Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
When Ottawa talked about bringing in some “professional pros”, this is the type of player they were talking about.

After the buyout with the Rangers, expect the Sens to be one of the teams pushing to sign him. It’ll be a great situation for he and the team. What’s that look like on paper? Probably 2 years at $2.2 million. He’ll end up a million and a year ahead of where he was going to be staying in NY.

Well worth it for a team like Ottawa or Buffalo, who both need these type of vets. The “go to work everyday” types. Who play the game the right way, and who train the right way.

For the Rangers, it is what it is really. Spend a million to save $2.5 million. Not your perfect buyout but every dollar counts if you don’t think the player is worth it anymore. He just had a really good playoff though, so that’s probably where the eyebrows get raised some.

All in all, the Rangers get $2.5 million on their cap for 3 years, but pay $1.1 for an additional 3 years.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Makes perfect sense for the Rangers to waive him to allow teams to see if they want to add him now. No harm done in giving it a shot. Goodrow had a NTC as well.

As to your poster quoted, he is a huge troll who celebrated Rangers injuries in the regular season and then disappeared when his team did in the playoff series against the Rangers as well.
What injuries did I celebrate? I’m legitimately curious as I don’t recall this at all. I don’t like the Rangers team and I don’t hide that fact but other than sorting back and forth with some jokes I try to be level headed when it comes to hockey talk.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If they buy him out, that gives the Rangers a bit over $13 million in cap space, which begs the next question. Who are they after on July 1st?

Lindgren would be the bad move to re-sign but that's probably all but happening at this point I assume

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rumour SJ claiming Goodrow

I’m sure Rangers owe them something
He’s overpaid for what he does but SJ could use a veteran who has been with good teams. Not an attractive spot for players to go unless they overpay to endure losing.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Rangers felt he was too good in the post season and they like to allocate $ towards players who don't find ways to produce in the post season.

Goodrow is a great role player and you need players like him to win a Cup. I don't get this move.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
hes a solid fit for the sharks. If you have a young team that needs vet leadership and a great locker room guy, hes a great guy to have if you have cap space which the sharks have plenty of

Reactions: Dijock94

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
hes a solid fit for the sharks. If you have a young team that needs vet leadership and a great locker room guy, hes a great guy to have if you have cap space which the sharks have plenty of
Sharks don't need to be in the business of doing anyone any favors which is what claiming Goodrow would be if there's nothing on the side. There are better vets out there for them than another 4th liner like Sturm.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
He's a really good vet who shows up when it counts the most and has had one outlier regular season that he immediately made up for in the playoffs.

His salary is significant but with the salary cap going up significantly (and likely to increase in the next few seasons), some teams should definitely be all over this and put a claim.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Pretty bad choice for the sharks to do the Rangers a solid on this one. No reason they couldnt pay a draft pick for it.

I dont like even the concept that Grier is paying back the guy that got him the gm job.

Reactions: luiginb

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers felt he was too good in the post season and they like to allocate $ towards players who don't find ways to produce in the post season.

Goodrow is a great role player and you need players like him to win a Cup. I don't get this move.
It's not that hard to understand. He wasn't actually that good in the playoffs. He scored some clutch goals on 40% shooting and he's a good PKer. He doesn't score goals like that consistently, regular season or playoffs, and we can find someone to PK for less.

He's a 4th liner being paid 3.64 mil per year. That's a luxury the Rangers can no longer afford. We still have to re-sign or replace Lindgren, Schneider and Gustafsson. Next summer, the following players need new contracts:

Shesterkin
Lafreniere
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Kakko could be gone by then and Cuylle isn't in line for a significant raise, but Shesty and Laf will get big raises, and Miller already makes nearly 4 mil per year, so he won't be cheap.

The Rangers need to make sure they have enough space to get everyone signed. Hopefully, Drury will extend Shesty and Laf a year early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad