Nolan and Relationships

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I caught something on WGR the other day and people in the hockey circles (scouts, other coaches, GMs, agents, etc.) absolutely hate Ted Nolan. They were saying that he doesn't even game plan for teams and that was a major reason why he was so alienated in the NHL. I never heard this, until that day. They were saying Nolan is very old school and that just people around hockey don't think you can win like that anymore. The people on WGR couldn't ever recall anyone that was so hated by everyone else, but liked by his players.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This doesn't really surprise me. He seems to focus on the basics, ex. banging the puck off the boards in the defensive zone, working hard every shift, etc, with less focus on how to handle the specific opponent on deck.

I think this kind of mentality is fine for a rebuilding team that is expected to lose more often than win, but Nolan won't be the coach to turn this team into a true contender (Not that anybody in the organization thinks he is).

ohheyimmark

Sep 20, 2006
Boston
I caught something on WGR the other day and people in the hockey circles (scouts, other coaches, GMs, agents, etc.) absolutely hate Ted Nolan. They were saying that he doesn't even game plan for teams and that was a major reason why he was so alienated in the NHL. I never heard this, until that day. They were saying Nolan is very old school and that just people around hockey don't think you can win like that anymore. The people on WGR couldn't ever recall anyone that was so hated by everyone else, but liked by his players.

No big deal, we won't make the playoffs anytime soon anyway. :)

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
Teddy was brought to Buffalo to motivate and help Patty evaluate. My fear is that he gets too caught up in winning to help preserve his job or find a new job. Winning right now is not in the Sabres best interest long term.

barnell

butter knife hockey
Mar 28, 2010
Rochester, NY
Nolan wasn't disliked because he was too good at his job. He's a good coach who gets a lot out of his players.

He is liked around the NHL because in the past (perhaps he has changed) he has systematically burned bridges.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I got a chuckle when they asked Nolan about that night's opponent (Senators) and he went with the standard answer that went something like this: they are a really good team (even though they were on a nasty losing streak at the time).

During that conversation (or another, can't remember), he said that it's Sacco's job to know the opponent.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It should be noted that not everyone dislikes him. Phil Esposito has on numerous occasions mentioned that he wanted to offer the Tampa coaching job to Nolan after he left the Sabres, but Nolan declined for family/personal reasons, and to this day he still speaks very highly of Nolan.

I find it funny how a lot of guys who "dislike" him never worked with him though. It's all reputation and rumors, which is unfortunate.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I don't care if "other people" hate him so long as he's respected amongst his own. In fact; those two things can work together. If others don't like your leader, it can bring the unit tighter together. Nothing unites as a common enemy. And, as a queen of Sweden once said; he who has no enemies has no real friends.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
This doesn't shock me. I heard Sacco has been doing most of the technical work and game planning

The conversation was between Howard and SImon/Jeremy and Paul Hamilton. Hamilton was expressing the polarity he has with the rest of the league, but not his own players.

He identified Sacco prepping for the opponents and that Nolan was good at delegating.

Delegating is one of the hardest things to do, particularly the higher up the ranks you are. Most people high up would prefer to be in complete control and don't feel comfortable handing over the reigns to someone else to screw up.

Hamilton wnet on to say that Nolan spends his practice teaching, whether it be to the whole team or one on one and keeping the game simple.

He is clearly a good motivator. I have not really heard of players not liking him. The questions still remains, can he take a team and advance based upon something other than overachieving.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Already well established that he sucks at x's and o's. He's a motivational coach that gets guys to play hard for him. He shouldn't stick around here unless he's surrounded by better assistants and will let them put their knowledge to use.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Elephant in the room: Nolan & Hasek. Did they get along or not?

That would only be an elephant in the room if Hasek was regularly sitting in on coaches meetings, or was banging Pegula's daughter. An elephant in the room is something that can't be ignored. We've been ignoring Hasek since he went to Ottawa.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
all I give a crap is that LaLa and Mr.Moneybags like him..All the others can piss off..The rest of the NHL hates it when the Sabres win..Nolan can do that again and that's a threat..

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I don't really wanna say, but is it fairly common knowledge around here why Hasek hated Nolan the way he did? Here's a hint: It had nothing to do with hockey.

All is fair in love and war...also hockey if your last name is Chara.

Rebirth

Oct 20, 2012
I think this article says it all. Nolan is the right guy for the job and has the players support.

"The players were drowning in video and skating on egg shells while Rolston was in charge. Nolan’s doctrine that good things come to those who work hard has reminded everyone that hockey is supposed to be fun.

“It’s refreshing,” center Tyler Ennis said after practice at Riverside Park. “You could see the change in our play. We’re competing. We’re in games. We’re playing well, and it can only get better. There’s lots of room for improvement, but we’re moving in the right direction.”"

"“Even with the position we’re in right now, it seems to be quite a positive room,” Myers said. “The direction we’re headed is one I think everyone is excited about.

“It’s a completely different feel in the room. I don’t think we’ve had this feeling in the room for quite some time now, not even just looking at this year but last year was a tough year as well. The atmosphere right now within the group, all the guys are pretty happy about it.”"

"“It’s almost like he’s been a breath of fresh air,” Myers said. “With as many changes that occurred, it almost gave us the feeling of a new beginning. We’ve really embraced that, and it’s helped out a lot.”"

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/depressing-cloud-over-sabres-is-clearing-20131230

ZeroPT*

I agree with the others that Nolan shouldn't be kept long term for us.. he's a motivational kind of guy, his players will run through walls for him, but some people on this board are better tactically than him. I would like to keep him on somehow but not as a HC. Also, a little bit off topic but who are the up and coming hockey coaches a la Jon Cooper?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I agree with the others that Nolan shouldn't be kept long term for us.. he's a motivational kind of guy, his players will run through walls for him, but some people on this board are better tactically than him. I would like to keep him on somehow but not as a HC. Also, a little bit off topic but who are the up and coming hockey coaches a la Jon Cooper?

I was very skeptical when they brought Nolan back. But I think Nolan has been effective thus far. I'd keep him as long as he remains effective. If part of that equation is to have great assistants who design the system and prepare for the other team so be it. Let Nolan motivate the players to play the system. Name someone Assistant Head Coach if you have to. As long as everyone - including the new GM is on the same page. That's the upcoming hurdle that must be overcome - getting everyone on the same page, knowing their roles and sticking to them.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I was very skeptical when they brought Nolan back. But I think Nolan has been effective thus far. I'd keep him as long as he remains effective. If part of that equation is to have great assistants who design the system and prepare for the other team so be it. Let Nolan motivate the players to play the system. Name someone Assistant Head Coach if you have to. As long as everyone - including the new GM is on the same page. That's the upcoming hurdle that must be overcome - getting everyone on the same page, knowing their roles and sticking to them.

I'll agree here. I think this situation could be very interesting, in terms of the idea that the head coach doesn't involve himself with strategy, but more so with teaching and talking. I love the idea of hiring some highly-technical assistants to draw up game plans and X's and O's. Have those guys do all of the strategy and let Nolan do the motivating. I think with the right hires, it's a system that could work with the rebuild.

ZeroPT*

I agree. I wouldn't mind Nolan as an associate head coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad