Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Throwing stuff at the wall and hoping that it sticks is certainly a bold strategy when you're right on the playoff cusp.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The Jays and their starting pitching is like they had a 67 Mustang, souped it up with a ton of power (hitters), gave it a nice paint job (bull pen) then decided...nah we don't need to do anything with that old transmission (starting pitching).

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Ben Nicholson-Smith said don’t hold your breath on an Odorizzi or Walker signing.

The Jays want to sign them for one year and those guys want multiple years. They want flexibility next offseason. They want to be big players next offseason.

Says it’s likely the Jays like what they have to start the season and save the money they have and use it to trade for a better pitcher at the deadline.

Says they need to build these starters up. Even without injury or performance related issues, they expect the Jays to use 8-9+ starters before the deadline on purpose.

They want to give their depth pitchers like Hatch, Kay, Thornton and Zeuch a shot at pitching. If they are great they keep them, if they are good they use them as trade bait at the deadline.

They said there are teams like San Fransisco have no shot at the playoffs with the Dodgers and Padres in their division. So they might be motivated to trade earlier in the year.

They use Gausman as an example. The Jays went after him twice in the last two off-seasons and he wouldn’t take their money. So they would force him to play for us via trade.
I'm assuming you've gotten this from the At The Letters podcast, I'm 20 minutes in as we speak. I think the most interesting thing for me thus far has been Zwelling, twice already, alluding to Roark being more likely to be in the starting rotation than not.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm assuming you've gotten this from the At The Letters podcast, I'm 20 minutes in as we speak. I think the most interesting thing for me thus far has been Zwelling, twice already, alluding to Roark being more likely to be in the starting rotation than not.

Yeah you are right. Don’t want to ruin it for you so don’t read any further;

They said SWR will surprise during ST. He will show polish and MLB readiness. They think he will force the Jays hand and will pitching on the 2021 team.

They said he has Marcus Stroman tendencies in the sense that he loves to show his emotions on the field after a big play. They said you will see a lot of this from the next wave of prospects; mostly in SWR, Kloffenstein and Groshans. These are confident players coming.

They like Joey Murray a lot. They think he will make the bullpen at some point in the season and have a long career.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

This guy posted this tweet earlier today and no one believed him. Rightfully so as he has 21 followers but if the Mets are offering 3 years then Walker is going there;

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Spring Begins With High Expectations | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Ben Nicholson-Smith said don’t hold your breath on an Odorizzi or Walker signing.

The Jays want to sign them for one year and those guys want multiple years. They want flexibility next offseason. They want to be big players next offseason.

Says it’s likely the Jays like what they have to start the season and save the money they have and use it to trade for a better pitcher at the deadline.

Says they need to build these starters up. Even without injury or performance related issues, they expect the Jays to use 8-9+ starters before the deadline on purpose.

They want to give their depth pitchers like Hatch, Kay, Thornton and Zeuch a shot at pitching. If they are great they keep them, if they are good they use them as trade bait at the deadline.

They said there are teams like San Fransisco have no shot at the playoffs with the Dodgers and Padres in their division. So they might be motivated to trade earlier in the year.

They use Gausman as an example. The Jays went after him twice in the last two off-seasons and he wouldn’t take their money. So they would force him to play for us via trade.

I like this plan. I wouldn't sign either Odorizzi or Walker for multi-year deals. Excluding the Mets, I don't think there is any other team looking into those players so they don't have much leverage. As I have said before, those players aren't going to make a big difference anyways.

Reactions: Auston 316

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Throwing stuff at the wall and hoping that it sticks is certainly a bold strategy when you're right on the playoff cusp.

This is what really bugs me about a large corporate owner. There's no flexibility to adjust for the situation or make that one move to push them over the top when the time is right. The budget is the budget and that's all there is to it.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Vladdy's grandma is going to have to cook less food now.

Keep Kirk and Vladdy on their current programs, and hire a couple someone’s to eat grandma’s cooking. That way no ones tempted, or feels guilty, and she gets to keep doing what she’s doing. Win-win.

Reactions: phillipmike

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Spring Begins With High Expectations | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

It's the right move. We shouldn't commit major dollars to mid-level starters with risk of injury.

We have SO many arms. Any or all of them could rise to the level of Odorizzi or Walker.

Play your assets. Promote your assets. Let internal competition spur their value on our team and in the league.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It's the right move. We shouldn't commit major dollars to mid-level starters with risk of injury.

We have SO many arms. Any or all of them could rise to the level of Odorizzi or Walker.

Play your assets. Promote your assets. Let internal competition spur their value on our team and in the league.

Yeah i wish for an upgrade but im not ready to commit more than a year. Id gladly take any remaining starter on a 1 year deal. But if not, no real loss.

Play the season, see who hits and if you need an arm, make a trade. Plus you have so many minor leaguers in A ball on the cusp of becoming huge assets just by maintaining their 2019 and 2020 seasons/play in 2021. They will be promoted to AA and/or AAA and you potentially have Patino type prospects you can deal for a Cy Young candidate with multiple years of control.

These players are expected to perform and if they do while being promoted to AA ball, you could have 7-8 blue chip prospects in AA or higher;

-Martin
-Groshans
-SWR
-Manoah
-Kirk
-Moreno

-Martinez
-Hiraldo

Thats unreal value and teams that are selling, will be calling you.

There is value in waiting if the remaining top guys want multiple years. Id still be interested in a Porcello or Leake on a 1 year deal if we cant get Odroizzi or Walker.

Reactions: BigBlu

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
14 years and that much money for a guy whos played 143 games is just such an unnecessary pointless risk imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad