Nylander contract talk VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Bridges are mathematically provable to be bad.

Unless you expect the player to not get any better/get worse, you are always costing yourself money by signing a player to a bridge deal.

Well of course... AAVs after a bridge will likely be higher than whether there was no bridge to begin with...

However, in the long run, it CAN still be beneficial...

IE:
22YO signs a 2 year bridge at 5AAV... 2 years later, he signs an 8 yr contract at 9 mil AAV. This brings him to 32 years old. He isn't going to demand another 8 year contract necessarily, and its quite possible that they don't even get a raise either... a contract like 6 years at 8.5 mil AAV is possible..

OR

22YO signs an 8 year contract at 7 mil AAV. This brings him to UFA at 30 years old... He may very well demand another 8 years at a premium... 8 years at 10 AAV...

Option 1: 16 Years and gets 133 mil
Option 2: 16 years and gets 136 mil

Which would you rather have?

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Bridges are mathematically provable to be bad.

Unless you expect the player to not get any better/get worse, you are always costing yourself money by signing a player to a bridge deal.
The leafs have a lot of great players and they have a crunch next year. The mantra doesn't hold true when you are at the ceiling in the short run

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I wouldn't sign either if I was told I was going to be on the 2nd PP unit with the most relevant other player being Gardiner.

Pretty big joke leaving him off the unit in favour of Kadri.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I wouldn't sign either if I was told I was going to be on the 2nd PP unit with the most relevant other player being Gardiner.

I talked about this months back when the stacked powerplay was brought up. Nylander should be on it and no one should expect him to be remotely happy about it if he's not. That said, the difference now though is that I fully expected he'd be signed when this issue came up. The fact he's not makes things even more complicated.

Reactions: Morgs

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Kadri is money on his role on the pp. He definately deserves to be there. We should either play willy on the top power play and let marner absolutely run the 2nd power play. Or have a willy+mitch duo for the 2nd power play and give them 3 shooters. Both these two have good to great shots so they are dual threats.

Tavares
Marleau kadri Matthews
Rielly

Leivo
Nylander Johnsson Marner
Gardiner

Is what I would like to see us try

Reactions: bansheebeat

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't think Kadri should be on the 1st unit either. I don't have an issue with Nylander and Kadri on the second unit with Gardiner, Johnson and Leivo or Brown in front of the net.

Personally the first unit should be Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Reilly and Marleau. Not Kadri.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kadri is money on his role on the pp. He definately deserves to be there. We should either play willy on the top power play and let marner absolutely run the 2nd power play. Or have a willy+mitch duo for the 2nd power play and give them 3 shooters. Both these two have good to great shots so they are dual threats.

Tavares
Marleau kadri Matthews
Rielly

Leivo
Nylander Johnsson Marner
Gardiner

Is what I would like to see us try

Marner plays the same spot on the PP as Matthews, and he's incredibly effective at it.

The secret is moving Matthews into Kadri's spot as the "trigger man" and 2nd guy in front of the net with Tavares. Have Marner, Nylander and Rielly run the PP from the outside.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner plays the same spot on the PP as Matthews, and he's incredibly effective at it.

The secret is moving Matthews into Kadri's spot as the "trigger man" and 2nd guy in front of the net with Tavares. Have Marner, Nylander and Rielly run the PP from the outside.

The issue is that all 3 of those guys like to pass the puck a bit to much and don't look for shots often enough. Rielly is a great passer on the pp but I dont know if that combo works well. Gardiner has a better shot and could may be be a better fit if we run the pp as you described.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The issue is that all 3 of those guys like to pass the puck a bit to much and don't look for shots often enough. Rielly is a great passer on the pp but I dont know if that combo works well. Gardiner has a better shot and could may be be a better fit if we run the pp as you described.

Nylander shoots a lot. Marner/Rielly will shoot, but are better at finding guys wide open for shots.

Not many guys better than Matthews/Tavares at getting HD chances.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Kadri is a fantastic goal scorer.. This line does not need another playmaker

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
With all the talent we have up front, and with Nylander not in camp yet, it should come as no surprise that he's not pencilled into the 1st power play unit.

Reactions: supermann_98

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kadri is a fantastic goal scorer.. This line does not need another playmaker

You're not including Matthews moving to the trigger spot though. Matthews should be there because he has by far the best shot on the team, and it's not due to a one-timer like other goal scoring half-wall guys (Ovie, Stamkos, etc). He's perfect because of his quick release and unreal accuracy. When he gets into "play-making" mode it's when the PP gets slumpy.

What him and Tavares need are guys that can constantly get the puck on their sticks, and nobody on the team is better at that than Marner, Nylander, and Rielly. Such a waste having him on the 2nd unit.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Fine, don't sign. Let's see how you feel when you actually start missing paychecks. Part of me wants the Leafs to stick it to him and his agent. They probably arrogantly think that they can still get the team to cave. The team won't. They will let him sit and start missing his paychecks.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fine, don't sign. Let's see how you feel when you actually start missing paychecks. Part of me wants the Leafs to stick it to him and his agent. They probably arrogantly think that they can still get the team to cave. The team won't. They will let him sit and start missing his paychecks.

If you look at the team components. We have no reason to cave at all... We just treat him as injured and give another more time, play Hyman on his right wing and then move a solid player on the left.

We have so many workable combinations that it's no worry. Unless some catastrophe takes place and we don't gel

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Nylander is taking a huge L the more he waits... that PP unit is just evidence enough.

Although, I highly doubt Babcock will actually use all 3 of his centers on the first PP unit, that sounds kinda dumb tbh. Might make more sense to take off Matthews, put in Leivo, and then put matthews with nylander and marleau on the 2nd unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad