McKenzie: Nyquist has waived NTC for San Jose, SJ/DET finalizing trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's not going to cost San Jose a lot.

How many rentals have a full no trade clause?

If Detroit gets a 2nd+, they should consider it a good return given the situation. Wouldn't surprise me if it's less or if there are some conditional elements based on Nyquist re-signing but the initial picks are low. Maybe a 2020 3rd that becomes a 2nd if he re-signs and a B or C prospect.

Why exactly would the Wings do this?Holland isn't trading Nyquist for a 3rd lol.

aircobra

May 4, 2013
Their first this year is tied to a condition with Ottawa in the Karlsson trade. If they make the playoffs (foregone conclusion at this point) they keep their 2019 first and give Ottawa their 2020 first. Still though, I don't think they can trade this year's first because of the condition attached to the Karlsson trade.

Buffalo has their 2019 first round pick. The 2020 pick is the one that is attached to the EK65 trade.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why exactly would the Wings do this?Holland isn't trading Nyquist for a 3rd lol.

Skinner went for a 2nd a Cliff Pu earlier in the season on the basis of his NTC severely limiting the market.

There were considerably less options on the market at that time as well.

Dzingel went for two futures 2nds (one not until 2021) and arguably a throw in player. (Issues with multiple teams, not qualified last season, was just thrown under the bus by Tortorella)

Zuccarello went for a 2nd+3rd, with the 2nd having potential to become a 1st only if DAL wins two rounds of hockey. (There was a condition attached to the 3rd, but odds are DAL is looking at it as a rental, that's a superficial condition that will never transfer)

I'm predicting a 2nd and a small plus, or a 3rd (that can become a 2nd) and a small plus. Looking at the returns above, considering neither of those players had full NTCs, while also taking into account the sheer quantity of players still possibly available, I don't think that's outlandish.

Maybe Detroit keeps him, but if a rebuilding team can get a 2nd or 3rd with a + for a player with a full NTC who is walking, why would they not do that?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Skinner went for a 2nd a Cliff Pu earlier in the season on the basis of his NTC severely limiting the market.

There were considerably less options on the market at that time as well.

Dzingel went for two futures 2nds (one not until 2021) and arguably a throw in player. (Issues with multiple teams, not qualified last season, was just thrown under the bus by Tortorella)

Zuccarello went for a 2nd+3rd, with the 2nd having potential to become a 1st only if DAL wins two rounds of hockey. (There was a condition attached to the 3rd, but odds are DAL is looking at it as a rental, that's a superficial condition that will never transfer)

I'm predicting a 2nd and a small plus, or a 3rd (that can become a 2nd) and a small plus. Looking at the returns above, considering neither of those players had full NTCs, while also taking into account the sheer quantity of players still possibly available, I don't think that's outlandish.

Maybe Detroit keeps him, but if a rebuilding team can get a 2nd or 3rd with a + for a player with a full NTC who is walking, why would they not do that?

Holland isn't an idiot, he knows what Nyquist is worth. As you said, Dzingel just returned TWO 2nds, so how exactly would Holland not get at minimum a 2nd and then some?

If all the Sharks are offering is a 3rd, Holland hangs up the phone and tells them to call back with a real offer.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Holland isn't an idiot, he knows what Nyquist is worth. As you said, Dzingel just returned TWO 2nds, so how exactly would Holland not get at minimum a 2nd and then some?

Nyquist has a full no trade clause. This is going to limit the opportunity for Detroit to get a market value return.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Nyquist has a full no trade clause. This is going to limit the opportunity for Detroit to get a market value return.

I doubt it. We'll see tomorrow. He's not getting traded for a 3rd, I'll guarantee it. Either he gets dealt for a similar package to Zuccarello/Dzingel, or Holland hangs onto him and resigns him.

For the record, I want him traded, but not for a 3rd. Holland knows he can do much better than this tomorrow.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's push meets shove, though. SJ clearly wants to add to keep up with Columbus and the other teams. To do that, they're going to have to pay. So Detroit won't get their initial demand, sure, but SJ won't get pennies on the dollar, either.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
It's push meets shove, though. SJ clearly wants to add to keep up with Columbus and the other teams. To do that, they're going to have to pay. So Detroit won't get their initial demand, sure, but SJ won't get pennies on the dollar, either.

Don't think Wilson is terribly concerned about Columbus. They could pick up Stone, and I think we (or any other west contender) would be thrilled to be in the SCF against a non-Tampa team.

I expect Wilson will get a 2nd/3rd liner for a 2nd and a prospect (or two seconds). Most likely prospects are Roy, Gambrell, Wood, Gregor, or Blichfeld, in my opinion.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

I understand you overall point, but San Jose does not need to keep up with Columbus. different conferences'd

Reactions: Gecklund

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Why does this affect what they get for him. A NTC only affects the Wings as far as if and where they can trade him. The acquiring team isn't affected at all, so will pay the exact same price, as the minute Nyquist waives his NTC, it is gone, doesn't affect his new team at all.

As others have said, if all we get is a 3rd, than come 3pm tomorrow he will still be a Wing.

Reactions: Adityase
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad