Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] D Nick DeSimone signs extension with the Devils (1 year, $775k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Had a couple decent games (and a couple awful ones) down the stretch. I'm guessing it'll be a camp battle between him and Santeri Hatakka for the #7D spot.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Probably a deterrent for a waiver claim and nothing more.
Not sure how it deters a waiver claim. The team claiming him would do so planning for him to play in the NHL. One way or two way wouldn’t matter in that case.

Term would more likely be a deterrent, but they didn’t give him that.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Not sure how it deters a waiver claim. The team claiming him would do so planning for him to play in the NHL. One way or two way wouldn’t matter in that case.

Term would more likely be a deterrent, but they didn’t give him that.
Basically they're hoping that nobody else is going to want to pay him 775k to play in the AHL if he doesn't make the main roster.

No idea if anyone would care but it's the only thing I can think of for giving him a 1 way deal.

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Basically they're hoping that nobody else is going to want to pay him 775k to play in the AHL if he doesn't make the main roster.

No idea if anyone would care but it's the only thing I can think of for giving him a 1 way deal.
Well they wouldn't have to cuz that team would have to put him on waivers again. In which case Devils would take him back and stick him in the AHL like the first time they tried it. No team would get a chance to pay him in the AHL even if they wanted to.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Kind of a slap in the face to the veterans and prospects in Utica that when the Devils were struck by injury the organization felt the need to go outside the organization for a guy like DeSimone who had barely played for the Flames.

To his credit he made the most of his opportunity. But it doesn't reflect well on the organizational scouting and player development in-house.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Kind of a slap in the face to the veterans and prospects in Utica that when the Devils were struck by injury the organization felt the need to go outside the organization for a guy like DeSimone who had barely played for the Flames.

To his credit he made the most of his opportunity. But it doesn't reflect on the organizational scouting and player development in-house.
So is it a slap in that face because multiple guys in Utica earned a shot and didn't get it, or does it reflect badly on the scouts because nobody in the AHL played well enough to earn a shot. I'm all for being upset, just point me in the right direction.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
So is it a slap in that face because multiple guys in Utica earned a shot and didn't get it, or does it reflect badly on the scouts because nobody in the AHL played well enough to earn a shot. I'm all for being upset, just point me in the right direction.

Probably a bit of both.

And perhaps on the front office for including prospects like Mukhmadullin and Okhotiuk in the Meier trade and also letting Colin Miller leave when there weren't enough quality defensemen in the organization.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

To his credit he made the most of his opportunity. But it doesn't reflect well on the organizational scouting and player development in-house.

Seems like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Edit: When 4 of your top 10 D are unavailable, claiming tweeners on waivers is something most teams are going to do. Not sure how many teams are really rolling with 11 or 12 NHL caliber D. I don't think it's coincidental that DeSimone was claimed right after Cal Foote got punted into space.

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Bahl-Marino
Hughes-Miller
Smith
-----------
Hatakka-Nemec
Misyul-Foote
Wotherspoon-Russo
Vukojevich
Vilen

Siegenthaler-Hamilton-Smith were out with injuries. Foote was suspended indefinitely. Hatakka and Nemec were already called up. Misyul and Vilen were first year pros. Wotherspoon and Russo are AHL vets (pretty sure Russo was only on an AHL deal). Team determined that they'd rather go waiver wire if only to add a warm body as they'd be running out of bodies in the AHL too.

Last edited:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Good on him. He deserves it.

Doesn't NJD have an ultra young top 4? When flashes had that, Sutter's veteran bottom pairing of Zadorov and Gudbranson helped to stabilize them.

I wonder if management didn't want more youngsters lining up in the bottom pairing and over played to add to the injury woes after the season they were having/just had.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad