Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Folks seem to think that Goodrow was getting 30+ points from the 4th line and thats not the case at all.

He played up and down the line up while Gallant was HC. It was dumb then and no less smart today.

He played this past season exactly where he should, 4th line and his numbers reflected that.

His legs are shot. He's not the guy he used to be and 30+ a year is most likely not in his future
I think he'll look a little better next season with actual off-ice training. He had a fracture ankle and didn't get a real off-season to train. Then spit out pieces of his jaw in an injury during the season. But in the end, 3.6 is too much for our 4th line.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If the rumour to the Sharks is true, and there is a handshake deal...what do Rangers realistically think the Sharks would get for taking him?
Friedman talking on 32 thoughts said there's a lot of smoke around that.

Goodrow can't block being claimed by San Jose. Friedman brought this up as I guess people were thinking there was a way, or he could file a greiveance.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Better than Panarin in the playoffs
Ah, the breadman (little b). With all due respect, a bag of Wonder Bread is a better bet than Panarin in the playoffs. Not sure I've seen a player bail out of so many hits and give up the puck as a result. Great player, but after this playoffs I think it's clear he's not a guy who's going to lay it all on the line to win it all.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Goodrow is a solid player but why would any team claim him with the remaining term?

For the sharks, there are so many ways to address cap space or pick up gritty cheaper players. I just don’t see it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sharks don't need to be in the business of doing anyone any favors which is what claiming Goodrow would be if there's nothing on the side. There are better vets out there for them than another 4th liner like Sturm.
I'd happily retain some to make the deal happened without a get out of jail free card.

But, NYR are kinda' depleted on draft picks over the next 3 years. I'd have to look if any of them are conditional to come back, but it's not great.
0 2nd round picks.
1 3rd round pick
1 4th round pick.
I think a first is too rich to part with.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'd happily retain some to make the deal happened without a get out of jail free card.

But, NYR are kinda' depleted on draft picks over the next 3 years. I'd have to look if any of them are conditional to come back, but it's not great.
0 2nd round picks.
1 3rd round pick
1 4th round pick.
I know some rangers fans have given up on Kakko and (separate thought) Schneider, Zac Jones, Cuylle, Sykora, Othmann all have shown promise at some point or another. Is that too much for a Goodrow dump? Maybe/probably but I think a deal could have been made.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

0 2nd round picks.
1 3rd round pick
1 4th round pick.
Retention isn't a problem either way for the Sharks. They want futures to take on someone else's cap dumps regardless of potential positives one could gleam from that dump. If the Rangers aren't willing to give any 1st round pick whether it's this year or next year or 2026 even if we ease the pain by supplying a 3rd or 4th round pick, they would either need to eat 50% and take back someone like either Benning, Burroughs, Knyzhov, or Rutta and give us a 3rd and a 4th or something of similar value. I'm perfectly willing to work with the Rangers to take Goodrow off their hands but it has to be for the purpose of getting something done that we want too. At least on the 50% and take back one of those players, you can bury them outside of Rutta.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm willing to work as well but a 1st round pick isn't in the conversation with me. Getting a 3rd or 4th doesn't ease giving up a 1st. I think the most I would retain is Goodrow down to 2.2 million'ish, because when you start talking about 1.8 million for 3 years, I'm not sure it makes sense to save 1 year of a bad cap hit buying him out. (But maybe the organization views it different) 5 years of a cap penalty isn't ideal, but retaining half over buying him out is costing us an extra 2 million next year on the cap, considering we gain 250k . I'm guessing they're gunning for a RW to solve the 11 players who have played that position with Kreider and Zibanejad since trading Buchnevich.

Rangers have a lot of prospect who will never see the day they play 25% of regular season games for the team. There's simply no room. I'm not talking about our top prospects but rather those that will need a different scenery to try and break through the roster.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Maybe the waivers is part of the process? Show Goodrow no team is going to take him? IDK
It’s really a case where they had a deal in place (probably) but because SJ was on his NM list and they had first waiver wire claim priority this was the only way to get him to move. I do wonder if they even asked him to waive before this.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Have to think that IF the Sharks claim him the "future considerations" are whatever SJ can get out of getting him to waive his NTC (I doubt that would be difficult) and flipping him to another team with salary retention.

EDIT: SJ is already at max retention...

nm me.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I can kind of see the rationale for waiving him. Goodrow can block a trade to half the league, so if a team like the Sharks wanted him, claiming him on waivers is likely the only way they could add him to the team. They would get blocked on a trade, and Goodrow would likely pick a more competitive team to join if he were to get bought out. I still don’t think it’s likely that he gets claimed, but I think I understand the purpose.
I had a small feeling about it. Still can’t believe the Sharks did it.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I would think the Sharks will like get a pick from the Rangers in a subsequent trade or something. I know Grier and Drury are buds but this makes no sense if there is no follow up move.

Reactions: Sandisfan

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
What a surprise. The contract that smart people said was a bad contract ended up being bad.

Of course the people who argued in favour of it have retconned that from their memories.

Buyout incoming.
So easy to say in hindsight. What about all the times those "smart" people got it wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad