PTO: [NYR] F Adam Erne, D Madison Bowey + 15 others sign PTOs with the Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
As I recall he is/was actually fairly skilled offensively, but he couldn't defend, like at all, and tended to panic. Perhaps he's cleaned up his game.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Another player getting absolutely screwed by the AHL veteran rules.

Where every year now, he’s gonna have to play this PTO game, just to get camp time, waiting for rosters to settle, before he gets signed to an AHL deal somewhere, or possibly a two-way deal, by a team who had one of their kids graduate to the NHL. As a Dman, he’ll have a spot to play every year for another 5 years, but he’s gonna have to play this waiting game every September. He’s reaching the point now, it might be better off money wise, to take a nice 2-3 year European vacation as well. Although, he can probably make a nice chunk of change in the KHL for the next couple of years as well.

Reactions: JKG33

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He’s reaching the point now, it might be better off money wise, to take a nice 2-3 year European vacation ... he can probably make a nice chunk of change in the KHL for the next couple of years as well.
could not disagree more
AHL vet rule is valuable as long as league's primary purpose is development of emerging players to NHL
No strong reason for AHL to fill up their rosters with more marginal AAAA veterans beyond the handful every AHL team is allowed

IF, at some point, player prefers the money and alternative of playing in Europe,
then he'll follow the dozens every year who extend their playing careers in those leagues

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Kind of odd considering how stacked the Rangers RD position is but I guess it makes sense to create competition and let the vets not play as much and he could just be a filler for them, and who knows maybe he gets a contract from another team if he plays well enough.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Completely lost track of this guy after he went to Detroit. I was convinced he and Carrick would be right side staples for the Caps back 8-10 years ago :laugh:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Where every year now, he’s gonna have to play this PTO game, just to get camp time, waiting for rosters to settle, before he gets signed to an AHL deal somewhere, or possibly a two-way deal, by a team who had one of their kids graduate to the NHL. As a Dman, he’ll have a spot to play every year for another 5 years, but he’s gonna have to play this waiting game every September. He’s reaching the point now, it might be better off money wise, to take a nice 2-3 year European vacation as well. Although, he can probably make a nice chunk of change in the KHL for the next couple of years as well.
I couldn't have said it better. Although he did just have a season where he played on 3 different KHL teams. Probably not looking to do that again.

There's no reason he shouldn't be a team's #8 D man. Not a guy you want to rely on, but a good enough stop gap when injuries pile up and you don't want to trust a rookie

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Bowey was pretty good in old NHL games. That's basically why I remember his name. Seems he hasn't done as well as in my games reaching 92+ overall. :huh:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
could not disagree more
AHL vet rule is valuable as long as league's primary purpose is development of emerging players to NHL
No strong reason for AHL to fill up their rosters with more marginal AAAA veterans beyond the handful every AHL team is allowed

IF, at some point, player prefers the money and alternative of playing in Europe,
then he'll follow the dozens every year who extend their playing careers in those leagues
I’m not so sure you’re even disagreeing with me. Your point is just, you’re good with it, as long as it keeps the AHL “the” feeder league, correct??

My major point being, AHL vets, or fringe NHL players, are getting screwed over in North America. It’s hard to argue that point. It’s happening more and more every year, with how many Americans we now have playing pro hockey.

Remember, there’s only so many spots for North Americans in European Leagues as well. While we have nothing protecting North American players in our professional leagues, like Europe does.

You’re just in favor of the rules, that keep it “the” feeder league.. I think those are two very different things.

I know the NHLPA is worried about it as well, and it will be brought up in the next CBA. Especially with so many NHL teams now owning their AHL team.

Call me partial because of my own situation in the early 90s, but I remember how fun the IHL and AHL were back in the day. The days of the Long Beach Ice Dogs, Detroit Vipers, Oklahoma City, etc, etc. Very few AHL teams bring that type of excitement anymore, when you know teams aren’t exactly playing to win. Just look at the entire argument between the Chicago Wolves and Carolina.

I think there’s a happy compromise. Open it up to 2 more vets on each team, but they have to be 24-27 and have to be North Americans. That’s 64 pro hockey jobs for North Americans. That’s Grimaldi, Czarnik, Bowey, etc, getting to stay in North America, and not have to worry about a job every June. Those older guys would take the current exemptions and younger guys can have these new exemptions.

I’m looking at it 100% from a North American player’s perspective.

If we go over every AHL roster, I guarantee you we find at least 2 players, who should probably still be in Europe, or playing in the ECHL. Very rarely do you have a team like Grand Rapids this season, with so many young ELC players, who will likely be their best players as well.

I’m not sure it hurts the commitment to being “the” feeder league, at all.

Look, believe me, I get the reasoning behind it. I just think they chose the wrong exemption numbers. Doesn’t mean it’s not screwing guys like Grimaldi every year though..

I think it’s time to revisit the number at least. Especially with how many more American Pro Hockey players we have now, and how many of these vets, are the players actually selling the tickets every night.

Reactions: flychairman

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Maxim Barbashev
Brett Budgell
Jonny Evans
Blade Jenkins
Blake McLaughlin
Nate Sucese
Carter Berger
Blake Hillman
Case McCarthy
Jake Murray
Chase Pauls
Ryan Siedem
Noah Van Vliet

Barbashev is on an AHL deal already. Not a PTO. Rangers want to see him develop before signing him to ELC.

He’s the worst defenceman I’ve ever seen. I’m not even joking.

I guess you missed the days of Dale Purinton, Peter Popovic and Dave Karpa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad