Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Simon Holmstrom re-signs with the Islanders (1 year, $850k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably at or just slightly about his QO, Wahlstrom is awarded anything it opens a buyout window and if they can't trade Pageau by then they likely buy him out I would think.
I'd be surprised if they couldn't find a trade partner for PGP. Should be a solid 3C addition to a team that needs veterans to handle the defensive side of things while developing F prospects. But, maybe his MNTC lists those clubs on it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Probably at or just slightly about his QO, Wahlstrom is awarded anything it opens a buyout window and if they can't trade Pageau by then they likely buy him out I would think.
At this point you keep Pageau, if he’s out who are you replacing him with?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Good deal. From an Isles perspective, i'd have probably wanted an extra year on it, because i do think he's got some potential to be really good value on this contract...but it's understandable if Holmstrom wouldn't want to go there without being offered more in terms of AAV. So this works.

Cheap and still pretty young, with upside...probably makes him a useful trade chip if the Isles want to go on a shopping spree at the deadline again or whatever too.

Reactions: andora

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm a big fan of Holmie but he seemed lost playing under Roy's ''man to man'' system to the degree he was in the pressbox . I wonder if he's been playing zone-d for so long in the Swede leagues growing up , AHL/NHL that the learning curve was a tad steep to drop on the rookie mid-season .

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I feel like the Islanders are one more big impact winger away from looking dangerous.

As of now, I think they're in the playoff mix but not a huge danger.
If Pelech/Pulock stay reasonably healthy throughout the season, I agree. The defense, but only if healthy, is good, and varied. If NYI can simply improve their PK & goals against vs last year, which they can do with their current personnel, they can be top 3 in the Metro.

But a winger who makes an impact in more than a limited, specialized, way is necessary for any playoffs success. Islanders had two possible UFA targets - Duclair or Tarasenko, and they go one of them, and Duclair is imo a better fit. Still, it's not enough. Upgrading on Palmieri at the deadline (his contract will expire) is imo the future move, but only if the team merits it.

Having a cheap, under control winger with size, good skating & PK abilities who can chip in goals like Holmstrom for cheap could help accrue space come the deadline.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'm a big fan of Holmie but he seemed lost playing under Roy's ''man to man'' system to the degree he was in the pressbox . I wonder if he's been playing zone-d for so long in the Swede leagues growing up , AHL/NHL that the learning curve was a tad steep to drop on the rookie mid-season .
Out of the 2 RFA options left, Holmie is the substantially better one. He did struggle but also the team had to flip the game plan upside down essentially. I have a feeling now that Roy had a full summer to assess his talent/options, we’ll see Simon (and others) progress and start to grasp the system.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Out of the 2 RFA options left, Holmie is the substantially better one. He did struggle but also the team had to flip the game plan upside down essentially. I have a feeling now that Roy had a full summer to assess his talent/options, we’ll see Simon (and others) progress and start to grasp the system.
imo he's got to learn to take better angles to get body position. he's uncommonly good at winning battles when he's got poor position, but he makes some weird decisions sometimes. i think he simply got too used to being bigger & stronger than his competition at lower levels.

Reactions: biturbo19

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
imo he's got to learn to take better angles to get body position. he's uncommonly good at winning battles when he's got poor position, but he makes some weird decisions sometimes. i think he simply got too used to being bigger & stronger than his competition at lower levels.
That just shows he’s willing to pit the work in. Positioning can be taught. He’s very good with the stick work and the ability to strip the puck from the opposition.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That just shows he’s willing to pit the work in. Positioning can be taught. He’s very good with the stick work and the ability to strip the puck from the opposition.
More than half of the off-wing wingers in the NHL aren't adequate in their own zone. I think teaching/learning positioning for right shot RWs in the defensive & neutral zone is way more straightforward.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
More than half of the off-wing wingers in the NHL aren't adequate in their own zone. I think teaching/learning positioning for right shot RWs in the defensive & neutral zone is way more straightforward.
Exactly, it’s a teachable skill. He’s shown he can grasp the little things when it comes to the NHL game. That’s a huge piece that seems to get overlooked (mainly by the casual/uneducated fan) because another prospect has a fancy shot or trick shot. That roller hockey-TikTok junk rarely translates to the NHL.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
The Islanders can be very good. It's up to them to fix a woefully inept PK (Houda's departure should help that department alone) and learn how to not blow a lead. I like the signing and think Holmstrom has solid 3LW, 20-20ish potential

Reactions: Imgoingtowork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad