Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Goodrow 50% retained (1.8M) straight up for Sheary (2M)?

It's pretty much a cap neutral deal for both teams, NY gets out from the last year of the Goodrow deal while Tampa gets a known performer back for someone who doesn't fit the system. Saves NY from having a 6 year buyout on their hands either. Tampa could buy him out a year from now at a lower price.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
With the way Jon Cooper speaks of Goodrow in such glowing terms, and with BriseBois currently in getting-the-band-back-together mode these days, it seems like a foregone conclusion that Goodrow will be a Bolt if ever he is a UFA this summer.

But I wonder if they will even make a claim for him to prevent anyone else from getting him. Most "contenders" do not have enough space for him, but you just never know.

SJ, Utah and TB. Those are the three teams I could see claiming Goodrow tomorrow.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Weird buyout structure if they go that route. They'd actually *save* money on the cap next season, but in year 3 they're barely saving any money. Then a 1.1 mil cap charge for years 4-6.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He has to clear Unconditional Waivers before being bought out. By all accounts he's currently on Regular Waivers, meaning he'd have to be waived again prior to buyout.
I don't recall if the CBA says anything about when you have to be waived, just that the buyout can't be processed until 48 hours after the conclusion of the finals. Capfriendly FAQ doesn't state it either. There wouldn't be any purpose in waiving him, just to waive him again, they may just want to execute the buyout as soon as possible since there's such a short period.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
no idea. never watched titanic. i am hockey fan.
There's a meme about her. She's retelling her story of surviving the Titanic and says "It's been 84 years" which is about how long you'll have to wait for the Rangers to waive Shesterkin. :D

titanic.gif

Reactions: Dog

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't recall if the CBA says anything about when you have to be waived, just that the buyout can't be processed until 48 hours after the conclusion of the finals. Capfriendly FAQ doesn't state it either. There wouldn't be any purpose in waiving him, just to waive him again, they may just want to execute the buyout as soon as possible since there's such a short period.

SPCs simply say:

The Club shall offer the Player on Unconditional Waivers, either before or promptly after the notice of intention to exercise the Ordinary Course Buy-Out option (herein called "notice of termination") is given.

There's no explicit CBA restriction of how far in advance of the buyout notice that Unconditional Waivers can be exercised.

Reactions: Marshall

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Goodrow 50% retained (1.8M) straight up for Sheary (2M)?

It's pretty much a cap neutral deal for both teams, NY gets out from the last year of the Goodrow deal while Tampa gets a known performer back for someone who doesn't fit the system. Saves NY from having a 6 year buyout on their hands either. Tampa could buy him out a year from now at a lower price.
Trade Jeannot for Goodrow 😃👆

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
SPCs simply say:

The Club shall offer the Player on Unconditional Waivers, either before or promptly after the notice of intention to exercise the Ordinary Course Buy-Out option (herein called "notice of termination") is given.

There's no explicit CBA restriction of how far in advance of the buyout notice that Unconditional Waivers can be exercised.
So there's nothing that says they can't waive him now for buyout purposes. Only that they can't actually do it yet.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Can you please explain why you are shocked that Goodrow got waived? Did you think those Rangers Fans are secretly the GM for New York?

Is that why you were shocked when Goodrow was waived, because surely some random rangers fans must be telling the truth since they can look into the future right?

It’s so cringe when people generalize an entire fanbase because of something said by one or two people. If anything, we should be shocked that you were so gullible to listen to some random rangers fans.
It’s because a large number of Ranger fans on this board died on the hill that Goodrow could be moved and potentially even for a minimal but positive asset. When you looked at the situation with his contract length and amount, bonuses to be paid, No trade conditions, it was obvious that the only way he would be able to be moved off the roster was via buyout. It was 100% pure uncut copium at its finest. Probably the same thing Canucks fans are ingesting when it comes to thinking Zadorsky or whoever will re-sign for league min because Vancouver is such a great city and they will take a massive discount to be there and win with the team.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Toronto for 1M for 1 year. Pencil him in on the 4th line, hope he's good enough for the 3rd.

Lines him up to hit the lottery a year from now.

Why would he hit the lottery after 1 year on the Leafs? He'd be 32 and I doubt teams would be queing up to give him money and term after being bought about by the Rangers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He likely comes out even. $10 mill in saslary and $1.25 in SB left. So, $6.7 mill in salary buyout, plus the $1.25 mill in SB, so $7.9 mill. Leaves him at roughly $1 - $1.1 mill per season to come out even.

Or he's a $1.8 mill cap hit if retained.

15 team NTC list. For what it takes to get back to "even" money wise, probably can achieve that via a buyout. He won't get claimed. Could he be moved? Yes, if he's flexible on it. With retention, then yes, can be moved.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
If they buy him out, that gives the Rangers a bit over $13 million in cap space, which begs the next question. Who are they after on July 1st?

Reactions: periferal

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Could absolutely see the Leafs claiming him and then trading Jarnkrok. Basically trading skill for grit on their third line
You do not want Goodrow on the third line. You barely want him on the fourth line.

Reactions: luiginb

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Question for Rangers fans if Goodrow clears, what would you be willing to pay to the Sharks to trade for Goodrow and his contract? Something around Goodrow and a 2nd for FC from the Sharks?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If this is a buyout move, I'd be all over signing Goodrow to a low cap hit for his playoff play alone.

I wonder if they could trade him at 50%. I'm sure there would be takers at that, if they had the appetite to retain on this particular deal.
retain 1.6-ish down to 2.0 cap hit + a 6th for a 4th
like that

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
am i reading this right? if he gets bought out, the cap hit for him is actually higher next year then if he was on the roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad