Proposal: Nylander+ lilegren+ 2019 1st for ekblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Do you watch the games or just check the advanced stats sites on the internet?

I watch the Leafs as well as other teams.

Never in my 35 years of hockey have I ever seen a top 5 GA team get the most criticism for being the most defensively inept.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Smoke and mirrors. The simple answer to your question is yes, the Leafs need an upgrade at D.

I would say it slightly differently:

Leafs don’t “have to” upgrade their defence, but it would be very desirable to do so. If anything happened to Andersen (hurt or his play falls) who has been the Leafs MVP for the last 2.5 years and they needed to depend on just an average goalie they would be in trouble. Leafs depend heavily on Andersen for their success which is fine, as long as he can stay healthy, maintain his play and doesn’t get wore down during the playoffs.

As the Leafs are currently constructed their a very good team and without doubt a top 5 cup favourite. With a defence upgrade they instantly become the top cup contender IMO. Being the top cup contender doesn’t guarantee anyone anything, but it does incrementally improve your odds of winning.

Reactions: firstemperor

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Leafs fans are so funny, they have a great opportunity to be a contender this year with Matthews/Marner on ELCs and a hot goalie, but they totally refuse to consider any kind of trade to acquire a quality D-man if they have to give up an asset like Nylander or some young player/prospect to get. You're going to have to give up something guys.

Let's hope for your sake your management isn't this tight and has more of a 'let's win' attitude. Not that I want to see a Leafs cup, but you really have a strong shot this year but another strong piece on D added would be really helpful.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
after July 1st, nylander will be owed $4.9 million per year for 5 more years. Florida does not spend to the cap so his cap hit is irrelevant. Add a very good prospect and a first and it is a pretty substantial offer.
Florida has been spinning their wheels for years. Is this a deal they consider?

I don't see how this deal makes Florida better and I'm pretty sure the would be a key consideration for them if they were to make a trade.

The value favours the Panthers, but losing Ekblad definitely hurts Florida more than adding those assets help them. There's no reason for the Panthers to consider doing this to their core.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Do the Leafs really need to add a top 4 D? They are 5th in GA. Tampa is 14th.

Playoffs are a different beast, your weak spots will be very well scouted and teams come in with well practiced attack schemes to exploit them. You need to have rock solid players all through your lineup to go deep.

The Leafs had a pretty good GA last year too (#10) and the rise to #5 this year is mostly on the back of Andersen who raised his save % from .914 to .923. yet last year even with that decent regular season GA they gave up 28 goals in 7 games against the Bruins in the playoff series.

Reactions: Tripod and Snowman

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
"Smoke and mirrors" for 120 games I guess.
Lol...120 games minus the playoffs...tell me, is Hainsey an NHL top pairing D in 2019? Tell me, how did our defense do last year in the playoffs? Tell me, how did our defense do 2 years ago in the playoffs?

If you think our defense has a shot at competing for the cup, then i don't know what to tell you.

I am a huge Leafs fan, but let's be real here....our D is not physical enough to compete in a 7 game series. All the opponent has to do is dump the puck in on the right side. Name another cup contender with a RHD core as bad as Hainsey/Zaitsev/Oz.

Reactions: Tripod and Snowman

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Lol...120 games minus the playoffs...tell me, is Hainsey an NHL top pairing D in 2019? Tell me, how did our defense do last year in the playoffs? Tell me, how did our defense do 2 years ago in the playoffs?

If you think our defense has a shot at competing for the cup, then i don't know what to tell you.

I am a huge Leafs fan, but let's be real here....our D is not physical enough to compete in a 7 game series. All the opponent has to do is dump the puck in on the right side. Name another cup contender with a RHD core as bad as Hainsey/Zaitsev/Oz.
You keep blaiming the D on the playoff los
OK, in that case, Marner is not close to Gaudreau, would you agree?
s. I saw a different series.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Playoffs are a different beast, your weak spots will be very well scouted and teams come in with well practiced attack schemes to exploit them. You need to have rock solid players all through your lineup to go deep.

The Leafs had a pretty good GA last year too (#10) and the rise to #5 this year is mostly on the back of Andersen who raised his save % from .914 to .923. yet last year even with that decent regular season GA they gave up 28 goals in 7 games against the Bruins in the playoff series.

You forgot to mention Andersen had a .896 save % in the 7 games.

Reactions: Menzinger

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You forgot to mention Andersen had a .896 save % in the 7 games.

I think we have to ask “why did the Leafs MVP” play drop at that point suddenly? Exhausted? Overplayed? Suddenly become a bad goalie for 7 game window?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs fans are so funny, they have a great opportunity to be a contender this year with Matthews/Marner on ELCs and a hot goalie, but they totally refuse to consider any kind of trade to acquire a quality D-man if they have to give up an asset like Nylander or some young player/prospect to get. You're going to have to give up something guys.

Let's hope for your sake your management isn't this tight and has more of a 'let's win' attitude. Not that I want to see a Leafs cup, but you really have a strong shot this year but another strong piece on D added would be really helpful.
Hamonic-1st+2nd+2nd
Hamilton- 1st+2nd+2nd
Phaneuf- (TOR/Ott)a bag of cap dumps (OTT/LA) cap dump+meh
Karlsson- 1st+2nd+Tierny+a bunch of meh
McDonagh (with Miller)- 1st+2nd+Namestnikov+Howden
Vatanen -Henrique+Blandisi+3rd
Cole-Nick Moutry (Who??)+20203rd
Holden-Rob O'Gara (Who??)+3rd

You see any Nylander+ deals there? You see any Marner level guys there? This site has recently told us (Leafs fans) that Kapanen+Sandin is not enough for Petry (who, by the way, Montreal acquired in 2015 for a massive price of 2nd+cond 5th). That Marner would be the "starting point" for Petro. So tell me why the Leafs can't use a 1st+2nd+2nd/prospect to land a guy like Tanev? Tell me Gudas would cost a ton. tell me Edler costs Nylander.

This bullshit that "Leafs fans refuse to trade for D" is a myth...what we don't understand is why other teams can make trades like the ones i listed...yet Toronto has to go full Larsson for Hall.

Reactions: Morgs and 4thline

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You forgot to mention Rask was the same...but Andersen faced way more ****ing shots. Seems Boston's D helped out their goalie...ever wonder what the result would be without the -49 shot differential?

Rask was better.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Leafs were huge under dogs in the last 2 series they were in and almost won the last one taking Boston to 7 while missing one of their top 6 C for 3 games and Matthews playing like shit.

I wouldnt draw a conclusion based on previous playoffs, leafs were/are a young team and they have added a veteran #1C which I think will help a lot.

Would I like the leafs to upgrade their defense, of course. However, I wouldnt break the bank for it and I think the current defense can win playoffs series as the forwards are so stacked

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You forgot to mention Rask was the same...but Andersen faced way more ****ing shots. Seems Boston's D helped out their goalie...ever wonder what the result would be without the -49 shot differential?

Some give Andersen WAY too little credit, I’ve said many times (my post history to prove it) that the Leafs best player over the last 2.5 years isn’t Rielly or AM......it’s been Andersen.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Was that an ES shot differential? Just curious as I know Boston had way way more PP time somehow. One of the games was like 6 PP to 1 for Boston so I would expect them to have way more shots

That being said the leafs team defense was worse than their actually defenders. Forwards not covering pinches, cheating to the neutral zone instead of trying to dig out the puck in their own zone etc.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Was that an ES shot differential? Just curious as I know Boston had way way more PP time somehow. One of the games was like 6 PP to 1 for Boston so I would expect them to have way more shots

That being said the leafs team defense was worse than their actually defenders. Forwards not covering pinches, cheating to the neutral zone instead of trying to dig out the puck in their own zone etc.
When teams are dominating you in your own end...you tend to take penalties.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
When teams are dominating you in your own end...you tend to take penalties.
Well that is true that doesn't account for the massive disparity in PPs. Uncountable the amount of non calls for boarding, elbowing, hitting from behind etc etc.

Also I'm guessing it was total shot differential at which case that isnt even as bad as I thought it would be.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Leafs were huge under dogs in the last 2 series they were in and almost won the last one taking Boston to 7 while missing one of their top 6 C for 3 games and Matthews playing like ****.

I wouldnt draw a conclusion based on previous playoffs, leafs were a young team and they have added a veteran #1C which I think will help a lot.

Would I like the leafs to upgrade their defense, of course. However, I wouldnt break the bank for it and I think the current defense can win playoffs series as the forwards are so stacked

I don’t think anyone is suggesting going out to get DD or anything......but let’s be honest the RHD is......weak (being polite). Add one true top 4 RHD play him on the top pairing and bump everyone down one pairing. Decide where Hainsey or Z play on 2nd or 3rd pairing. Might even rotate them to keep old man Hainsey fresher for the playoffs and give him some 3rd pairing mins during the season.

Leafs have the assets to get a top 4 guy, the bigger problem is finding someone willing to part with one.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I 100% the Leafs will add a Dman between now and the deadline. It's what most contenders try to do.

Dubas gathered a lot of picks early on for this exact reason....to have bullets in the gun to use when needed. Personally, I DO think this year is the perfect time for it. Doing it before the raises of 3 young great players just makes sense.

Cap space itself is an asset. And this year they have it without worry. Going forward, it gets trickier. So take the shot.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well that is true that doesn't account for the massive disparity in PPs. Uncountable the amount of non calls for boarding, elbowing, hitting from behind etc etc.

Also I'm guessing it was total shot differential at which case that isnt even as bad as I thought it would be.
The crazy thing is, all 3 of our wins in that series came in games we were outshot...2 of them being badly outshot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad