Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] F Philip Tomasino re-signs with the Predators (1 year, $825k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Guy's definitely getting traded for little value this year and it's too bad. Trotz and Brunette hate him for fictional reasons.

Actually even worse, Trotz gonna try and slip him through waivers so he can play Mark Jankowski and Vinnie Hinostroza instead (and he will be claimed).
What’s the “fictional reasons”? Inquiring minds want to know!

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What’s the “fictional reasons”? Inquiring minds want to know!

No one knows! That's why they're fictional!

Allegedly his defensive play and work ethic but as someone that's watched almost every game he's played as Pred, this seems dramatic! The fact that he has such a short leash while there have been players who are or have been worse culprits and they didn't get the same treatment is very sus.

Reactions: Gnashville

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The way that organization treats him is so strange. I don't think he's some great player being totally held back out of negligence or anything, but he's still a first round pick investment guy with decent ability and more potential upside...that they seem to treat a little bit like a random waiver wire pickup.

Really makes you wonder if there's something else going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, or if they really just...don't like him much. Usually, first round pick pedigree gets a guy excessively more leeway than they even deserve, multiple chances to "figure it out" and opportunities to vault into the Top-6 and Powerplay, and anything to try to jumpstart them if they're not really panning out. It's weird.

Adding Stamkos and Marchessault as skilled Top-6 Wingers though, doesn't look promising for Tomasino remaining a Predator. That's probably where he needs to be to find success, and that isn't happening with the investments they've made at the position.

Can't help but wonder if that understanding that he'll most likely be dealt, wasn't part of the equation in agreeing to a super cheap 1-year contract. Makes him a lot more attractive as a trade chip for a stronger, cap-strapped team looking for a little youthful "upside" skill. Might end up beneficial to him in the long-run, to sign a cheap deal now, that gets him traded to a place he can thrive, rather than getting dumped off on a bad team that happens to have tons of cap space to burn.

Pittsburgh immediately jumps to mind as a potential suitor. Not sure what they'd have to offer Nashville that would appeal, but it's easy to see a potential fit on the other end of things. Even with McGroarty also now presumably being gifted a roster spot as a young guy. Carolina also makes a lot of sense to me. But there are plenty of other teams who could use a .5PPG sort of skilled winger with a bit of upside, on a near minimum salary sort of contract.

Reactions: Nevins

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The way that organization treats him is so strange. I don't think he's some great player being totally held back out of negligence or anything, but he's still a first round pick investment guy with decent ability and more potential upside...that they seem to treat a little bit like a random waiver wire pickup.

Really makes you wonder if there's something else going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, or if they really just...don't like him much. Usually, first round pick pedigree gets a guy excessively more leeway than they even deserve, multiple chances to "figure it out" and opportunities to vault into the Top-6 and Powerplay, and anything to try to jumpstart them if they're not really panning out. It's weird.

Adding Stamkos and Marchessault as skilled Top-6 Wingers though, doesn't look promising for Tomasino remaining a Predator. That's probably where he needs to be to find success, and that isn't happening with the investments they've made at the position.

Can't help but wonder if that understanding that he'll most likely be dealt, wasn't part of the equation in agreeing to a super cheap 1-year contract. Makes him a lot more attractive as a trade chip for a stronger, cap-strapped team looking for a little youthful "upside" skill. Might end up beneficial to him in the long-run, to sign a cheap deal now, that gets him traded to a place he can thrive, rather than getting dumped off on a bad team that happens to have tons of cap space to burn.

Pittsburgh immediately jumps to mind as a potential suitor. Not sure what they'd have to offer Nashville that would appeal, but it's easy to see a potential fit on the other end of things. Even with McGroarty also now presumably being gifted a roster spot as a young guy. Carolina also makes a lot of sense to me. But there are plenty of other teams who could use a .5PPG sort of skilled winger with a bit of upside, on a near minimum salary sort of contract.
Really just comes down to effort and his unwillingness to battle for pucks on the board, or at least that is what other Preds fans seem to think.

Was no doubt a couple of years ago he left for the summer and didn't spend much time training thinking he had a roster spot and it showed when camp rolled around.

That said, if you don't like a player you get something for him anyways. If he puts him on waivers there is little doubt in anyone's mind that he will be grabbed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Really just comes down to effort and his unwillingness to battle for pucks on the board, or at least that is what other Preds fans seem to think.

Was no doubt a couple of years ago he left for the summer and didn't spend much time training thinking he had a roster spot and it showed when camp rolled around.

That said, if you don't like a player you get something for him anyways. If he puts him on waivers there is little doubt in anyone's mind that he will be grabbed.

I'd imagine someone would at least deal something Nashville's way for him. He's not that far gone. Trying to slip him through waivers would be a colossal misestimation of his "value" to some other teams.

I do get where, to coaches, that kind of thing is just infuriating. He has all the ability to be a good player, but won't put in that work to at least just...try. But as much as it's easy to blame the player, in some circumstances, there's at least a share of the blame that falls on the coach. The guy whose job it is, to find ways to motivate and get the most out of the players he's given to work with. Some players...you just can't do it. But Tomasino to me, seems young enough and has enough little flickers that show he could do it, if things actually click for him and he finally "gets it".

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Preds had like 2.3M in cap space with 20/23 players on roster. That may have played a role too. Cap space was narrowed down to that due to offseason signings, so it's not like it happened accidentally, thought.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wonder if we might see a Tomasino for Kaliyev swap. Their situations are awfully similar. Both teams don't seem high on their kid, but also don't want to lose a high draft pick that they've developed for nothing. Both players also have similar issues (inconsistent effort and unwillingness to battle), which might not help either team much, but maybe a fresh start would motivate both.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wonder if we might see a Tomasino for Kaliyev swap. Their situations are awfully similar. Both teams don't seem high on their kid, but also don't want to lose a high draft pick that they've developed for nothing. Both players also have similar issues (inconsistent effort and unwillingness to battle), which might not help either team much, but maybe a fresh start would motivate both.
I'd say if a guy has that kind of rep the odds Barry Trotz trades for them is going to be slim and none, even if the guy he is moving out also has that same rep.

Kind of based on the Askarov stuff, Trotz seems like a guy that isn't afraid to sit down and have a one to one conversation with a player. So it may just be one final effort to see if Tomasino will get it or not. Guess we will find out shortly.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I dunno how much a team would give for him, but if he goes on waivers he likely gets claimed, so if they aren't keeping him they should take what they can get now

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I prefer Tomasino's offensive upside over Kaliyev personally. Im hoping that since Nashville actually has good veteran scoring depth now, we dont just stack 1 line and spread it out over 3 lines this season. Thatll help guys like Evangelista, Pärssinen, Novak, and Tomasino alot more.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I prefer Tomasino's offensive upside over Kaliyev personally.
Kaliyev has actually outscored him at every level. It's just a question of whether his bread and butter-his elite shot--will be enough at the NHL level. He's similar to Tolvanen, who benefitted from a change of scenery, but I certainly don't blame you for preferring the more well-rounded player (Tomasino), since being good at several things tends to lead to more NHL success.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Kaliyev has actually outscored him at every level. It's just a question of whether his bread and butter-his elite shot--will be enough at the NHL level. He's similar to Tolvanen, who benefitted from a change of scenery, but I certainly don't blame you for preferring the more well-rounded player (Tomasino), since being good at several things tends to leads to more NHL success.
Kaliyev and Tomasino each had 100 pts in 19-20 which is the really only comparable season. Tomasino has 72 pts in his draft season on a veteran team with no pp time. Tomasino has spent his NHL career playing for idiots. Hard to tell who is the better player.

Reactions: Osprey

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Preds had like 2.3M in cap space with 20/23 players on roster. That may have played a role too. Cap space was narrowed down to that due to offseason signings, so it's not like it happened accidentally, thought.

I mean, that explains it from the Preds end...but i'm not sure Tomasino had any particular reason to help them out of a tight cap situation by taking a minimum dollar deal.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I mean, that explains it from the Preds end...but i'm not sure Tomasino had any particular reason to help them out of a tight cap situation by taking a minimum dollar deal.
I’ll bet he was offered that deal in July, and his agent said let’s hold off and see if we can get an offer sheet. When none came it became more important to get in camp and get NHL stats for this season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I’ll bet he was offered that deal in July, and his agent said let’s hold off and see if we can get an offer sheet. When none came it became more important to get in camp and get NHL stats for this season.
I kind of doubt it was the offer in July. Based one what we have seen with Trotz and some of these other guys the offer in July was likely a two way contract. Waiting for Tomasino got him the 1 way, but the money didn't really move much.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I kind of doubt it was the offer in July. Based one what we have seen with Trotz and some of these other guys the offer in July was likely a two way contract. Waiting for Tomasino got him the 1 way, but the money didn't really move much.
Wonder if the Kaliyev contract had any bearing on Tomasino coming to terms here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad