Of the 8 teams left, which SCF matchup would be a ratings flop?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Minnesota isn't a small market, especially for hockey. The Minneapolis Nielsen market is roughly the same size as Seattle and Miami. Add to that the fact that it is one of the largest hockey hotbeds in the country.

The myth of Minnesota as a small market is a product of the era of the Twins playing in the Metrodome. Their revenue stream at the time was one of the lowest in baseball, but that was mostly a stadium issue.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Why would Minn draw. Good team, but I don't see a lot of appeal to the avg american fan, since I assume all Canadians are watching regardless.
Most of the US teams are regional draws. The Wild may not be appealing to hockey fans on the east coast, but they are no less appealing than teams like the Bruins or the Rangers to hockey fans in the upper Midwest.

Mynameismark*

They would not set the States on fire, In the USA, no one cares about the Habs, except maybe Bruins fans who hate them lol.

I hear BS like this all the time. Why would other american cities care if a different american team other then their own are in the finals? They wouldnt. You'd get a strong regional rating for whatever city is in the final...but I would assume that Montreal(with the amount of actual canadians living in the states) and the people who are americans outside of whoever is in the final, would prefer to watch the Habs than say Minny....tampa...or most any of them, aside from the two big one's perhaps.

They are not just a large market and the biggest name in the game, but they do have star power too. Subban and Price..

Dec 8, 2014
Habs can attract a lot of viewers in the US with PK Subban, Devante Smith-Pelly leads hits for the team, Pacioretty american goal scorer, Galchenyuk great american prospect, Carey Price etc.

Montreal vs Chicago would be a great one.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do large amounts of viewers give a damn in Wahington?

Do viewers outside of DC care about the Caps?

Same could be said for Tampa, and ANA.

While I don't think many viewers outside MN care about the Wild, I can assure you that there is massive interest here. They are starved for a winner, and hockey interest and participation by the common folk rivals, and in some cases, surpasses, interest in Canada.

Canadians will watch anything , though an All American SCF would be a disappointment.

League would be thrilled with a CHI/NYR matchup, but would be OK with a MTL/CHI game. Classic stuff.

ANA/TAMPA? Might be good hockey, but besides a few die hards, would die in the ratings. Calgary would bring in Canada, which is not a small thing.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
From the NBC perspective, I still think a decent amount of Americans would be interested in that franchise over even Anaheim or Tampa. If Calgary made it tho...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

While I don't think many viewers outside MN care about the Wild, I can assure you that there is massive interest here. They are starved for a winner, and hockey interest and participation by the common folk rivals, and in some cases, surpasses, interest in Canada.

Canadians will watch anything , though an All American SCF would be a disappointment.

League would be thrilled with a CHI/NYR matchup, but would be OK with a MTL/CHI game. Classic stuff.

ANA/TAMPA? Might be good hockey, but besides a few die hards, would die in the ratings. Calgary would bring in Canada, which is not a small thing.

There are quite a few Caps fans outside of DC, myself included. They draw ratings just by having Ovechkin on the team.

PricePkPatch*

There are quite a few Caps fans outside of DC, myself included. They draw ratings just by having Ovechkin on the team.

I dont doubt that.

But compared with the number of Habs fans outside Canada?

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014

You would have lots of people watching just to see if ovechkin could finally win it. You'd have a lot of supporters watching and a lot of haters watching = lots of views

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Ironically, when Canadians say they want the cup in Canada there are always people saying "why do you care? Do you cheer for the whole country?" and then here we are in this thread with Americans saying nobody in the US will watch if a Canadian team makes it.

Then there is people saying Canada will watch anything. Will America not watch anything? Are Canadians just that much better hockey fans?

Lots of inconsistencies and dumb assumptions in here. The worst match up would be the least popular teams and that is Anaheim and Tampa. People around Canada and America will watch, but less than any other match up

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ironically, when Canadians say they want the cup in Canada there are always people saying "why do you care? Do you cheer for the whole country?" and then here we are in this thread with Americans saying nobody in the US will watch if a Canadian team makes it.

Then there is people saying Canada will watch anything. Will America not watch anything? Are Canadians just that much better hockey fans?

Lots of inconsistencies and dumb assumptions in here. The worst match up would be the least popular teams and that is Anaheim and Tampa. People around Canada and America will watch, but less than any other match up

American hockey fans, the majority of them, are more fans of their particular team then they are the NHL. Unless you are a true die hard and order center ice, you get your teams games on your local cable channel and only have access to 2-3 other games a week on NBC Sports/NHL/NBC. So the average fan just doesn't know a ton about other teams. So it comes down to region and star power. Obviously Chicago and NY have huge markets and would increase ratings. Chicago is the "darling" of the league because they have Toews/Kane, players that the average fan knows and could increase interest. Oveckin helps Wash in that regard. I don't know that Stamkos moves the needle like they do.

Of course Canadians are much better hockey fans on average. They care about jr. hockey, the world championships.

And before anyone says anything, obviously I'm talking in generalities and not in absolutes.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Worst: Tampa vs Anaheim, that's pretty much a consensus right?
Worst in the US: Calgary vs Montreal
Worst in Canada: Tampa vs Anaheim more than likely as well.
Best: Chicago vs Montreal
Best in the US: Chicago vs NYR
Best in Canada: Calgary vs Montreal

That's the way I think it would be. That isn't to discredit teams like Minny who I think would get good ratings in the finals, I just think Chicago would get better ratings.

PricePkPatch*

Actually, i think a finals with Montreal would draw more viewers in the US than a finals with Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad