Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He's going to break twitter if he keeps posting shirtless pics.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Brian Campbell. I wouldn't say he was bad in the West by any means, but he has been much better in the East during his career.

so... one defenseman? and that might not have been just because he was in the west as i watched sharks a lot 07-08 and he was pretty damn good for them. though i do think it's possible that soupy could've struggled because of it, as his little soft and pretty small.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
More like his next fight with Weber. Left to the body, left to the body, left to the body.

I could get down with hating the Preds, I know we're supposed to hate the Wild...but I liked Minneapolis/St. Paul and the people I met too much to hate them when we're not in the middle of a playoff series. And hating the Blues is getting stale since they've now started screwing themselves in the offseason, as well as the postseason.

We need landy to do something dirty :sarcasm against the Preds again, especially once we've got Rads to really piss them off.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
so... one defenseman? and that might not have been just because he was in the west as i watched sharks a lot 07-08 and he was pretty damn good for them. though i do think it's possible that soupy could've struggled because of it, as his little soft and pretty small.

I just named one that came to the top of my head... not many good/decent defensemen switch conferences anymore. Leddy, Goligoski, and Stralman have all looked better in the east than the west over the years. Connauton, Cole, and Petry looked better in their spurts this year in the east than they have in the west. The east is an easier conference to play in for defensemen... the best will still be the best though. Karlsson could play on any team in the league and be awesome.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I just named one that came to the top of my head... not many good/decent defensemen switch conferences anymore. Leddy, Goligoski, and Stralman have all looked better in the east than the west over the years. Connauton, Cole, and Petry looked better in their spurts this year in the east than they have in the west. The east is an easier conference to play in for defensemen... the best will still be the best though. Karlsson could play on any team in the league and be awesome.

leddy didn't have as big role and was young so one would've expected him to develop. not high IQ player like sekera.

strålman had those health issues and those weren't fixed until he became a ranger, wasn't good with leafs either.

goligoski has to play higher in the depth chart with stars than he had to with pens, not as good skater as sekera or as smart. also has had pretty good years with the stars.

petry was in brutal position, more likely that than not being able to handle the west. little bit similar to myers who can surely handle the east but was much better in the west.

connauton didn't fit into ruff's system.

can't speak for cole as i didn't see him much but he's not a comparable player to sekera.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I think sekera will play well in Edmonton, his only issue will be his d partner who is rumored to be...Schultz.... Even if he does fail people will say oh its because the defense was terrible to begin with, still a great signing, where as if Beauchemin plays well in Colorado no one but us will say anything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
leddy didn't have as big role and was young so one would've expected him to develop. not high IQ player like sekera.

strålman had those health issues and those weren't fixed until he became a ranger, wasn't good with leafs either.

goligoski has to play higher in the depth chart with stars than he had to with pens, not as good skater as sekera or as smart. also has had pretty good years with the stars.

petry was in brutal position, more likely that than not being able to handle the west. little bit similar to myers who can surely handle the east but was much better in the west.

connauton didn't fit into ruff's system.

can't speak for cole as i didn't see him much but he's not a comparable player to sekera.

I'm not saying there isn't some reasoning behind these things... but defensemen as a whole (especially average and smaller sized) have tended to look better in the east than the west. Sekera's time in the west wasn't as good as his time in the east... there is some reasoning behind why that is, but the results are there. I'm not saying Sekera would go from a 2/3 to a bottom pairing guy... I'm saying he might have more struggles than he would in the east. A number of players has found it easier in the east vs the west.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think sekera will play well in Edmonton, his only issue will be his d partner who is rumored to be...Schultz.... Even if he does fail people will say oh its because the defense was terrible to begin with, still a great signing, where as if Beauchemin plays well in Colorado no one but us will say anything.

Beauchemin isn't the "sexy" off-season signing. He's getting there in age, but still plays at high level. Who cares what others think. They probably have little knowledge of our team anyway.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I am still sad they did not get Sekera and although I understand their reason for not givine term I do not agree with it (the old hen in a hand is worth more than 2 in a bush) but Beauchemin is the fall back I am most excited about. Martin, Oduya, franson, none of those guys are what I would like

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm glad they didn't offer sekera term. 3 off-seasons from now the avs are going to need players on ELC's. You probably couldn't have 20m+ committed to the top 4 dmen and still have enough cap to go around.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nothing is happening with the free agents. It's been dead since July 1st. I guess teams have no cap space or are just waiting for players to sign at a heavy discount.

I guess a few players might be waiting on teams to open up some space too. Oduya in particular.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nothing is happening with the free agents. It's been dead since July 1st. I guess teams have no cap space or are just waiting for players to sign at a heavy discount.

I guess a few players might be waiting on teams to open up some space too. Oduya in particular.

It is very strange. Some of those players must be getting antsy.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
From Friedman's 30 thoughts:

24. Edmonton had to fight off a lot of competition for Andrej Sekera. Colorado, Detroit and San Jose all went hard for him. The Oilers were aggressive with the sixth year, which made the difference.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-players-like-kessel-tough-to-find/

So pretty much confirms it was about term.

Also I thought this was interesting/surprising:

“I think you’re going to see some good players having to accept training camp tryouts,” one GM said Wednesday. Yikes.

The market really is dead.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We get an EXTENDED "30 Thoughts" from Friedman, and the only mention of Colorado (besides quoting Shattenkirk on who he was traded for) is that little blurb about Sekera...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We get an EXTENDED "30 Thoughts" from Friedman, and the only mention of Colorado (besides quoting Shattenkirk on who he was traded for) is that little blurb about Sekera...

I love Friedman to death but his 30 thoughts aren't quite what they used to be. The lack of Avs talk is whatever, but I mostly get annoyed by the fact that he will talk about the same thing or person in 5 different "thoughts". His 30 thoughts used to be 30 subjects but now it's generally 8-15 subjects but each is broken down to add more numbers. For example he went about Armstrong in St.Louis from #5 to #11 this week.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm sure Yzerman is looking forward to negotiating a Stamkos extension with Don Meehan as much as he looks forward to a root canal.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The Avs FA moves this year were all very vanilla ice cream signings...in that they do nothing to really surprise you or delight....but they are safe and stabilize a bit of a rocky road team.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
From Friedman's 30 thoughts:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-players-like-kessel-tough-to-find/

So pretty much confirms it was about term.

Also I thought this was interesting/surprising:

The market really is dead.

Fehr comes to mind. As does Upshall, definitey him
I think it also speaks to teams wanting desperately to fit their ELC on to the roster
and it doesnt hurt that so many young players are more prepared now for
pro hockey than they have ever been.
So for ex. if your Murray you could sign Fehr or you could just play Reinhart instead.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Avs FA moves this year were all very vanilla ice cream signings...in that they do nothing to really surprise you or delight....but they are safe and stabilize a bit of a rocky road team.

? With ROR leaving, getting the best C on the market, who fits Roy's fetish for getting bigger down the middle; as well as one of the 2 best LHDs on the market, that fits with the timeline on our young dmen; and a McGinn fill in who can actually PK; doesn't delight you?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fehr comes to mind. As does Upshall, definitey him
I think it also speaks to teams wanting desperately to fit their ELC on to the roster
and it doesnt hurt that so many young players are more prepared now for
pro hockey than they have ever been.
So for ex. if your Murray you could sign Fehr or you could just play Reinhart instead.

Edmonton should offer Fehr a healthy deal to either be their 3C or to babysit a pair of their kids. Hall-McDavid-Fehr scares me a lot more than Hall-McDavid-Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad