Proposal: NSH/CAR/NJD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Pretty good mock trade good job on this.
Saros and Necas needs to come with a extension for sure though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't really see Necas as a Trotz/Brunette type player. Honestly depending on who is available at the NJD pick l, I'd rather have the 1st and Bahl

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I feel like Devils are giving up quite a bit in this deal.

Kevin Bahl + #10 + 3rd round pick for Saros is a pretty hefty price to pay even with an extension.

Bahl is a young 6’-7” defenseman so he definitely has quite a bit of value too, not just a throwaway piece here. I would argue the Devils should drop the third at least, but I would say the 2025 1st instead of #10 is a lot fairer.

I still think the Devils preferred target will be Markstrom as he should be cheaper than Saros/Ullmark and two years is the perfect term given the Devils goalie situation. Markstrom/Allen tandem next year, Markstrom/Daws/Schmid the following year, and then Markstrom is a UFA and you can re-evaluate based on the young goalies.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I feel like Devils are giving up quite a bit in this deal.

Kevin Bahl + #10 + 3rd round pick for Saros is a pretty hefty price to pay even with an extension.

Bahl is a young 6’-7” defenseman so he definitely has quite a bit of value too, not just a throwaway piece here. I would argue the Devils should drop the third at least, but I would say the 2025 1st instead of #10 is a lot fairer.

I still think the Devils preferred target will be Markstrom as he should be cheaper than Saros/Ullmark and two years is the perfect term given the Devils goalie situation. Markstrom/Allen tandem next year, Markstrom/Daws/Schmid the following year, and then Markstrom is a UFA and you can re-evaluate based on the young goalies.
I doubt Carolina is trading Necas in a deal that makes NJ a legit contender in the Metro by bringing you a desperately needed goalie, unless the return is premium.

#10 is #10. Your 2025 1st is potentially in the late #20s. Bahl is a LHD and not the centerpiece or selling point of this offer.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I doubt Carolina is trading Necas in a deal that makes NJ a legit contender in the Metro by bringing you a desperately needed goalie, unless the return is premium.

#10 is #10. Your 2025 1st is potentially in the late #20s. Bahl is a LHD and not the centerpiece or selling point of this offer.
The last goalie that was traded for this high of a pick was Schneider. He was traded for just the #9 pick alone and was also two years younger than Saros is now.

Devils are giving up #10, a 23 year old NHL defender with size that can also skate, and a third round pick on top of that. Bahl may not be the centerpiece of this deal, but he’s still a valuable asset. In a vacuum, Bahl’s value is probably somewhere around a 2nd round pick, but given how much teams value size on defense, I’d argue he’s worth more.

Likewise, I don’t think the Devils want to be giving up #10 to a division rival either. While not as important as giving the Devils a goalie, it would not be smart to give a perennial contender a high-end prospect they could get for #10.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Seems like a weird deal all around, can't see NJ wanting to gift a rival a top 10 pick and I can't see Carolina wanting to help NJ solve their goalie problems, especially considering they could use a goalie themselves

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
On a second glance, I think Nashville is making out like bandits here.
Are we? I think we have a couple of guys in the system already that could be 50-60 point wingers and aren't going to be overpaid for a few years. Meanwhile we give up a player that turns probably 10+ games a year from losses to OTLs or wins for us. This feels like we're just repeating the Duchene acquisition, yet giving up a valuable piece in the process.

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Depends on Saros extension how excited I am about this. My guess is it would have to be a massive one which makes me less enthusiastic but it really is time to bite the bullet and just try and fix goaltending even if it hurts / means a risky long term deal.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
On a second glance, I think Nashville is making out like bandits here.
They are and Devils are making up the value from Saros to Necas here. Break it down by team it looks like:

NJD: Bahl, #10, + 3rd round pick for Saros
NSH: Saros for Necas + 3rd
CAR: Necas for Bahl + #10

Nashville is getting the most valuable piece in Necas and getting a third on top of it. If Carolina likes Bahl, the deal might not be that bad for them, but they could probably get a better offer elsewhere (see Dubois deal last summer). Devils are over paying for Saros to make up the difference between Saros & Necas.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Switch Saros for Ullmark and remove Bahl
Ullmark to Devils
#10 to Canes
Necas to Bruins

If Canes don’t want a pick then Boston can flip it for Chychrun+ or whatever the Canes want to make the deal work.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
:canes
NJD 2024 First Round Pick (10OA)
Kevin Bahl

:nashville
Martin Necas
NJD 2026 Third Round Pick

:devils
Juuse Saros
So 100A and Bahl for Saros ( Corey Scheidner flsshback)

Then 20OA and Bahl for Necas and a 3rd?

Teams dont trade 10OA picks for Necas. Nashvilke more likely trades their own 1st

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Ullmark to Devils
#10 to Canes
Necas to Bruins

If Canes don’t want a pick then Boston can flip it for Chychrun+ or whatever the Canes want to make the deal work.
Terrible for the Canes. Why would they give up Necas for a pick??

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I would only do this for Nashville if:

1) Saros refuses to re-sign/extend on reasonable terms, and

2) Nobody offers us something a little better than Necas and a 3rd.

I don’t think either of those conditions will be met, however, so it’s not likely a trade the Preds will ever make.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
100% figured that would be implied at this point.
Except Saros cannot come with an extension, since he is not eligible for an extension until July 1st. Which comes after the 2024 draft.

Ullmark to Devils
#10 to Canes
Necas to Bruins

Yeah NJD Passes on paying a top 10 pick for a rental goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad