No additions at the trade deadline. Big mistake by Nonis ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TML FTW*

At least he should have acquired a backup and replaced Franson.

we didn't know that reimer would go this bad. he'd ben okay before.

i would have been happy seeing franson go but idk who was available and what discussions nonis had. franson should leave over the off season tho

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Dave 'Dunkin Donuts' Nonis stood pat thinking Bernier and Reimer were going to be playing Vezina-Calibre goaltending till the end of the season, and now that reality has set in were almost in the outside looking in regarding a playoff spot. This defense is beyond attrocious, Cody Franson is a Pylon, Phaneuf is still stupid and Gleason.. Gleason has looked terrible the past few games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No one could have really seen the Bernier injury coming specifically, but having the inside knowledge on the dynamics in the room, Nonis could have been more proactive and gone after an insurance policy. It's not like Reimer was in a good mental place after he was benched before and after the Olympics.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No one could have really seen the Bernier injury coming specifically, but having the inside knowledge on the dynamics in the room, Nonis could have been more proactive and gone after an insurance policy. It's not like Reimer was in a good mental place after he was benched before and after the Olympics.
With hindsight being 20/20 you are right that no one would have guessed Bernier gets injured and the Leafs go on a 5 game regulation lossing streak with Reimer starting all those games. However even if Nonis did trade for another Goalie as insurance I have a feeling some people might have said he wasted on a draft pick for someone who might not even dress unless Bernier or Reimer get injured.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
With hindsight being 20/20 you are right that no one would have guessed Bernier gets injured and the Leafs go on a 5 game regulation lossing streak with Reimer starting all those games. However even if Nonis did trade for another Goalie as insurance I have a feeling some people might have said he wasted on a draft pick for someone who might not even dress unless Bernier or Reimer get injured.

That's exactly it.

You trade for the goaltending help and Bernier doesn't get hurt, it's a waste.

No one could've predicted that Reimer would played THIS bad.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I implore you to dig through my post history then.

I don't understand why drew mac is not a viable option. He looked great pre-season and is having a solid year worth the marlies. I figured he would come in add back up if bernier did indeed take over #1. Reimer has never looked good in my eyes and he was officially done the minute he became v back up. Not moving him this season was stupid asset management yet again hy Nonis

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Dave 'Dunkin Donuts' Nonis stood pat thinking Bernier and Reimer were going to be playing Vezina-Calibre goaltending till the end of the season, and now that reality has set in were almost in the outside looking in regarding a playoff spot. This defense is beyond attrocious, Cody Franson is a Pylon, Phaneuf is still stupid and Gleason.. Gleason has looked terrible the past few games.

If this is all it takes for us to miss the playoffs entirely, why would you even want to have spent a bunch of assets to upgrade at the deadline? Obviously we're not a very good team.

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If this is all it takes for us to miss the playoffs entirely, why would you even want to have spent a bunch of assets to upgrade at the deadline? Obviously we're not a very good team.

I agree with this. I think Nonis handled the deadline well. This group deserved a chance to show how far (or not) they could go, so we weren't going to be a seller in the traditional sense but it was a wise move not to waste assets on a rental that wouldn't have put us over the top. Our first priority is to upgrade the defence and that is something that will need to be done in the summer, not at the deadline.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Exactly. If the Leafs have a cap problem preventing trades, then Nonis can be blamed for that as well. Giving outrageous contracts to Phaneuf and Clarkson.

Several decent goalies and defencemen changed teams and the price wasn't too steep.

Again, the Leafs are mismanaged, as usual.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Exactly. If the Leafs have a cap problem preventing trades, then Nonis can be blamed for that as well. Giving outrageous contracts to Phaneuf and Clarkson.

Several decent goalies and defencemen changed teams and the price wasn't too steep.

Again, the Leafs are mismanaged, as usual.

The Phaneuf contract would have had 0 impact on this trade deadline, it doesn't kick in until next season.

Nonis made the right move by not spending assets at the deadline, we weren't gonna make a Cup run. Hell, we would've been lucky to win a round in the playoffs. Now, we'll be lucky to even make them. No one piece that could've been acquired would have changed anything.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I implore you to dig through my post history then.

I don't understand why drew mac is not a viable option. He looked great pre-season and is having a solid year worth the marlies. I figured he would come in add back up if bernier did indeed take over #1. Reimer has never looked good in my eyes and he was officially done the minute he became v back up. Not moving him this season was stupid asset management yet again hy Nonis

Drew Mac is a fine short term stop gap. AHL goalies step into NHL situations often and do well in relief. They have nothing to lose, are quite successful in their league and don't have the mental fatigue of guys not working out in the NHL. That said, we'd probably be in a better spot if we had a Fasth to fall back on.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The Phaneuf contract would have had 0 impact on this trade deadline, it doesn't kick in until next season.

Nonis made the right move by not spending assets at the deadline, we weren't gonna make a Cup run. Hell, we would've been lucky to win a round in the playoffs. Now, we'll be lucky to even make them. No one piece that could've been acquired would have changed anything.
LOL!
So, they were looking for one-season rentals?

'Hell, we would've been lucky to win a round in the playoffs.' So, the strategy was to tank or purposefully collapse? Your argument is weak! Most Leaf fans and management thought they were going to get into the playoffs and I'm sure the management was thinking they could go a round. Of course, I didn't think that but after the Olympic break, they were in a good position in the standings.

Other teams trying for a wild card were making trades. So, your point that they made the right move doesn't work.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You have an opinion. Stick to it! ;)

:) been following the team for a long time , I have just seen it to many times, where they attempt short term fixes that cost us long term.

heh if their short term fixes had a history of working out well, I would have a different opinion on the matter.

we are more then just a tweak or two away from being honest cup contenders.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
LOL!

'Hell, we would've been lucky to win a round in the playoffs.' So, the strategy was to tank or purposefully collapse? Your argument is weak! Most Leaf fans and management thought they were going to get into the playoffs and I'm sure the management was thinking they could go a round. Of course, I didn't think that but after the Olympic break, they were in a good position in the standings.

Other teams trying for a wild card were making trades. So, your point that they made the right move doesn't work.

Regardless if they were looking for rentals or players that could help now and next season and beyond, the cap only matters for this season. If they found a player that was a can't miss guy that would fill a need, they would have all summer to make it work cap-wise, that's what I meant when I said Phaneuf's contract doesn't count until next season.

No, I never said that was the plan. The goal of the team should be to make the playoffs and compete for the Cup. Having said that, you also have to be realistic. The way we were playing, even when we were winning games, wasn't a recipe for sustained success. One thing goes wrong, and your teams a mess. Could've been a Kessel injury, or a Phaneuf injury, or any other pivotal player getting hurt. Oh wait, it did happen. Bernier goes down for, what, a week or two? And everything goes to hell. We go from battling for home ice advantage to desperately clinging onto a wild card spot.

There was nothing the Leafs could have realistically done at the trade deadline to prevent this collapse from happening. It should have been a concern for management and fans that Bernier had never done a full season as a number one, and that he may not be able to handle the wear and tear down the stretch, and that's exactly what's happened. However, we had what shouldve been a good emergency plan in the event that this happened in James Reimer, but that hasn't exactly worked...at all. Having said that, whose to say a Fasth or a different goalie would have worked out any better for us?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
LOL!

Some teams even divested in valuable starters because of UFA status, like Gaborik in Columb.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

Vezina caliber goaltending?? If Reimer were as good as he was last year in this back up position, we would not be having this discussion. The fact is that the starting goalie for last year just could not cut it this year. How can you point fingers at Nonis when everyone at the start of the season was swooning over how we were gonna have one of the best duos in the league. Fact is that the blame in this situation lies with how Carlyle handled Reimer and also how Reimer was unable to handle the responsibilities of a backup.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
Glade your not the the GM. Piri over Raymond any day of the week expcially when you consider Raymond is a UFA and Piri is 20 years old.

Honestly dude, I'm not a big fan of Raymond's game or anything, but we would have probably lost at least 5 games this season if it weren't for him. Clutch player for comeback/tying/winning goals. And I will never complain about a 20 goal scorer for 1M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad