Speculation: NYR Roster Building Part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah, but to be fair, is there a poster on this board that doesn't propose whack ass video game ****? :laugh:

I mean, I've seen Nash traded for bits and pieces that suck :dunno: , and people throw Staal and Girardi around like they aren't anchored here until their NMCs run out. (Does G have a limited NTC, I doubt it)

Unless trade speculation amounts to constant self abuse like B.........er (I don't mean BBK'ers he's a really good poster), that's what the board is for, to speculate, opine and generally have fun.

Unfortunately, this underachieving mess team frustrates the hell out of everyone and we all get testy.

say what you will
I go thru years of condemnation for wanting to trade Girardi, then when we wait too long to do it, I am proven right.

I am now advising we move the vet core, esp Brass+Zuc+Step, for youth esp as needed.

Call it self abuse.
In the end, I am proven right.

Hundreds of posts in a given year, only a handful or so may say to the effect,
all of a sudden, bernmeister's posts don't seem so crazy

but it is ultimate truth that my detractors can not deny!:D:naughty::amazed::):yo::laugh:;):popcorn::nod:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, let's move 2/3 of our top line and our top-2 scorers because logic. Who cares that they're both 28 and on great contracts. Oh, and the aging vet, 25 year old Derek Stepan. Kreider is one year younger, and Hayes is two years younger than Stepan, but Stepan is the aging vet.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree, and I don't understand why it's looked at like a franchise-shattering trade.
It was not franchise shattering. It was an asset-depleting trade that did not work.
It was a move that propelled us to our first Stanley Cup Finals since 1994, and Tampa got our 3RW at the time who wanted $7M as a free agent and was being a pain in the ass in negotiations.
Whether or not the deal was what propelled the team to the Cup Finals is completely debatable. I do not believe that it was.
Would those picks have been nice? Sure, but it's also important to remember that the 2014 pick was conditional on us making the ECF.
The picks were given away in a trade where MSL held all of the cards. In an of itself, had it just been Callahan, it was ok. But it was not. The trade did not make the team better then and is hurting the franchise now.
Sather was trying to win now, and he almost got it.
Far from "almost".
If Josh Ho-Sang and Anthony Beauvillier are shredding us for the next decade, we can complain about that trade then. Otherwise, it worked out for both teams.
The deal did not work for the Rangers. It only worked for Tampa.

BarbaraAlphanse

The difference of course being when they traded Gaborik they had Nash.

After Nash they have...

Zuccarello? I guess... Kreider? lulz

And Richards.

I dunno, I still think they should go for it. Hockey move. Not mortgage future even more.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
It was not franchise shattering. It was an asset-depleting trade that did not work.

Whether or not the deal was what propelled the team to the Cup Finals is completely debatable. I do not believe that it was.

The picks were given away in a trade where MSL held all of the cards. In an of itself, had it just been Callahan, it was ok. But it was not. The trade did not make the team better then and is hurting the franchise now.

Far from "almost".

The deal did not work for the Rangers. It only worked for Tampa.

Did the Rangers win the Eastern Conference in 2014?

Did the Rangers win the Presidents Trophy last years?

I mean those are real accomplishments. They aren't the holy grail but for this franchise, those are real meaningful seasons. MSL was part of that success. That trade did not hurt the Rangers, it helped the Rangers. Just because you were wrong about the move at the time doesn't mean you can change history.

TB just ignores any success...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The difference of course being when they traded Gaborik they had Nash.

After Nash they have...

Zuccarello? I guess... Kreider? lulz

I didn't say Nash. It could be Girardi? It could be Yandle. It could be Staal. It could be someone else. I just don't think Gorton wants to sit and wait past the deadline to put his stamp on the team.

BarbaraAlphanse

Staal or G at the deadline. Nash at the offseason. How confident is Gorton he can resign Yandle.

The Rangers can be right back in the swing of things with some improvements. The mets lost all 7 regular season games to the cubs. They ran them out of town during the playoffs. Certain players played to expectations. A few savvy key moves. Rangers aren't far. They don't need to mortgage the future. This league is wide open. Washington doesn't scare me. They're a team built for regular season success. Trotz and torts have similar systems and mentalities. Brouwer and Ward gone will hurt them in the playoffs. I said this in the offseason. Sexy in the regular season, will burn out in the playoffs.

Who else? No one. Everyone else has flaws. Even the caps have flaws. We have a top 2 goalie in the league. Make a hockey trade, get some scoring, and hope the players you're paying big bucks here live up to expectations when push comes to shove.

Rangers will make the ECF this year if they make a hockey move that wakes this team up and lights a fire under their complacent *****. After that, the chips will fall where they may.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
As this season progresses, I get the same feeling I did leading up to the deadline when they traded Gaborik.

I honestly didn't feel like Gabby was going to get traded that season. I remember driving in my car and it was like 2:55p and NHL radio on Sirius/XM announced Gaborik was traded to Columbus and I was legitimately shocked.

I also think it's ironic that Gaborik would be the perfect player to fix our top 6 RW issue.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I honestly didn't feel like Gabby was going to get traded that season. I remember driving in my car and it was like 2:55p and NHL radio on Sirius/XM announced Gaborik was traded to Columbus and I was legitimately shocked.

I also think it's ironic that Gaborik would be the perfect player to fix our top 6 RW issue.

Gabby stinks so far this year. FYI

Hartnell for Girardi. Getter done

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

It was a very smart, shrewd move to make. Added the depth the team needed and flexibility to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad