Proposal: (NSH/SEA) Askarov Tomasino for Wright

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
to Nashville Predators
Shane Wright ( entry level contract )

to Seattle Kraken
Philip Tomasino ( RFA that will get $1m cap or lower )
Yaroslav Askarov ( elite GK prospect, AHL injury callup for now )

Both teams are going to be a little over cap after they sign their RFAs. This doesn't solve that, but it doesn't make it any worse either. This does however leave Seattle with only 3 centers (and a need to reduce cap), so I propose that they trade Tanev to Columbus for Danforth after doing this. They get a 4C and they open up the cap they need to sign Beniers. Nashville would still be over cap, but that's totally regardless of this proposal, and this doesn't make the situation worse.

SEATTLE GOALTENDING
24/25 - Grubauer + Daccord
25/26 - Grubauer + ????? (Daccord? Askarov? UFA?)
26/27 - Grubauer + Askarov
27/28 - Askarov + ?????
( Kokko is waiver eligible in 2028 if he ends up being NHL worthy )

Reactions: MakoSlade

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Askarovs whole thing is he wants to be in the NHL this year.
Yeah this only works if Seattle is willing to and can trade one of their other goalies

Daccord shouldn't be traded and I think Seattle missed the boat on any chance to move grubauer

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't see this as a fit.

After a first year where a lot seemed to go right for the Kraken, they took a step back last year. With only 217 goals scored, they were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. Only Anaheim and San Jose had fewer. Wright had a nice season in Coachella. The Kraken have brought up his head coach and assistant coach from the AHL. This would seem to set the table for him to be up for the year. They need his offensive potential.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Askarov can kick rocks. July 1st is over. Every team in the NHL has their goaltending set already. If he really wanted to be penciled into an NHL spot for the upcoming season, he should have demanded to be traded before July 1st.

The only possibilities I can even see when I look at every team are :

COLORADO
Askarov beats Annunen out in camp, Annunen waived and #3 callup

CALGARY
Vladar in NHL, Askarov/Wolf fight for 2nd spot, both waiver exempt
( Calgary probably isn't interested in trading for him, though )

SAN JOSE
He is best goalie in camp, Vanecek or Blackwood waived and #3 callup

At least if he goes to Seattle, the backup goalie is a UFA next summer. He could be fast-tracked to be a full-time NHL goalie one year from now, even though he has 2 years of waiver exemption. Realistically speaking, that's the best situation that's available to him at this point.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
I like the idea, but If I'm Seattle I would be asking for more. Wright has superstar written all over him. Askarov is still 50/50.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don’t think that could possibly be the case. Or if he’s simply that oblivious to reality, we’ll that’s a different problem. But let’s assume he’s not that clueless and rather just wishes to be in a place where the best case pathway over the next few years is at least a little more open. :dunno:

Anyway, he has no say, so it kind of doesn’t matter.

I haven’t followed Wright’s progress enough to be 100% for the proposed swap… but it sounds interesting enough to me that I would definitely like to hear more about Wright.

If he’s still considered effectively the equivalent of a top-10 draft pick, blue chip for top-6 forward plus with upside still to potentially be a 1st line player, then I’m down for the swap. If there are some doubts or the ceiling is lowering on him, then no thanks.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Is Daccord signed? Bringing in Askarov if Grubauer and Daccord are already under contract seems pointless

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That may be what his agent wants, but is it reality? No.
Yes it almost certainly is. Without NHL time it means his next contract will be again virtually nothing. If he can get into the NHL this year, it will significantly increase his earning potential

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yes it almost certainly is. Without NHL time it means his next contract will be again virtually nothing. If he can get into the NHL this year, it will significantly increase his earning potential
Ok, but he's not ready for NHL time, he may get some due to injury but he's better off playing nearly every night in Milwaukee then on the end of a b2b once a week.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Ok, but he's not ready for NHL time, he may get some due to injury but he's better off playing nearly every night in Milwaukee then on the end of a b2b once a week.
I'm not sure I agree that he's not NHL ready, he may not be ready to be the full time starter but he's certainly ready for back-up minutes. Which would earn him a likely 1 way contract and more $$.

We either made a mistake when we drafted him or we need to use him for valuable pieces. The fact we didn't let him be the back-up this year completely kills his trade potential. Nashville will be lucky to get anything for him at this point, very poor asset management here. Any way you slice it, we either drafted poorly or we let our asset become worthless...should've used the pick on a forward or defenseman IMO. We had Saros and knew what we had before we made the draft selection.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I like the idea, but If I'm Seattle I would be asking for more. Wright has superstar written all over him. Askarov is still 50/50.
So writing in sharpie in his body raises his value and that's what the Red Wings did wrong when they couldn't trade Justin Abdelkader?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not sure I agree that he's not NHL ready, he may not be ready to be the full time starter but he's certainly ready for back-up minutes. Which would earn him a likely 1 way contract and more $$.

We either made a mistake when we drafted him or we need to use him for valuable pieces. The fact we didn't let him be the back-up this year completely kills his trade potential. Nashville will be lucky to get anything for him at this point, very poor asset management here. Any way you slice it, we either drafted poorly or we let our asset become worthless...should've used the pick on a forward or defenseman IMO. We had Saros and knew what we had before we made the draft selection.
It appears management and the coaching staff doesn't believe so, and considering Trotz, Korn, and Vanderclok's track record with goalies I'll take that as a pretty good belief.

If Askarov was a forward I would have a different opinion probably, but we are talking goalies here.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I don't see this as a fit.

After a first year where a lot seemed to go right for the Kraken, they took a step back last year. With only 217 goals scored, they were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. Only Anaheim and San Jose had fewer. Wright had a nice season in Coachella. The Kraken have brought up his head coach and assistant coach from the AHL. This would seem to set the table for him to be up for the year. They need his offensive potential.

Potential =/= production. I will add that Kraken doesn't seem to have a spot for him in the top 9, so Wright may be better off with another year of AHL. Also, Seatlle probably doesn't have much use for Tomasino for the same reasons.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Potential =/= production. I will add that Kraken doesn't seem to have a spot for him in the top 9, so Wright may be better off with another year of AHL. Also, Seatlle probably doesn't have much use for Tomasino for the same reasons.

This isn't gospel, but one of the Seattle mods (@Fistfullofbeer) had this out there as a potential lineup. I think there's room for Shane in the top nine.

I don't see this trade from the Kraken's point of view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad