizona exists, there will always be somewhere to park dead cap in the league.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Agreed.

Turned 23 in July. Already a PPG player. What would Nill think is left to prove? This is the type of player you lock up long-term. If that creates a cap problem, then fix that instead of alienating the best forward on the roster.

View attachment 589912
The other interesting thing about Robertson are Pavelski and Hintz's production since Robertson joined the team and has been playing on a line with those 2. Both of them started producing significantly more with him on their line the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: elchud

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
We have Mule

Then you’re going to be very happy once you get to the second half of last season

Well, a partner he works well with is one thing, and it’s promising. But what I’m getting at is 4 years ago the Sabres throwing an 18 year old 1st overall pick to the wolves without a quality veteran to show him the ropes.

Just my opinion but I think on-ice mentorship isn’t appreciated as much as it should be. Not saying it’s a necessity, but I think it goes a long way. Furthermore, a cap floor basement team as the Sabres have been for awhile is in a good position to overpay a vet or take on salary in a trade to get a guy with something in the tank.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well, a partner he works well with is one thing, and it’s promising. But what I’m getting at is 4 years ago the Sabres throwing an 18 year old 1st overall pick to the wolves without a quality veteran to show him the ropes.

Just my opinion but I think on-ice mentorship isn’t appreciated as much as it should be. Not saying it’s a necessity, but I think it goes a long way. Furthermore, a cap floor basement team as the Sabres have been for awhile is in a good position to overpay a vet or take on salary in a trade to get a guy with something in the tank.
Yes, it was disgusting that they couldn't find him a proper partner for 3-4 seasons, and also locked him up with the idiot Krueger for two years. But now everything seems to be in order. Samuelsson seems like the perfect type of player to play alongside Rasmus. And I agree that for Power it is necessary to find such a partner, the sooner the better. Let's see how they will play with Joki, but I'm not sure about the success of this pair.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Concerning Dahlin's development ...

Agree that the lack of a veteran mentor, and being hampered by the likes of Housley and Kruger, were not beneficial, but wonder if his development would have been accelerated by another year in the SEL.

I think many of these 1OA players get penalized by the unwritten rule that they *must* play their D+1 season in the NHL. Hughes is another example that springs to mind.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
The other interesting thing about Robertson are Pavelski and Hintz's production since Robertson joined the team and has been playing on a line with those 2. Both of them started producing significantly more with him on their line the past 2 seasons.
That line is loaded with synergy. I'm a huge fan of Pavs. The guy epitomizes what it means to be a true pro in this league. If he was a better skater, we'd be talking about him as a 1st ballot HoF lock.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Agree that the lack of a veteran mentor, and being hampered by the likes of Housley and Kruger, were not beneficial, but wonder if his development would have been accelerated by another year in the SEL.

I think many of these 1OA players get penalized by the unwritten rule that they *must* play their D+1 season in the NHL. Hughes is another example that springs to mind.

Best season by an 18yo defenseman since Bobby Orr. Dahlin obviously belonged in the NHL then. Krueger knocking Dahlin not just sideways, but straight backward, after that is (I think) unfairly coloring your memory of his rookie season.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I think Dahlin had a decent first season. Now this is a completely different player, more experienced, with leadership qualities, stronger physically and playing with grit. Krueger was a nightmare for Dahlin and other young players.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'm not saying Dahlin had a *bad* rookie season. Just suggesting that his long-term development *might* have benefited from an extra season in the SEL or AHL. It's a hypothetical, so we'll never know.

Maybe there are better 1OA examples. Certainly Hughes, maybe Lafreniere (although he had zero to prove in the Q, and the NHL was the only alternative). Slafovsky might see time in Laval. I'm happy that Power went back to Michigan.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Targets now, at TDL or summer:

Mackenzie Weegar
Matt Roy
Damon Severson

i thought Weager was getting an extrnsion…

Why are they the targets?

I'm not saying Dahlin had a *bad* rookie season. Just suggesting that his long-term development *might* have benefited from an extra season in the SEL or AHL. It's a hypothetical, so we'll never know.

Maybe there are better 1OA examples. Certainly Hughes, maybe Lafreniere (although he had zero to prove in the Q, and the NHL was the only alternative). Slafovsky might see time in Laval. I'm happy that Power went back to Michigan.

his first year says otherwise on him somehow not being ready.

the bigger concern on him was adjusting to NA hockey.

it was possible he coukd spend some time in the AHL that season.

Krueger did a Freddie on him For sure.

Hughes like Power did NCAA after being drafted then turned pro and played a few games.

generally it’s easier for forwards to jump to the nhl than D.

Risto spent half the year in the A
Seider spend a full year in the A
IIRC Makar played college then turned pro

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
If not getting.

Because it's the top 4 RDs that have a contract ending in the summer, except for Roy, who can fit Buffalo.
I think KA was probably in on Weeger at some point, maybe they did not want to spend on an extension in the end or Zito just like the Calgary deal more, who knows. Then they turned to other RD targets, ie Lyubushkin.

Reactions: Fjordy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad