Nylander contract talk VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Nylander is taking a huge L the more he waits... that PP unit is just evidence enough.

Although, I highly doubt Babcock will actually use all 3 of his centers on the first PP unit, that sounds kinda dumb tbh. Might make more sense to take off Matthews, put in Leivo, and then put matthews with nylander and marleau on the 2nd unit.

Neutering the 1st unit by taking Matthews off it isn't the answer IMO.

Take Kadri off it. I know they did well last season, but still. I want our most dangerous player getting top PP minutes, not the last 25 seconds once we've lost possession like he did last season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
it may have something to do with him holding out, but wtf do I know

A guy that turns away from contact and doesn't up his intensity level in the PO has no legs to stand on in a negotiation like this.

If he battled and poured his heart out with passion like Marner did, people would be on his side.

Reactions: dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Which would you rather have?
I've actually been saying the same thing. In the end, I'm fine with both routes. But there's absolutely some merit to what you say. We are very fond of talking about building a team that can challenge for a long, long time going forward through a smart process. Eliminating the risk for awful late contracts while still retaining talent should be part of that. I honestly think that your scenario with the 32 year old Willy might be a bit pessimistic even. Best case scenario is Joe Thornton, having him sign subsequent deals with decent money but short term.

Reactions: Menzinger and dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
By the way, do we know to what extent his father is involved in this? I am well aware of both Michael's reputation and his history of involvement with the kids, but my impressions prior to the last month was that he wasn't at all as involved anymore, at least not with Willy. I've seen a lot of talk about it, but it all seem to be just supposition.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
By the way, do we know to what extent his father is involved in this? I am well aware of both Michael's reputation and his history of involvement with the kids, but my impressions prior to the last month was that he wasn't at all as involved anymore, at least not with Willy. I've seen a lot of talk about it, but it all seem to be just supposition.
He's not going to make it known if he is.

I really don't think he's interested in the abuse he'd get from rabid Leafs fans on social media if he made it known that he's encouraging Willy to get as much money as he can from the Leafs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Maybe his father should be involved. Get him playing closer to the edge and doing what it takes to win. I would be proud of my boy until he did a double flamingo and repeatedly avoided 50/50 battles in the corner to ensure self during a PO series.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's not going to make it known if he is.

I really don't think he's interested in the abuse he'd get from rabid Leafs fans on social media if he made it known that he's encouraging Willy to get as much money as he can from the Leafs.
Yeah, I mostly meant that it hasn't really been reported anywhere. There's starting to leak out quite a bit of information about the negotiating process at this point, but none of it actually mentions his father.

His involvement at other times with his kids have been very well-established, in comparison.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Because there are a number of players that need to be signed next year. One might argue a few of them are extremely important.

either way I think Nylander will eventually end up being the odd man out, and he'll be easier to move at 6.3 to 6.5 unless of course he puts up a 35/45 season, then again if one of the young Dmen looks like he can really play and take Gardiners spot they'll be ok cap wise as it is they lose Hainsey's 3m and still have Horton's 5.3m at the teams disposal

Dubas LOVES Rasmus Sandin, thinks he is a top pairing guy.

I saw him play last year with the Soo, you could see he had good wheels and hands for sure, but the guy I saw here the other night was on a whole new level

A guy that turns away from contact and doesn't up his intensity level in the PO has no legs to stand on in a negotiation like this.

If he battled and poured his heart out with passion like Marner did, people would be on his side.

exactly

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This mudslinging is pathetic for Nylander doing what is pretty standard for every high end RFA to negotiate his contract.

I'm ashamed that some of our fans treat our good players like this. You're the reason people make fun of Leafs fans.
he's not the reason people make fun of leaf fans at all. quite the opposite actually.

it's the obnoxious, arrogant, condescending, delusional leaf homers that make people make fun of the leafs.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I talked about this months back when the stacked powerplay was brought up. Nylander should be on it and no one should expect him to be remotely happy about it if he's not. That said, the difference now though is that I fully expected he'd be signed when this issue came up. The fact he's not makes things even more complicated.
If he is holding out in any way in regards to playing on the 2nd PP unit that raises HUGE red flags to me. So I doubt thats the case

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Maybe he's seen and heard the term "The Big Three" too often and it's caused "The Big Head". He is not one of the Big Three in my book. In the playoffs he played like one of "The Three Little Pigs", one of the two that built his house with straw or sticks and the wolf blew it down and devoured him. Or maybe Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Bruins!) would be a more appropriate. Bridge Goldilocks and keep an eye out for a RD trade partner in the meantime, if he doesn't compete harder.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Maybe he's seen and heard the term "The Big Three" too often and it's caused "The Big Head". He is not one of the Big Three in my book. In the playoffs he played like one of "The Three Little Pigs", one of the two that built his house with straw or sticks and the wolf blew it down and devoured him. Or maybe Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Bruins!) would be a more appropriate. Bridge Goldilocks and keep an eye out for a RD trade partner in the meantime, if he doesn't compete harder.

Oh man the posts are getting worse by the day. This is the new worst in thread congratulations

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yeah, I mostly meant that it hasn't really been reported anywhere. There's starting to leak out quite a bit of information about the negotiating process at this point, but none of it actually mentions his father.

His involvement at other times with his kids have been very well-established, in comparison.

The last I heard from a guy that's very very little in the know, is that the closest they've been he went in and shut the shit down. That was over a week ago (maybe 2?) now though, and I've heard nothing from him since.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Oh man the posts are getting worse by the day. This is the new worst in thread congratulations
He may be over the top in his presentation but the way he is describing Nylander's play against Boston in the playoffs is correct.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Over the top is an understatement, he’s hysterical

Not to mention, do we really want to let 3-4 subpar games play a major variable in a multi year contract?

If we want to talk about the Bruins series, only really Marleau and Marner of the entire team played well for most games. Everyone else - including Matthews and Andersen - ranged from horrible to decent depending on the game/shift.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
hey willy lets flip a coin to see if you sign the contract in 2 days

Head: I win
Tails: you lose

...........flip the coin................

cItcKIj.gif

Reactions: MyBudJT
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
He may be over the top in his presentation but the way he is describing Nylander's play against Boston in the playoffs is correct.

Well first of all, what he said was practically stream of consciousness nonsense. Secondly anyone who takes one playoff series, essentially a seven game stretch and extrapolates it about the character and ability of a specific player is silly.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Probably 7.5 x 8 (60) is what he'd settle for, not sure the Leafs are going to meet that though.

I don't think they are offering that long a deal. And if they are it's max 6.5 IMO.

Bill Nye is getting bridged.

Or maybe .... just maybe ... Dubas is trying to sign all 3 ! (probably not).

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I saw him play last year with the Soo, you could see he had good wheels and hands for sure, but the guy I saw here the other night was on a whole new level
I loved his play too. I do believe however that him and lil were somewhat sheltered to give the guys competing for spots a looksee against tough competition.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
I'm starting to think trading Nylander might be for the best. His camp appears to be too greedy for my liking.
Speculation.

I find this thread ridiculous.

EVERYTHING is speculation. Everything.

What a waste of time 90% of this is.
Indeed.

Nylander is getting a bridge deal 5 x 3.

You need to shore up Matthews and Marner first plain and simple. Willy's payday will have to wait.

Reactions: dsred

Blokequebecois

Sep 20, 2018
And every reason to believe the situation will resolve as positively as it has with the rest of Nylander's agent's clients.

Each player remained with their club and signed long-term contracts that didn't undervalue the player and didn't hamstring the club from making further important signings.
You may be right but I did a quick, back-of-the-envelope calculation - I am sure any number of you will tell me why I am wrong, but next year the Leafs will have $30M in cap space for Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Nylander, Josh Leivo, Ron Hainsey, a back-up goalie and Jake Gardiner. Suppose they replace Johnsson, Josh Leivo, Ron Hainsey, a back-up goalie and Jake Gardiner with spare pieces for about $1M each or a total of $5M. Then you figure Matthews and Marner get $20M between them, which is probably on the low side. That means only $5M for Kapanen and Nylander. If that analysis is right, the Leafs may not have room for a long-term deal for Nylander.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe Nylander will sign after the Buffalo home and home. Gives him some practice time and at least 2 preseason games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad