Nylander Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
The vitriol thrown at Kessel probably a classic example of that attitude

We threw it at Kessel for the same reason we’re throwing it at these kids, they can be SOOO much better. Kessel was supposed to be the American Crosby you know? Too many hot dogs and a lax attitude later and you’re playing third fiddle to Crosby who later asks you to kindly leave his Stanley Cup winning team.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
90s hockey was great! It’s changed though, speed and skill trump all these days.

A team of dale hunters would get slaughtered regularly in this new NHL
doubt it, yes the sport has evolved, but it wouldn't be far off.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Id suggest thats how a fairly sizeable portion of the fanbase always views the team. Hence why the most skilled guys tend to always get the bulk of criticisms no matter ehich era of the Leafs we talk about.

The vitriol thrown at Kessel probably a classic example of that attitude
imo, the players that make the big bucks rightly get the bulk of the criticism, heavy lies the crown............

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Kessel was the lone star on a bad team. And also the Bruins got extremely lucky with the picks they received which could have just as easily been absolutely nothing, and the fans took it out on Kessel. It really has nothing to do with this band of underachievers. Kessel, if anything, was an overachiever. PPG with Bozak and JVR in a lower scoring era. Impressive by any standard.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Kessel was the lone star on a bad team. And also the Bruins got extremely luck with the picks they received which could have just as easily been absolutely nothing, and the fans took it out on Kessel. It really has nothing to do with this band of underachievers. Kessel, if anything, was an overachiever.

Luckily they kind of did get nothing out of it so they can’t throw that in our faces for all of eternity like the Rask trade. But ya, Hamilton should’ve never fell to them, and one pick later you miss Seguin/Hall for a complete flop.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Luckily they kind of did get nothing out of it so they can’t throw that in our faces for all of eternity like the Rask trade. But ya, Hamilton should’ve never fell to them, and one pick later you miss Seguin/Hall for a complete flop.
I wanted to trade Willy for Hamilton (instead of Pesce) last year and got laughed at on here. Who is laughing now?

Reactions: ToneDog

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I wanted to trade Willy for Hamilton (instead of Pesce) last year and got laughed at on here. Who is laughing now?

I still don’t know if that would be a good trade for us. We really need that specific RHD we really specifically need on RHD. Dougie is close, but not the one imo.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Am I missing something?

What's happened recently to make people turn on Nylander?

Like... nothings changed. He's ALWAYS been this player. He's lazy, soft, and lacks heart. He always has been. I've been SCREAMING it all along. The guy used Draisaitl and Pastrnak as his comparables... and look how many people here DEFENDED that stance. With nonsense like "zone entries" and other bullshit.

This is the 4th year of this.

So why are people only just now figuring it out?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I still don’t know if that would be a good trade for us. We really need that specific RHD we really specifically need on RHD. Dougie is close, but not the one imo.
The Hamilton bashing on hfBoards is just way overboard. He's a valuable player.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
With our Leafs, there is no such thing as a wake up call, period. If there was, that 1st Habs game should have been it. Not only was it not, they also slept through the 2nd Habs game, and many other games too!
I mean even the Sleeping Beauty woke up. There must be something out there! I still have hope!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Hamilton bashing on hfBoards is just way overboard. He's a valuable player.

Hes definitely a great player. But id wager most of the people who arent fans of Nylander will quickly shift their disdain to him. While.i think its nonsense, he does have a reputation amongst the different fanbases ofnthe teams hes played for

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Drouin is the guy who I always considered Nylanders real comp, not the ludicrous Pasternak comparsions. And lo and behold.

Drouin 14gp 7g 5a 12pts

He's been better than Nylander.
only because he's been putting in a real effort so far this year, but he is who he is and the lackadaisical play and not hustling on the back check, avoiding contact will come back into his game soon enough, so yeah very much Willie

Reactions: socko

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
He sucked tonight. If he should be benched for it, so should half the team.

As usual, he's just the convenient scapegoat for some people.

Dunno. At what point then can we question? On pace for 49 points a and 16 goals and he does sweet F all otherwise. He clearly hasn't come back from his terrible season last year when he at least had a good excuse.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
But he only has 2 penalties all year :laugh:

On topic, that was Willy worst game of the year...... It's a bit funny, cause we actually have a Willy sux, Marner sux, and Matthews sux threads active. I made a joke about it last week and now it's true.
As Moron Man says, "you cannot out -talent the opponent in hockey! You need toughness and determination! Good Canadian kids who know what it is like to struggle to achieve!" That is to say, the team that sits in the penalty box and gives the other team more power plays wins.

Sadly, that ancient dinosaur way of thinking is widely held in traditional hockey markets.

New ways, like analytics, skills, good scouting, getting European players to play here are all treated with suspicion.

The dinosaurs heads explode when in the salary cap era you pay players today for what they will be in the future, and not for cups won a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. But there is this fondness for memories and thinking of what that guy would look like in a Leafs jersey, and he wanted no part of the media circus of Toronto when he first became a free agent, but now that he is looking at the end of pay checks, Toronto looks like a great destination, and Leafs Nation continues to embrace this Moron Man school of thought.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Be an absolute crazy divisional trade...but what would people think of a deal involving Nylander and Brady Tkachuk? Ottawa in all likelyhood would want more in that deal however. Id personally even throw in a Liljegren or a Bracco to make it happen. Tkachuk would be a tremendous power forward with skill for Matthews and they're buddies as well (Matty and the Tkachuk family). Sens get a couple young skill pieces towards their rebuild. Pipe dream but I'd like the fit. We've shown in the past we can pull off big trades with them.

Nylander & Bracco/Lily for Tkachuk

Tkachuk-Matthews-Mikheyev
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Timashov/Spezza

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What we need to find out is if we need this kind of player for 7M? There will have to be changes to this team at some point because they are not a contender as built or as coached.

Yeah I totally agree with that. I’d love to see this entire team under a new coach as I’m not convinced Babcock has or will adapt to the modern game, I also know that may be an unreasonable and trades will happen first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad