No additions at the trade deadline. Big mistake by Nonis ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
There's no point in making a knee jerk reaction when there aren't any logical moves to make that make sense for this team. Sometimes, standing pat is the thing to do, if there isn't a move that make sense.

An example of trying to make a move that has hurt us, when standing pat could've been a better option, is the signing of Clarkson, which at this moment seems like a horrible signing and will handcuff the Leafs long term.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Nonis thought this team deserved to stay together. Truth was, that this team was horrible defensively the entire year. I question is evaluation.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nonis thought this team deserved to stay together. Truth was, that this team was horrible defensively the entire year. I question is evaluation.

Throwout the anomaly of the 2013 48 game season and the Leafs have been poor defensively ever since the rebuild began in 2008/09.

We're still in the bottom 5 goals against today.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Throwout the anomaly of the 2013 48 game season and the Leafs have been poor defensively ever since the rebuild began in 2008/09.

We're still in the bottom 5 goals against today.

would you not say, the most chilling aspect of what you stated is ,that this still happened when we got a absolutely outstanding season from Berny.

I'm not sure it's reasonable to ask or expect more from any tender in the league.

.925 sv % is what dreams are made of.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I'm more inclined to believe he couldn't put the right deal together

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
would you not say, the most chilling aspect of what you stated is ,that this still happened when we got a absolutely outstanding season from Berny.

I'm not sure it's reasonable to ask or expect more from any tender in the league.

.925 sv % is what dreams are made of.

Yup 100%

Bernier has been great but even with him this team isn't very good.

Toss out the anomaly of the 48 strike season of 2013 and lets compare the 2012 (18-wheeler season) and 2014 in goals against.

2012 - (264 goals against) 82 games = 3.22 GAA
2014 - (226 goals against) 73 games = 3.10 GAA [= 254 ga /82 games]

So at this current pace (with 9 games remaining) this team 2 years later is on pace for +10 goals against improvement (with Bernier & top 5 sv%).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The fact we are even this close is Bernier, put Bernier on Boston and I assure you all the Bruins would have the same record.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Nonis should have traded Reimer at the draft

Once Bernier was obtained it was apparent that he was No.1, it was also apparent that Reimer was not happy and after a very good performance over the last part of the season and the playoffs. There were lots of proven veterans out there that could have been signed for less than Reimer's salary, and James value would have been at the highest.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
were still rebuilding (3rd youngest team) a trade deadline deal for futures would have been dumb

3rd youngest team in the league that had to shed 10 million in cap space to make it fit.

there is something serious wrong with this organisation when that statement above can be made and be relatively accurate.:shakehead

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Once Bernier was obtained it was apparent that he was No.1, it was also apparent that Reimer was not happy and after a very good performance over the last part of the season and the playoffs. There were lots of proven veterans out there that could have been signed for less than Reimer's salary, and James value would have been at the highest.

The very reason Nonis didn't trade Reimer was to insulate the team in case of a Bernier injury down the stretch.

The injury happened and Reimer was called upon to fill in. Unfortunately the plan was solid the play of the team however including Reimer has left something to be desired.

TML FTW*

I don't know what he could really do with our capspace. And on top of that, I don't think there was really anyone available to add. We need to improve defense.

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
No reason to make bad trades. Carlyle has his team (Grabo, Mac, Liles, others are long gone). Now, it's up to Randy to make it work. Otherwise, we need to change direction in the offseason.

You simply do not throw good money after bad...

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nonis has NO BALLS to make the big moves. He sat on his hands and let our opponents improve themselves at the deadline!

We deserve to miss the playoffs by not being pro-active trade wise since the beginning of the season. I think it was quite clear that Clarkson was not working out by Christmas. Trading him for peanuts, to anyone willing to take him on, would have given us the cap room to make a better offer for Vanek for example.

I just think Nonis is just too conservative and is too afraid to pull the trigger on trading players and firing coaches when necessary!

Nice guys finish last, and, Nonis is a nice guy!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nonis has NO BALLS to make the big moves. He sat on his hands and let our opponents improve themselves at the deadline!

We deserve to miss the playoffs by not being pro-active trade wise since the beginning of the season. I think it was quite clear that Clarkson was not working out by Christmas. Trading him for peanuts, to anyone willing to take him on, would have given us the cap room to make a better offer for Vanek for example.

I just think Nonis is just too conservative and is too afraid to pull the trigger on trading players and firing coaches when necessary!

Nice guts finish last, and, Nonis is a nice guy!

At this point based on play and contract trading Clarkson is pipe dream. IMO

That aside, what UFA would ever sign in Toronto again if after you committed to join you were run out of town before your first season was done?.

I agree that the contract and Clarkson's play don't match and that use of cap space hinders the team at present, but as I mentioned that is not easily solvable either.

The best thing that should be taken away from the Clarkson UFA signing and the past mistakes of Komisarek, Armstrong, Connolly etc etc is that the team should use extreme caution when investing in future UFAs. Its not just Nonis as many GMs are regretting their UFA signing decisions of the past.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
At this point based on play and contract trading Clarkson is pipe dream. IMO

That aside, what UFA would ever sign in Toronto again if after you committed to join you were run out of town before your first season was done?.

I agree that the contract and Clarkson's play don't match and that use of cap space hinders the team at present, but as I mentioned that is not easily solvable either.

The best thing that should be taken away from the Clarkson UFA signing and the past mistakes of Komisarek, Armstrong, Connolly etc etc is that the team should use extreme caution when investing in future UFAs. Its not just Nonis as many GMs are regretting their UFA signing decisions of the past.

I don't believe that trading a player, that is clearly not working out, would effect the ability to sign future UFAs. Other teams have done this very thing in the past and have had no trouble signing UFAs afterwards. Flyers???

Did Nonis even try to trade Clarkson?... I'd have tried a Clarkson for Hemsky before he was shipped to SnOttawa!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Nice guys finish last, and, Nonis is a nice guy!

you sound like ownership , "move heaven and earth" to just get us into the playoffs.

just making it to the POs don't mean jack to me, building this team into a real contender is what matters.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
you sound like ownership , "move heaven and earth" to just get us into the playoffs.

just making it to the POs don't mean jack to me, building this team into a real contender is what matters.

It sometimes takes years of playoff failures to become a real contender! Making the playoffs, on a consistent basis, is the path you have to take to become a real contender.

You just don't wake up after 10 years of missing the playoffs, and bang, you're a Stanley Cup contender. Oilers are long overdue if that's the way it's suppose to work.

You need to steadily improve the team at every opportunity... at the draft, UFA in July, trade deadline day, arbitration time in August, and pre-season etc. Nonis failed to improve our team at the deadline and increase our chances to make the playoffs again this season.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It sometimes takes years of playoff failures to become a real contender! Making the playoffs, on a consistent basis, is the path you have to take to become a real contender.

You just don't wake up after 10 years of missing the playoffs, and bang, you're a Stanley Cup contender. Oilers are long overdue if that's the way it's suppose to work.

You need to steadily improve the team at every opportunity... at the draft, UFA in July, trade deadline day, arbitration time in August, and pre-season etc. Nonis failed to improve our team at the deadline and increase our chances to make the playoffs again this season.

Sorry ,but I just don't fully buy into your program.

There is a time and place and reasoning that needs to be put in place for long term growth to become a real cup contender.

trading for pending UFAs at this deadline was surely not one of them.

infact if I had my way, I would not have held onto the pending UFAs that I already had.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don't know what he could really do with our capspace. And on top of that, I don't think there was really anyone available to add. We need to improve defense.

Boyle would have been a good option imo

Should have dumped phaneuf, brought him in to actually lead and help groom the youngsters. Even if it was 7 it would be 2-4 years max. Buys us time to develop our young dmen

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Sorry ,but I just don't fully buy into your program.

There is a time and place and reasoning that needs to be put in place for long term growth to become a real cup contender.

trading for pending UFAs at this deadline was surely not one of them.

infact if I had my way, I would not have held onto the pending UFAs that I already had.

You have an opinion. Stick to it! ;)

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
That being said

I don't think I could pull the trigger on a move like that if it didn't involve my armchair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad