Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Dawson Mercer re-signs with the Devils (3 years, $4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That down season was a blessing in disguise. Probably saved us 3M on his cap hit. He's a much better player than he showed last year, I expect a big bounce back.
I always wonder what his point total ceiling is with NJ.. NJ obviously have some other offensive studs on the team that put up more points than Mercer and get the prime mins on the first line and first PP group… Mercer is a good young player but seems as though he will be on that second line and 2nd PP for quite some time.

What do Devils fans think his ceiling is?? I always think he should every season be in the 50-60 point mark roughly???

Seems like a good contract for both sides

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I always wonder what his point total ceiling is with NJ.. NJ obviously have some other offensive studs on the team that put up more points than Mercer and get the prime mins on the first line and first PP group… Mercer is a good young player but seems as though he will be on that second line and 2nd PP for quite some time.

What do Devils fans think his ceiling is?? I always think he should every season be in the 50-60 point mark roughly???

Seems like a good contract for both sides

50-60 points seems reasonable. He’s already put up a 56 point season, but I don’t really think his ceiling as far as production is higher than that range.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think that was the deal to go long and get a big discount long term for the Devils.

This is the kind of player you build around...

I would have pushed for a longer deal.

No contending team should be building around Mercer. He’s a terrific complementary piece, but he’s not making or breaking the core.

This deal is great value for the Devils and Mercer is still an RFA at the end of it.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That's a fair deal. I typically don't like locking in guys for 8 years and banking that they improve and will score 20 more points a year. If he deserves to get a huge raise in 3 years, well that's a good problem to have.

(I say this fully aware that my team locked in Kotkaniemi for 8 x $4.82, but at least it's not a backbreaking AAV if he only stays a 3C for the term.)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Great signing for the both of them

Mercer is a much better player than he showed last year, he'll make a cool 12 mill and then sign a significant deal at 25 for another ~60ish million

Would kill to get him on the Sens at that price

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
If you'd have asked me in June what contract he would get, this is exactly what I would have said. What took so long?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
No contending team should be building around Mercer. He’s a terrific complementary piece, but he’s not making or breaking the core.

This deal is great value for the Devils and Mercer is still an RFA at the end of it.

Have you watched him play? There's a reason Lindy Ruff didn't hesitate to insert him in the lineup and that he has yet to miss a game.

The Devils season was a debacle last year and his numbers were off as a result. But like Nico and Jesper Bratt, he is a young forward capable of playing in all roles and a key to the Devils future.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He is pretty bad defensively and can't be trusted at center, so he really needs to score points in order to provide value. Last year he struggled to score points and it really hurt his value. With NJ getting healthy and adding some significant depth, and a new coach, I think his numbers will bounce back and he'll get a very nice contract in 3 years (either in NJ or elsewhere).

He is in that perfect sweet spot of young enough and cheap enough that if he REALLY sucks you can probably find a desperate team to take him as a reclamation project, and if he REALLY improves you can trade him away for a small ransom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad