Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, I'm tempted to ask Isaac Nooton up there if he was hit in the head by something larger than an apple, but I'll refrain. Fact is sports got massacred in 2019, and it was due to a culmination of factors. Here's a Times article on it, with an exerpt:

TV Ratings for Many Sports Are Down. Don’t Read Too Much Into It Yet.

Ratings for the N.B.A. finals were down 49 percent, and the N.H.L.’s Stanley Cup finals were down a whopping 61 percent. Baseball, golf, tennis, horse racing and other sports have all seen huge declines. Even the usually untouchable N.F.L. was down 13 percent through Week 5.
NBA is a garbage league now of only super teams. NHL had a bad cup final for teams. Atmosphere is messed up. Everything is off and people don’t care

Reactions: smitty10

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
He doesn't sound mad at all.

Outside of anything to do with politics it would be interesting to see what Gibby could do with the current roster.
I think he'd do quite well with this roster, the biggest difference between Gibby and Montoyo is bullpen management. If the Jays only get 1 more starting pitcher before opening day, there's going to be a lot of bullpen shenanigans and that's imo Montoyo's biggest weakness.

Reactions: Jmo89

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

How many Cy Youngs can Hill, Wacha and Archer win in a year?

Depends if the league is willing to give them one each or if they'll have to share one.

Seriously though, seems like the Rays are going out of their way to match the Ray/Stripling/Matz part of the Jays rotation, which doesn't seem like the best strategy to me.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Sure, it was the fact that they used their platform to promote social activism that reduced their ratings, not the society altering pandemic and layoff that resulted from it. I have no way of proving causation either way, but I suspect that the lifestyle changes imposed by the pandemic played the biggest role in that. It's not as if the NHL playoffs held up any better despite the clear difference in activism.

Lifestyle changes? Like more people than ever being home watching TV?

Ratings weren't bad, they were historically bad.

Top 3 lowest rated Finals games of all time? All the past year. Top 3 lowest watched of all time? All this past year.

All this with the most popular player and team playing in the Finals.

NBA Finals television ratings - Wikipedia

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
149782007_10157547182205689_8878232103887333496_n.jpg

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Top 3 lowest rated Finals games of all time? All the past year. Top 3 lowest watched of all time? All this past year.

Friends of mine that are basketball fans say they watch less because its same teams facing Lebron. Raptors kinda broke through, but its going to go back to that again. It's nice if you are a fan of one of the superteams, but otherwie you know your team isn't going to do squat.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I want James Paxton really bad.

Just noticed he was drafted by us in the 1st round of the 2009 draft. Then again in 2010 (4th round) by Seattle. Am i missing something here?

Reactions: Anthrax442

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I want James Paxton really bad.

Just noticed he was drafted by us in the 1st round of the 2009 draft. Then again in 2010 (4th round) by Seattle. Am i missing something here?
We drafted him, he demanded too much money (Boras client) and he went back into the draft. We ended up getting an extra 1st round pick the next year which was used to draft Noah Syndergaard.

Reactions: CatchyTune

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
We drafted him, he demanded too much money (Boras client) and he went back into the draft. We ended up getting an extra 1st round pick the next year which was used to draft Marcus Stroman.
Well thats good at least. thats before my time so i was never aware.

hopefully we can get (re)united this time around!

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015

There is probably more then a few reasons why. Does illegal streaming count in those ratings?

A Normal sports year for me. Leaf games at least 75 games plus playoff games, i normally would watch 10 or so games of Boston and Tampa and scoreboard watch the rest. The NBA i'd watch about 50 Raptor games plus play offs. For MLB I'd watch between 80 and 100 jays games. I will also admit I'm much more of Toronto Fan then an NBA or MLB fan. But i love watching Sports with my kids.

This year i have paid attention to the Jays a lot more then normal. I'm watching all the Canadian teams in the NHL. I have Completely avoided the NBA. I don't watch any American TV channels and have avoided all American Teams. Which has been rather easy this year as nothing is on for new shows. I don't think anyways.

The one interesting thing is you are correct there is more people staying at home so you would think viewership would go up. Logically speaking of course. So what are people watching instead?

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Yeah, I'm tempted to ask Isaac Nooton up there if he was hit in the head by something larger than an apple, but I'll refrain. Fact is sports got massacred in 2019, and it was due to a culmination of factors. Here's a Times article on it, with an exerpt:

TV Ratings for Many Sports Are Down. Don’t Read Too Much Into It Yet.

Ratings for the N.B.A. finals were down 49 percent, and the N.H.L.’s Stanley Cup finals were down a whopping 61 percent. Baseball, golf, tennis, horse racing and other sports have all seen huge declines. Even the usually untouchable N.F.L. was down 13 percent through Week 5.
The article has some explanations as to why they're down. But yeah, I don't think sports viewership on the tv is anything to be worried about especially when you're looking at 2020 which is what the article was looking at and discussing. COVID, protests, sports leagues airing their playoffs at unusual times, many people probably cancelled their cable or subscriptions and pirated online etc.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
There is probably more then a few reasons why. Does illegal streaming count in those ratings?

A Normal sports year for me. Leaf games at least 75 games plus playoff games, i normally would watch 10 or so games of Boston and Tampa and scoreboard watch the rest. The NBA i'd watch about 50 Raptor games plus play offs. For MLB I'd watch between 80 and 100 jays games. I will also admit I'm much more of Toronto Fan then an NBA or MLB fan. But i love watching Sports with my kids.

This year i have paid attention to the Jays a lot more then normal. I'm watching all the Canadian teams in the NHL. I have Completely avoided the NBA. I don't watch any American TV channels and have avoided all American Teams. Which has been rather easy this year as nothing is on for new shows. I don't think anyways.

The one interesting thing is you are correct there is more people staying at home so you would think viewership would go up. Logically speaking of course. So what are people watching instead?
Streaming. It's hard to care about sports when leagues are so messed up due to COVID. I hardly cared when they restarted the playoffs. I watched the leaf games just to get my hockey fix but in the end I didn't feel it had the same atmosphere or level of importance compared to a regular-season or if they had started it way sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad