Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
About to sign travis shaw too. Brewers like the jays castoffs. Sogard,smoak,mckinney,fisher and now a reunion with shaw

Strange they sign him a year after letting him walk.

Dont forget Maile, Phelps, and Vogelbach. Gord Ash too. Colabello, Lind and Axford from back in the day.

Jays love their former Brewers too; Shaw, Sogard, Estrada, Phelps, Anderson etc.

Reactions: habamillions

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The only worry is if the ceiling is the ceiling going forward or only for this year.

the management team could have an internal cap as they wat to allocate something more towards next years crop of free agents instead.

Given past payroll trends, I doubt we need to be too worried. Last time they spent big after a few cheap "rebuild" years, it was a big initial jump and then payroll gradually increased over the course of 3-4 years. This seems to be a trend with Rogers.

But then we also had "You know it's going up" and passing the hat for Ervin Santana mixed in there, so who knows?

They really should just spend like the huge-market owners they are.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Given past payroll trends, I doubt we need to be too worried. Last time they spent big after a few cheap "rebuild" years, it was a big initial jump and then payroll gradually increased over the course of 3-4 years. This seems to be a trend with Rogers.

But then we also had "You know it's going up" and passing the hat for Ervin Santana mixed in there, so who knows?

They really should just spend like the huge-market owners they are.

Plus can we really expect a full payroll when this will be the second year with essentially no fans.

Reactions: Discoverer

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
This somewhat surprises me because they are around 130 million and I think during their peak a few years ago it got as high as 160. Not to mention they probably saved quite a bit last year and the year before when they had a small budget.

If the salary is close to the budget, that's why I hate the Roark signing and I said I didn't like it at the time. Getting rid of him would save 12 million.
We havent even accounted for inflation and the fact that because of how rapidly team values raise over time, you could run a deficit every year and still have a profitable business.

Them getting to 130 mil and just stopping for no good reason is extremely frustrating.

Reactions: Discoverer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
None of the pitching out there moves the needle enough to be upset about not spending on. If they are at the internal number they don't want to go over for this off season then I really don't care. This team is literally just coming out of a rebuild just take a breath if the team is competing like they should then add in season and still set up to add again next off season. Just odd to me that this organization is set up long term the best I can ever remember in my lifetime went out signed the best free agent on the market...and the complaining stopped for like 2 weeks lol

Last edited:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The only worry is if the ceiling is the ceiling going forward or only for this year.

the management team could have an internal cap as they wat to allocate something more towards next years crop of free agents instead.

I think there are two logical reasons to mention they are close to the budget. First, it could be a leak to get players to sign and make up their minds.

Second, they are close to an internal budget but that will go up next year. I am quite sure I recall reading that each year the Jays budget will get higher as the team gets better.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think there are two logical reasons to mention they are close to the budget. First, it could be a leak to get players to sign and make up their minds.

Second, they are close to an internal budget but that will go up next year. I am quite sure I recall reading that each year the Jays budget will get higher as the team gets better.

It's also possible that reporters (Mitchell and now Nicholson-Smith) are making assumptions about payroll limits.

Reactions: canucksfan

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Just odd to me that this organization is set up long term the best I can ever remember in my lifetime went out signed the best free agent on the market...and the complaining stopped for like 2 weeks lol
They ran a disgustingly low payroll for 3 seasons, signed the biggest free agent, and still aren't close to the payroll they had 6 years ago.

Fans have every right to want another big fish after getting Springer because they sure as shit have been saving up for it. I get not wanting to give Bauer 40 million, all we're asking for is to call Cincinnati or Chicago and up your bid for one of their pitchers.

We're a big market fanbase way under our spending power with a truckload of infield prospects, there's just zero excuse to go into a contending season with a rotation of this quality.

EDIT: We all know the old saying "You can't make the playoffs in April but you can miss them." I dont think it's smart to wait and go into the season with these question marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I just dont get how the Yankees are that far ahead of the Jays when they have done absolutely nothing to improve their team!

I dont see any of their acquisitions making them any better then last season. They are banking on the health of their team returning to what it should be to be able to compete. If players like Stanton, Judge and Severino remain to play only half a season because they are often injured. How do they compete?

I really believe the Jays and Rays will be above the Yankees when all is said and done. I dont believe in their rotation as its Cole and bust. And they have too many fragile players to succeed for entire season.
They have pitching and hitting and can catch it a little. Jays have weak infield and 1 starting pitcher.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Weak infield? Semien, Bo, Vlad and Biggio is one of the best infields in the league.

Jays biggest weakness is the rotation.
We know Bo, Vlad and Biggio are not great fielders and we will have to wait and see what Semien can do.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
We know Bo, Vlad and Biggio are not great fielders and we will have to wait and see what Semien can do.

Okay, so you mean defensively. Bo has been above average at SS. Biggio has been above average at second and Semien is a great defender no matter where he plays.

The two question marks is Vlad at first. He won’t be as bad as he was last year. Also if Biggio plays third how does he handle it.

Lastyl, Semien can slide in and play great d at SS something they didn’t have last year. I would say around average defense from the infield this year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think you need to wait and see with Semien; He's one of the best infielders in baseball defensively.

Bo is good at shortstop too.
I don’t listen to the media. I’ll wait until I see him play before I judge him.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Okay, so you mean defensively. Bo has been above average at SS. Biggio has been above average at second and Semien is a great defender no matter where he plays.

The two question marks is Vlad at first. He won’t be as bad as he was last year. Also if Biggio plays third how does he handle it.

Lastyl, Semien can slide in and play great d at SS something they didn’t have last year. I would say around average defense from the infield this year.

The post I responded to was asking why the Yankees have a greater chance at making the playoffs and I think it boils down to their ability to hit catch and pitch is better than Toronto and they’ll likely win the division.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The post I responded to was asking why the Yankees have a greater chance at making the playoffs and I think it boils down to their ability to hit catch and pitch is better than Toronto and they’ll likely win the division.

Yes, but you said the Jays have a weak infield which they don't. Offensively they are one of the best in the league and defensively they would be average.

If we compare the Jays infield to the Yanks defensively it would be about even. Bo is better than Torres, Biggio is about the same as DJ, Yanks have the advantage at first and third. My main concern is Biggio playing at third. Jays also have Semien. If he plays second Jays have the edge there. If he plays third he would put up similar numbers to Gio.

The infield is not a concern it is the rotation.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes, but you said the Jays have a weak infield which they don't. Offensively they are one of the best in the league and defensively they would be average.

If we compare the Jays infield to the Yanks defensively it would be about even. Bo is better than Torres, Biggio is about the same as DJ, Yanks have the advantage at first and third. My main concern is Biggio playing at third. Jays also have Semien. If he plays second Jays have the edge there. If he plays third he would put up similar numbers to Gio.

The infield is not a concern it is the rotation.
Offensively Bo is really good and Biggio and Vlad have lots of opportunities to improve.
Defensively they all have room to improve

Yes, the starting pitching they have today makes you wonder why bothered overpaying for an outfielder. I assume the plan is to try and take a run next year when they’re back in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad