Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I just dont get how the Yankees are that far ahead of the Jays when they have done absolutely nothing to improve their team!

I dont see any of their acquisitions making them any better then last season. They are banking on the health of their team returning to what it should be to be able to compete. If players like Stanton, Judge and Severino remain to play only half a season because they are often injured. How do they compete?

I really believe the Jays and Rays will be above the Yankees when all is said and done. I dont believe in their rotation as its Cole and bust. And they have too many fragile players to succeed for entire season.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Love SHOE but that ship has sailed. I think Walker is an adequate number 3 starter for us, especially with piggybacking.

I think with the shortened season last year and shortened spring training this year the 6th and 7th SP acting as long men in your bullpen become very important. I think this is where pitchers like Stripling and Chatwood will excel for the Jays.

Have pitchers like Pearson or Matz or Walker (if signed) or Ray, go 4-5 innings and supplement their starts with pitchers like Stripling and Chatwood out of the bullpen. Obviously if the starters can go more and are having a great game you let them pitch. But 3rd time through order is where we have seen pitchers like Ray and Walker struggle in the past.

Bullpen will be a very important piece to every MLB team this season. The acquisitions of Yates, Phelps, Chatwood to go along with Borucki, Dolis, Romano, Cole, Liriano, Stripling etc will be a big part of our success this year. I really like what this front office has built. A lot of versatility in that pen that will definitely help the short comings of the rotation.

Reactions: ktownhockey

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Yeah as soon as they pulled Shoe way too early from that gem he was throwing against Tampa in the playoffs, that bridge was burned and burned fast

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB Power Rankings: All Eyes Are on the Padres

10. Toronto Blue Jays (Last Rank: 15)

Notable acquisitions: OF George Springer, INF Marcus Semien, RP Kirby Yates
The nomadic Blue Jays returned to the playoffs in 2020 and have the look of a contender after offseason signing George Springer and Marcus Semien. Toronto should have one of the league’s best offenses, though the pitching staff leaves a bit to be desired beyond Hyun-Jin Ryu. A return to form from Kirby Yates would be critical in stabilizing the back end of the bullpen.

Strange to see the Nats, Astros, and Twins ahead of us but so be it. Could argue the White Sox too but i like the their team from top to bottom. We have a comparable pen and slightly better lineup but the Sox rotation is much better.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
You can’t honestly think that,do you?:huh:
What are you even talking about? You haven’t made a point other than hating on Walker. The stat comparisons between both as blue jays is almost identical and Shoemaker was a band aid on his two years here. I am here trying to give a possible solution, you give nothing but arguing for no reason.
If you think a rotation of Ryu, Pearson (Innings restriction), Ray, Matz, Stripling/Roark is better then a rotation with Walker then you are delusional. Next time provide some facts!

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
What are you even talking about? You haven’t made a point other than hating on Walker. The stat comparisons between both as blue jays is almost identical and Shoemaker was a band aid on his two years here. I am here trying to give a possible solution, you give nothing but arguing for no reason.
If you think a rotation of Ryu, Pearson (Innings restriction), Ray, Matz, Stripling/Roark is better then a rotation with Walker then you are delusional. Next time provide some facts!

Walker projects as our 6th best starter by Depth Charts (ahead of Roark, but behind Stripling and Matz)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Walker projects as our 6th best starter by Depth Charts (ahead of Roark, but behind Stripling and Matz)

It's fine to not like Walker. There are plenty of reasons. But thinking he's garbage while Matt Shoemaker is the guy who should be slotting into the middle of the rotation is... well, that sure is a special opinion.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It's fine to not like Walker. There are plenty of reasons. But thinking he's garbage while Matt Shoemaker is the guy who should be slotting into the middle of the rotation is... well, that sure is a special opinion.

I dont mind either, but they would have to be cheap.

Walker wants 10M, but projects to put up half the value of Paxton.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

This somewhat surprises me because they are around 130 million and I think during their peak a few years ago it got as high as 160. Not to mention they probably saved quite a bit last year and the year before when they had a small budget.

If the salary is close to the budget, that's why I hate the Roark signing and I said I didn't like it at the time. Getting rid of him would save 12 million.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The only worry is if the ceiling is the ceiling going forward or only for this year.

the management team could have an internal cap as they wat to allocate something more towards next years crop of free agents instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad