Confirmed Trade: [NJD/TOR] Sergey Kalinin for Viktor Loov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
A forward who isn't good enough for the Devils putrid offense and a defender that isn't good enough for Toronto's defense :laugh:

I know there's more at play here than that, but if you look at the trade in that context, it's kind of ironic.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
He is so bad the worst player ever to touch the ice in any league gm's felt so bad for him they let him play in over 100 NHL games just out of pity .

to be fair, have you seen the Devils forwards?

Kalinin is at best an average 4th liner in this league.. which means he will likely never have a consistent NHL career.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Will Kalinin work in a top-6 role for the Marlies? Or is he better suited for a bottom-6 role at that level as well?

Loov is quite the open ice hitter, that's his most attractive quality. Could see him used as a #7 at some point.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Will Kalinin work in a top-6 role for the Marlies? Or is he better suited for a bottom-6 role at that level as well?

Loov is quite the open ice hitter, that's his most attractive quality. Could see him used as a #7 at some point.

He was the Captain in the KHL. Never scored above .5 ppg.
I could see him becoming a really great winger in the NHL on the 4th line if he can change his game a bit.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Leafs won the trade. Kalinin can be a 3rd-line, physical scorer, or even better potentially. Loov will never be much more than a #5D.

UK Devil

Feb 5, 2017
Leafs won the trade. Kalinin can be a 3rd-line, physical scorer, or even better potentially. Loov will never be much more than a #5D.

What do you base that on? Have you seen him play very often? Players with the potential to be better than a 3rd line physical scorer don't pass through waivers!

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

If Loov turns into a 5D, the Devils won the trade bigly. Kalinin can't be a 3rd liner on a league average team and won't be on the Leafs. Zero offense, slow as molasses. At best, he's a mediocre 4th liner, extra forward.

This is a nothing trade and likely both players won't do anything for either team.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Hes no Dmitri :sarcasm::sarcasm:

On a side note I always thought he has potential to be a decent scorer (10-15G). He struck me as a guy that could bury his chances and was fairly creative offensively but it seems I may have been wrong. For some reason I still feel like he's one of those guys to bust off a random 25 goal year at some point.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hes no Dmitri :sarcasm::sarcasm:

On a side note I always thought he has potential to be a decent scorer (10-15G). He struck me as a guy that could bury his chances and was fairly creative offensively but it seems I may have been wrong. For some reason I still feel like he's one of those guys to bust off a random 25 goal year at some point.

So he's Russian Zack Smith.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If Loov turns into a 5D, the Devils won the trade bigly. Kalinin can't be a 3rd liner on a league average team and won't be on the Leafs. Zero offense, slow as molasses. At best, he's a mediocre 4th liner, extra forward.

This is a nothing trade and likely both players won't do anything for either team.

I was saying his potential. For now, he is a 4th liner.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What do you base that on? Have you seen him play very often? Players with the potential to be better than a 3rd line physical scorer don't pass through waivers!

1. He only cleared waivers because most teams do not have any roster space
2. Congratulations on your first post!

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Not exactly, at worst you are getting any extremely well liked locker room guy for the farm.

Wish Loov the best.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I'm glad he's gone. Not worth the frustration honestly. He produced sparingly last year only when surrounded by much better players.

Don't know anything about Loov but if he even makes the NHL it's good enough for me. I don't expect anything more than a bottom pair guy at best.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I was saying his potential. For now, he is a 4th liner.

He's shown nothing to suggest that he has potential to be more than a 4th liner. He couldn't even cut it as a 4th liner on one of the worst offenses in the NHL. He's useless offensively. I'm not bashing the guy, I'm just letting you know that he doesn't have much potential. That's why he was traded for a guy who most likely won't be anything lol.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
edit: nvm Kalinin apparently isn't expansion eligible

Lou probably liked Kalinin because he signed him when he was GM of NJD. Loov hasn't really ever impressed and is the 4th best prospect defenseman on the Marlies behind Dermott, Nielsen and Valiev.

You could even argue that Holl was above him.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I think the maintenance of this thread is like shorts on a warm day in March...You want spring and summer to come so bad that you're willing to ignore reality until the seasons actually arrive.

I'm sure the bigger Leafs deal is juuuusst around the corner and letting this thread go won't jinx it.

Five pages and counting on Kalinin/Loov, lol

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He's shown nothing to suggest that he has potential to be more than a 4th liner. He couldn't even cut it as a 4th liner on one of the worst offenses in the NHL. He's useless offensively. I'm not bashing the guy, I'm just letting you know that he doesn't have much potential. That's why he was traded for a guy who most likely won't be anything lol.

To be fair, the Devils offense is at least OK on paper.

You have P.A. Parenteauvechkin, so that's cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad