Speculation: NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part III *Barroway out Post 652*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Botta's podcast sez Barroway and his many partners are closing in on 80% control of the Isles.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/On-The-Ground/2014/06/PodcastNHLWrapAround10.aspx

Really don't know if I buy any of this from him. There's just too much crap out there with the story at this point and Botta's conflicting reports account for a lot of it. His one sentence blurb brings up more questions than answers.

What does "closing in on" 80 percent mean? Getting funding together? Convincing Wangster to sell? Negotiating a price? Who is his source? Why aren't we hearing this from anyone else?

This is the kind of stuff that's starting to annoy me about this whole thing. Either there is a story or there isn't. Don't throw out a vague one sentence blurb on some obscure podcast about a sale and leave it at that. If you heard something like that, put a damn story together with some details on the info or don't say anything at all.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This might be the most ridiculous story/non-story I can recall. It changes from day to day.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Nice to get some positive news especially after so many people have come here saying "I told you so, Wang isn't selling"

I don't think many people are saying "wang isn't selling." I believe that they are very skeptical of the sources "reporting" news about the sale, starting with posters here and guys like Botta.

For me if I don't here news from Bettman/NHL, wang, Barroway (or any other buyer), or McKanzie, I am going to be very skeptical.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Really don't know if I buy any of this from him. There's just too much crap out there with the story at this point and Botta's conflicting reports account for a lot of it. His one sentence blurb brings up more questions than answers.

What does "closing in on" 80 percent mean? Getting funding together? Convincing Wangster to sell? Negotiating a price? Who is his source? Why aren't we hearing this from anyone else?

This is the kind of stuff that's starting to annoy me about this whole thing. Either there is a story or there isn't. Don't throw out a vague one sentence blurb on some obscure podcast about a sale and leave it at that. If you heard something like that, put a damn story together with some details on the info or don't say anything at all.
I'll go on record and say Wang sells 100 percent at $320M, including the hotel bailout.

There....with Barroway saying no press and this thing turning hush hush, I bet I have as much inside info as Botta {who is trying to stay relevant IMHO}.

Sale happens on draft day so Wang's kid can go on the podium one more time. Also my guess.

I don't buy any press or leaks or inside info but do buy into smoke/fire analogy.

And I rank BillD ahead of every blaaahhhhhger, writer and whatnot. Honest and not egocentric.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Botta's podcast sez Barroway and his many partners are closing in on 80% control of the Isles.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/On-The-Ground/2014/06/PodcastNHLWrapAround10.aspx

Wow!! Talk about twisting what was actually said.....

The real quote from Botta was that "Barroway and his many partners were angling to try and buy an 80% stake in the NYI if in fact Wang is interested in selling."

Nary a word about anyone closing in on anything.

Even when a link is provided, people still twist to say what they want to hear. Baffles the mind.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Wow!! Talk about twisting what was actually said.....

The real quote from Botta was that "Barroway and his many partners were angling to try and buy an 80% stake in the NYI if in fact Wang is interested in selling."

Nary a word about anyone closing in on anything.

Even when a link is provided, people still twist to say what they want to hear. Baffles the mind.

How many people put up a franchise for sale PUBLICLY and than do not intend to sell it? Zero. This is Wang-speak. Maybe, maybe not. He's a schister and this type of speak is very indicative of baiting someone into making an emotional play (ie, over paying for it or getting what HE wants).

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
How many people put up a franchise for sale PUBLICLY and than do not intend to sell it? Zero. This is Wang-speak. Maybe, maybe not. He's a schister and this type of speak is very indicative of baiting someone into making an emotional play (ie, over paying for it or getting what HE wants).

While that may be true, Wang never made a public statement he was selling the team. He said he was entertaining offers as he has done since the first day he has owned the team.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
While that may be true, Wang never made a public statement he was selling the team. He said he was entertaining offers as he has done since the first day he has owned the team.

:huh: The issuing of a formal public memorandum to sell, is well....him making it public that he is selling.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The key word you used was "intend." Who's to say that wang "intends" to sell the team? Perhaps it's that wang "would" sell the team IF he gets his price... And what if his ask price is way over market?

If you truly "intended" to sell the team then you would do whatever is necessary to make that happen, including negotiating terms that you may not like.

At some point in the next few months either a sale will be announced or you'll hear a statement from someone like Barroway if a deal doesn't happen and he has nothing to lose at that point..."We tried to get it done, but at the end of the day the numbers didn't make sense to pursue it any further."

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Well there's public, and then there's public. I guarantee the public who can afford buying the team know all about it.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
The key word you used was "intend." Who's to say that wang "intends" to sell the team? Perhaps it's that wang "would" sell the team IF he gets his price... And what if his ask price is way over market?

If you truly "intended" to sell the team then you would do whatever is necessary to make that happen, including negotiating terms that you may not like.

At some point in the next few months either a sale will be announced or you'll hear a statement from someone like Barroway if a deal doesn't happen and he has nothing to lose at that point..."We tried to get it done, but at the end of the day the numbers didn't make sense to pursue it any further."

You are spot on.

With regards to the bolded, it is possible if no sale happens a public statement is never made. Remember you are talking about guys with big money and with big money comes big egos. Guys that live in that world don't like to come out and admit they failed at something.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Chris Botta @ChrisBottaNHL · 16m
Surprised some are shocked by Wang holding up Isles sale. Look at 2006. Started with Dean Lombardi GM interview, then committee idea.

Botta seems convinced it's happening. Plenty of smoke here.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Surprised some are shocked by Wang holding up Isles sale. Look at 2006. Started with Dean Lombardi GM interview, then committee idea.

Did Botta's tune change over the last few days? He was on a radio show (either WFAN, ESPN NY or XM NHL, can't remember which) over the weekend and he was not convinced of a sale happening anytime soon. I believe he guessed something might happen within the next year.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Can you pleased explain what in Bottas comment indicates he is convinced?

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Did Botta's tune change over the last few days? He was on a radio show (either WFAN, ESPN NY or XM NHL, can't remember which) over the weekend and he was not convinced of a sale happening anytime soon. I believe he guessed something might happen within the next year.

Again I ask what is his statement makes you think he changed his tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad