Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Remember that HR Pillar hit when the ball was almost on the ground and inside. It was incredible he could even make contact let alone a HR. I think it was in a playoff game too. :laugh:

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Remember that HR Pillar hit when the ball was almost on the ground and inside. It was incredible he could even make contact let alone a HR. I think it was in a playoff game too. :laugh:
I don't remember that, but I do remember him hitting a home run off of a Yu Darvish fastball in game 2 of the 2016 ALDS where it was at eye level.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Odd for the Brewers to pick up Fisher. Not exactly a lot of space for him in their outfield either

OptimusReim

Jul 13, 2011
I have a hard time believing that after all the moves we made this offseason to improve the team, that this is the starting rotation come opening day.

And hopefully we get someone better than Walker..

Reactions: Beaumaris

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I get that Walker isn't amazing. And he got really lucky to post the stats he did last year if you dig into the numbers.

But our rotation is seriously Ryu, Pearson, Ray, Roark and Matz? Those last 3 could be a complete nightmare and even if Pearson starts the year lights out, do we really think they will let him pitch unlimited innings this year?

Reactions: Kurtz

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I get that Walker isn't amazing. And he got really lucky to post the stats he did last year if you dig into the numbers.

But our rotation is seriously Ryu, Pearson, Ray, Roark and Matz? Those last 3 could be a complete nightmare and even if Pearson starts the year lights out, do we really think they will let him pitch unlimited innings this year?
This is exactly the issue I have with the offseason. We've brought in multiple quality players, but that isn't an excuse to not upgrade the rotation in a window year like this. The Padres got Darvish for pennies on the dollar, it's absolutely a buyers market and I really don't see an excuse not to upgrade before opening day.

We already have a great infield of the future, and 3 more top 100 infield prospect in the pipeline. You're increasing your odds of winning a world series with this core by sacrificing 1 or 2 of those pieces to go for it this year than you are waiting. I think this board underestimates how damaging it is to waste a year where most of our core is still on rookie deals. I love Orelvis Martinez but if we can get a solid #2 pitcher out of him with a couple years of control, then go for it.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Based on what I watched last season,I would pass on him.
He was good for us and seems to want to be here. In our rotation other then Ryu, Pearson doesn't count (due to innings restrictions that will be placed) who do you think is superior to Walker? Totally disagree with your point.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Just you wait ... These 10 hitters will break out
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. -- 1B/DH, Blue Jays
Key number: 12 career batted balls with 115+ mph exit velocity
Even though we’ve already seen two seasons of Vlad Jr., it’s easy to forget that he’s still very young -- he’ll be 22 by Opening Day, with plenty of career ahead of him. We’ve seen the impressive power, and there’s a lot of evidence that there’s even more waiting to be unlocked. His 12 batted balls with at least a 115 mph exit velocity since he debuted are five more than any other player has since the start of 2019.

In 2020, Guerrero had a 50.8% hard-hit rate, which ranked 12th among players with at least 100 batted balls and was up about 12 percentage points from '19. As with all ‘20 stats, the real number for him over a full season likely lies somewhere in the middle, but this shows that there’s plenty of power for the young slugger still to unleash. The key will be lifting all that hard contact in the air on a more regular basis. The Blue Jays added veteran George Springer in the offseason, and with a lot of other talented teammates including Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio and others, Guerrero Jr. should be ripe to break out in 2021.
-- Sarah Langs

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
He was good for us and seems to want to be here. In our rotation other then Ryu, Pearson doesn't count (due to innings restrictions that will be placed) who do you think is superior to Walker? Totally disagree with your point.
Walker struggled big time last season,too many pitches,struggled to get to the 4th.5th. Innings.Shoemaker the opposite.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Walker struggled big time last season,too many pitches,struggled to get to the 4th.5th. Innings.Shoemaker the opposite.

Fun fact: in 6 starts each with the Blue Jays, Walker and Shoemaker each pitched 5+ innings three times and 6 innings twice.

Walker had a 1.37 ERA with the Jays and a less impressive but still solid 4.14 FIP.
Shoemaker had a 4.71 ERA and a 5.95 FIP.

I mean...

Reactions: smitty10

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Fun fact: in 6 starts each with the Blue Jays, Walker and Shoemaker each pitched 5+ innings three times and 6 innings twice.

Walker had a 1.37 ERA with the Jays and a less impressive but still solid 4.14 FIP.
Shoemaker had a 4.71 ERA and a 5.95 FIP.

I mean...

If I were the Jays I would be pushing hard to bring Walker back. I would give him a 2 year deal with a 3rd as a team option.

Those out there that are stating that it wouldnt do much for the Jays to get him are out to lunch. This guy came in and Pete Walker did something to turn him into a viable starter. He wants to be here and is still relatively young. Give him a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal, with a 3rd year team option at 10 million.

After seeing what Paxton got, he should and will accept that deal I think.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If I were the Jays I would be pushing hard to bring Walker back. I would give him a 2 year deal with a 3rd as a team option.

Those out there that are stating that it wouldnt do much for the Jays to get him are out to lunch. This guy came in and Pete Walker did something to turn him into a viable starter. He wants to be here and is still relatively young. Give him a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal, with a 3rd year team option at 10 million.

After seeing what Paxton got, he should and will accept that deal I think.

I'm not so sure Pete Walker did anything to him. All his peripherals with the Jays were in line with his career numbers. He just got enough luck in a small sample that the ERA stayed way down.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'm not so sure Pete Walker did anything do him. All his peripherals with the Jays were in line with his career numbers. He just got enough luck in a small sample that the ERA stayed way down.

Its been reported by many that the Walker's worked well together. He's stated on social media that the organization believes in working with its players and is a top organization. Maybe your right, not much was done but I liked what I saw in him. And he improves the rotation if signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad