No additions at the trade deadline. Big mistake by Nonis ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Said it then, those UFA's that are not in the long term picture should have been dealt (Raymond kulemin). Could have got assetes as well as had a look at some kids.
During the 2013 trade deadline you could have said why didn't Nonis trade Clarke MacArthur who was going to be a UFA and was a healthy scratch a lot of games. So if after all that Nonis still didn't trade him, why would he have traded Raymond and Kulemin who are playing every night.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Man Nonis should've only made the Bernier trade in the off season and the Gleason trade in season:

Jvr - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Raymond
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Komorov - Mcclement - Bodie

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Gleason - Rielly

Bernier
Reimer

Only thing I switch is Bolland for Grabovski. Also Raymond over MacArthur would be fine.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Only thing I switch is Bolland for Grabovski. Also Raymond over MacArthur would be fine.

Fine I have no problem with that save for this historical fact.

Bolland is kinda injury prone but also was a rental and will demand 5m? That is crippling with the Clarkson contract

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Man Nonis should've only made the Bernier trade in the off season and the Gleason trade in season:

Jvr - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Raymond
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Komorov - Mcclement - Bodie

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Gleason - Rielly

Bernier
Reimer

Looks good. Two secondary scoring lines that are capable of producing and a 4th line that can actually play.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Fine I have no problem with that save for this historical fact.

Bolland is kinda injury prone but also was a rental and will demand 5m? That is crippling with the Clarkson contract

Bolland wasn't a rental. Also, Bozak was demanding something ridiculous as well. It's a negotiating tactic. I'd imagine Bolland's price will settle somewhere around 4M.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Trade Deadline... Why did we stand pat again???

Some good D-men were traded at the deadline for picks and junk, A Meszaros or MacDonald or even a Stephane Robidas would have looked good right about now huh?

This team's had severe defensive trouble since the season began, instead of getting a decent D-man to help us out Nonis decided to stand pat and gamble on his 2 goaltenders playing Vezina-calibre goaltending till the end of the season and now were at the brink of missing the playoffs.

Thanks Nonis.:help:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Because nobody was interested in a player for player trade and everyone wanted draft picks. And because our farm team sucks and we've already traded 3 straight years of 2nd round picks.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
I feel Nonis has overated this team and felt comfortable with what he has going down the stretch.

You can make contract for contract deals
Or you can make room for a good 2nd liner by trading Kulemin for a pick in a 2nd deal
Kulemin Franson - that's about 4 or 5 million right there
There's lots of ideas if you really want to

If you really want to, Nonis didn't seem to interested.
I'm pretty sure Burke would have done a few things

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Cap space, assets and a lack of quality available.

For players like Robidas and Meszaros a comparable contract would have needed to be moved for one of them to have been brought in. There aren't many guys I'd move to make room for either of them.

MacDonald would have been a nice grab at his cap hit and eventual price. The Leafs didn't have the necessary picks to complete a deal, though. If Holland's condition hadn't kicked in and the Leafs had a 2nd in one of the next 2 drafts, he could be a Leaf right now. Do you overpay with a 1st to get someone you might be able to sign for free in a few months, when you're already without your next two 2nds?

Meszaros, Robidas, Weaver, Schultz and Diaz all moved before the deadline. I'm not sure any of them are an upgrade on what the Leafs are already icing and I don't see much appeal at signing them past this season. Robidas only returned from injury a few games ago. The Leafs would have iced the same group until that point, just missing another high priced roster player.

Nonis didn't force an O'Byrne depth move, but MacDonald would have been nice right now.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Because if we miss out on the playoffs, our picks are actually worth something and we dealt our picks for bigger holes. The right defenseman wasn't available for our price. Simple as that.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Yeah man. Toats m' goats on A. MacDonald. What this team clearly needed is to send away picks/prospects for a rental that is among the worst possession players IN THE GAME and stick him in the defensive corps that's already overloaded.

Pray tell, who does he bump out?

Same with Meszaros. Is it really worth giving up what it would've cost for Meszaros to force Gunnarsson out of the lineup? Or Franson??

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
During the 2013 trade deadline you could have said why didn't Nonis trade Clarke MacArthur who was going to be a UFA and was a healthy scratch a lot of games. So if after all that Nonis still didn't trade him, why would he have traded Raymond and Kulemin who are playing every night.

I said the same thing about MacArthur. If you are a cup contender you keep the UFA guys and make your run. Its obvious this team isn't or wasn't so why not turn unwanted pieces into future assets.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If we can't make the playoffs without a deadline trade, then it's a good thing we didn't make a deadline trade.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I said the same thing about MacArthur. If you are a cup contender you keep the UFA guys and make your run. Its obvious this team isn't or wasn't so why not turn unwanted pieces into future assets.

frankly I think ownership has a mandate of "do what you must to"

A) get us our playoff revenues and

B) get us some playoff content for our broadcast system.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bolland wasn't a rental. Also, Bozak was demanding something ridiculous as well. It's a negotiating tactic. I'd imagine Bolland's price will settle somewhere around 4M.

At what point is a player not a rental? He was a pending UFA, that sounds like a rental to me.

Sure, we might resign him, but thats the same if you trade for a pending UFA in the summer or in January/February.

Not to mention he has major injury history and will be looking for a career contract. With Clarkson already getting what he's getting, can we really afford another 3rd liner for 4M+?

If we didnt constantly trade away 2nd rounders, 3rd line C would be something we could easily fill internally. Free agency is also a better option. Trading three picks for an injury prone pending UFA 3rd line C when your team is only a bubble team is bad asset management IMO.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If we can't make the playoffs without a deadline trade, then it's a good thing we didn't make a deadline trade.

Bingo. Trade deadline acquisitions should be to put you over the top as a top SC contender. Anything else is just pissing away assets.

I feel like the bar has been set so low here. Making the playoffs, or even winning a single round is considered an accomplishment. Nobody remembers or cares who made it to the 2nd round or even the conference finals from 5-10 years ago. What matters is winning SCs.

That should be the goal, building a contender. Not trading for rentals so we can squeak into the playoffs.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Bingo. Trade deadline acquisitions should be to put you over the top as a top SC contender. Anything else is just pissing away assets.

I feel like the bar has been set so low here. Making the playoffs, or even winning a single round is considered an accomplishment. Nobody remembers or cares who made it to the 2nd round or even the conference finals from 5-10 years ago. What matters is winning SCs.

That should be the goal, building a contender. Not trading for rentals so we can squeak into the playoffs.

Tell that to LA, squeeked in 2 years ago and won a cup. The bottom line is that once your in the dance, anything is possible. I'm not saying let's go waste our 1st rounder and prospects for a rental, but one minor transaction could of been vital for the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nonis said he did not want to move pieces for rentals, or hurt this team going fwd.

This is good enough for me. There was some rumour he made a better offer for Vanek but Snow took the Habs deal?

Regardless, Nonis should be making deals of young guys for young guys.

If Kadri and Gardiner can be dealt for similar aged players say Myers and Hodgson, then we should examine this.

But trading young guys for rentals is a backward move.

Trading Kulemin could have been done, but then that would hurt our playoff chances.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Tell that to LA, squeeked in 2 years ago and won a cup. The bottom line is that once your in the dance, anything is possible. I'm not saying let's go waste our 1st rounder and prospects for a rental, but one minor transaction could of been vital for the team.

LA was widely considered to be Cup contenders going into that season. Them having an inconsistent regular season and coming 8th is COMPLETELY different then us coming 8th, not to mention they made a major trade in-season that addressed the teams primary need (JJ for Carter) and it was a hockey trade as opposed to a rental trade.

Our team doesnt have the pieces in place right now to be Cup winners. We just dont. Too many holes, and not enough elite talent at the C or D positions (Rielly could change that in the future for our blueline).

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Some good D-men were traded at the deadline for picks and junk, A Meszaros or MacDonald or even a Stephane Robidas would have looked good right about now huh?

This team's had severe defensive trouble since the season began, instead of getting a decent D-man to help us out Nonis decided to stand pat and gamble on his 2 goaltenders playing Vezina-calibre goaltending till the end of the season and now were at the brink of missing the playoffs.

Thanks Nonis.:help:

You are assuming that because one team got a player for a certain price that the leafs could have done so too, which is a mistake.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Because other teams weren't willing to take salary in return at that point of the season, and because we're paying a 4th liner top line money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad