NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part IV **Post 400, Isles SOLD**

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I try to ignore the dreadful Isles Twitter punditry, but he's twisting himself into a pretzel to make this sound like a win for himself. These guys would feel so much better if they realized that we all know they have no clue what they're talking about.

I refuse to be too happy about this until it happens. When it does, hand me a shovel and let's start finding Chuckles a warm place to sleep.

The morning of the day the Isles signed Grabovsky, I sent him a tweet asking if the Isles had any interest in Grabovsky and he said "no."

Three hours or so later Stape was reporting the signing.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
mike-bossy_display_image.jpg

As Jiggs would say: "HE SCORRREEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!"

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
This is chief of what concerns me, it's very peculiar.

We also have a gang ownership now that involves Charles Wang... Someone who isn't exactly known to play nice in the sandbox. Yes I'm sure these guys are shrewd businessmen but likely so was Barroway. When shrewd meets unscrupulous, unscrupulous usually wins out in the short term.
Wang is a spitbucket, no question. These two guys can afford the very best legal representation, sports attorney's, to protect their interests (as long as Wang signs the docs.lol). This isn't their first rodeo and I am certain they are fully aware of the corn holing Wang put to Barroway.
It comes down to the seller exercising his options to sell all or just a portion of his holdings, either immediately or over term as it suits him. The buyers can negotiate but if they want the team, they have to comply or walk. They want it, they complied.

Last edited:

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
Isn't it ironic that Jonathan Ledecky is on the board of Forbes and there are some posters here that blindly swear by their valuations of sports franchises and said no way Wang would get anywhere near 300 million for the Islanders?

I hope this puts an end to the discussion about the accuracy of Forbes valuations.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Guys, i'm super worried about this.
If you are going to purchase something that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, why would you let someone else control it for 2 years?

Why would the new owners agree to this kind of arrangement?
I fear there is some sort of "out" clause :(

it's not that unusual. it's pretty normal to sell a minority share in a company with a future option to purchase a majority share. this just makes the 'option' a sure thing.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Look, just because Wanger is still majority owner in the team doesn't mean he's going to take total control and burn them to the ground. Why would he? He took a positive turn this year with FA and threw around some money. If anything, he has less responsiblilty now and doesn't have to worry about it in 2 years with the 2 new guys and their deep pockets. For all we know, they could fronting the money for all team decisions since it is their investment. I'm sure personnel decisions will happen a lot sooner now if need be.

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
It's a good day to be an Islanders fan. This should have happened in June but the Clippers deal through a monkey wrench into those plans. Wish this full take over could happen this season but whatever just waiting now for nhl approval in december then its good riddance to charles wang. This is the first step in hopefully better days for Islander fans. Lord knows we deserve it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isn't it ironic that Jonathan Ledecky is on the board of Forbes and there are some posters here that blindly swear by their valuations of sports franchises and said no way Wang would get anywhere near 300 million for the Islanders?

I hope this puts an end to the discussion about the accuracy of Forbes valuations.

Yeah. I recall when the NY Post reported Wang wanted $300m for the team. Forbes listed the franchise's value at around $158m. Not only did many fans scoff and mock Wang, some in the media also found his $300m demand to be funny .

Looks like Wang will get the last laugh.

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
Look, just because Wanger is still majority owner in the team doesn't mean he's going to take total control and burn them to the ground. Why would he? He took a positive turn this year with FA and threw around some money. If anything, he has less responsiblilty now and doesn't have to worry about it in 2 years with the 2 new guys and their deep pockets. For all we know, they could fronting the money for all team decisions since it is their investment. I'm sure personnel decisions will happen a lot sooner now if need be.

No matter what some isles fans will always put a negative spin onto to something positive.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I thought this was funny..

jamie stuart @N12jamiestuart · 4h
Just spoke with #Isles legend Bobby Nystrom about ownership changes. Says he wants to see if there will be any front office changes. Cont..

jamie stuart @N12jamiestuart · 4h
Nystrom also says he's holding out hope Brooklyn doesn't work and new owners will bring team back to Long Island. #isles #nhl

https://twitter.com/N12jamiestuart

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
I didn't realize this regime was estranged from Nystrom. So i guess Bossy and Goring are the only dynasty alums on good terms with Snow/Wang?

No, Nystrom just wants the team to stay where they are. Heck Wang wanted to stay in Nassau.

And Trots has repeatedly said he'll do anything for Charles and the Islanders. The fact that he was let go hasn't changed his feelings, afterall it was Wang who coughed up the check that Pickett woudn't sign.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Said it on twitter — ill say it here....

Before celebrating... and not to pee on all of this...

1) The deal can always go sideways and fall apart. It has happened before. Until the deal is signed and completed with an NHL BoG sign-off, Im reserving celebrations...

2) Will Barroway seek an injunction to stop any sale until his lawsuit is handled? How long will that take? Could be years and years and years.

3) Malkin seems to have some deep roots in NYC. Preliminary quick look shows he in on the Board of Directors at the NY Public Library, and he is owner (or his company is the owner) of the Empire State Building. This is all good and I have no issues and it also seems that Ledekey knows a little something about hockey and sports ownership. All good. But until the rubber meets the road and we begin to see these guys in action as owners —*majority owners — its a little premature to jump up-and-down in celebration.

Will they handle PR in a better more professional way?

Will they go crazy and blindly deal away young talent for past prime "names?"

Will they honor the Brooklyn lease or try to move the team?

Will they spend beyond the floor?

Someone said to me that no one can be worse than Charles Wang. Well — either they are too young to remember or are having a little amnesia —*but yes... someone can be worse and in fact someone was worse. Remember the Milsteins and Gang of Four? Remember the Spano fiasco?

Sure —*its unlikely that a Spano could happen again. And there is a floor to deal with now where there wasn't before. But nothing is guaranteed —*and when Tavares' current deal expires and he is seeking $9 or $10 mil per season as an in-his prime consistent 85-90 point producer — will these guys pony up or pull a "Palffy?"

All of that said — YES — I am happy to see this deal announced. But I am cautiously optimistic. Change can be good — it can be very good. But until there is an honest-to-god track record, lets not elivate these guys to "Diety."

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I say this without any hint of a joke...I've never been more elated about being wrong in my life.

:laugh: (not a joke, but still kind of funny)

I'm wrong all the time around here, and it's usually not good news either way. Yes, this is nice for a change. :)

Last edited:

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Happy this is most likely happening, regardless of Wang retaining majority ownership for two years. Some of you guys honestly have a problem with 2 years? I can live through 2 years knowing that Wang won't be majority owner after then. Step off the ledge.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
Happy this happened, regardless of Wang retaining majority control for two years. Some of you guys honestly have a problem with 2 years? I can live through 2 years knowing that Wang won't be majority owner after then. Step off the ledge.

People got to remember it may only be one more offseason with Snow at the helm.

Plus it could be worse. Brian Lawton may weasel his way in with the new owners.

Sideshow Bob

Nov 18, 2008
springfield prison
Said it on twitter — ill say it here....

Before celebrating... and not to pee on all of this...

2) Will Barroway seek an injunction to stop any sale until his lawsuit is handled? How long will that take? Could be years and years and years.

you beat me to it. I was gonna post the same question.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Sorry for the delayed Celly--but Hell Yeah!!!! About Time Baby!!!! I couldn't believe the crawler at the bottom of NHL Network saying new Ownership is in place.
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::clap::clap:

Now I'll go back through the feed and begin to feel skepticism seep into my happy state, as I realize that Wang is still in the picture, one way or another even in 2 years time. That would be to utopian for us as Islanders fans, but at least he's in a diminished capacity.:nod:

IHateSidney

Oct 30, 2011
NY
Hope this means the door doesn't hit Snow and Cappy in the ass on the way out. I for one am thrilled that this FINALLY happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad