Prospect Info: Nikita Tryamkin | VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
What was he making in the KHL last season? Does anyone know? I think if we want to sign him beyond a year, which we absolutely should, we will need to increase his salary a bit. If he doesn't play well we can always waive him, he'll just go back to Russia rather than play in the AHL.
Don’t quote me on this but I believe it was around 1M USD. They don’t get taxed as much in Russia so figured 1.5M should cover it. Besides he is wanting to return to the nhl so he prob is willing to take a pay cut

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Don’t quote me on this but I believe it was around 1M USD. They don’t get taxed as much in Russia so figured 1.5M should cover it. Besides he is wanting to return to the nhl so he prob is willing to take a pay cut
Does he want to now that the Willie D rain is over?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Does he want to now that the Willie D rain is over?
He has wanted to since last offseason. The Canucks didn’t even make him an offer last offseason, that’s the issue. They just kept telling him to wait and wait until he had no choice but to re-sign in Russia as their season was starting

Reactions: vanuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He'd likely expect more than to just equal his take home pay in Russia. Factoring in Escrow and higher taxes. He's comfortable in Russia. So, it's now whether he and his spouse are ready to come to North America. He has a young child now, so that's a family decision in that the spouse has to be comfortable caring for the child in a foreign country.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He'd likely expect more than to just equal his take home pay in Russia. Factoring in Escrow and higher taxes. He's comfortable in Russia. So, it's now whether he and his spouse are ready to come to North America. He has a young child now, so that's a family decision in that the spouse has to be comfortable caring for the child in a foreign country.
He's gone the Koltsov route. He ain't coming back imho.

Chalk up another win for Willie D! (and the putz GM that hired him for three full NHL seasons).

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I think he wants to come back for the earning power more so than anything else. He'd probably take a 1 year 1.5mil contract though, this way he can go right into UFA and cash in if he has a good year. We'd be better off paying 2.5mil or so and making it a 2/3 year deal I would think.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
He knows he’ll have to uproot his wife and child. He wants to come back to the nhl and the Canucks. It‘a his 1st choice to play in the nhl. So that’s where our disagreement lies. I don’t think it would take much if any raise for him to sign given the above reason. He may be only willing to take a 1yr deal to try an maximize his earning potential and giving himself an out if his family wants to go back to Russia after 1 year. Keep in mind without nhl success his earning potential in the khl is limited. With nhl success comes teams from the khl willing to back up trucks of money

Reactions: Luckylarry

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is he comfortable in Russia..?...He's been the one making the noise that he wants to come back to the Canucks ..I honestly think he now regrets bolting back to Russia, and not 'sticking with it' here in NA...The coaching staff (Willie D, and Lidster, who NT did not get along with) were on there way out the door, at the time of his departure from the Canucks.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is he comfortable in Russia..?...He's been the one making the noise that he wants to come back to the Canucks ..I honestly think he now regrets bolting back to Russia, and not 'sticking with it' here in NA...The coaching staff (Willie D, and Lidster, who NT did not get along with) were on there way out the door, at the time of his departure from the Canucks.
Is Tree worth Benn’s Contract? Maybe 1.5 times two or three years?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Edler, Hamonic and Benn are all UFA's at the end of the season. It's no guarantee that any of them are back.

So if Benning passes on Tryamkin, it means he surely has to go out and test the UFA market for another d-man or two.

As a Canuck fan, that scares me worse than rolling the dice with Tryamkin.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think he wants to come back for the earning power more so than anything else. He'd probably take a 1 year 1.5mil contract though, this way he can go right into UFA and cash in if he has a good year. We'd be better off paying 2.5mil or so and making it a 2/3 year deal I would think.

I think most Russian hockey players want to play in the NHL and prove that they can do it. Tryamkin is in his prime now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Edler, Hamonic and Benn are all UFA's at the end of the season. It's no guarantee that any of them are back.

So if Benning passes on Tryamkin, it means he surely has to go out and test the UFA market for another d-man or two.

As a Canuck fan, that scares me worse than rolling the dice with Tryamkin.
You need replacements for all of those roster spots. Question is, how much cap space is left to do that after Hughes, Petey and Demko get their new contracts?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
KHL released top 15 paid guys. #15 is 975 US. Their minimum salary is 100,000 US. Didn’t see Tree’s salary, but it’s likely around what the minimum NHL salary is. His next year salary in Russia might even be less. If we offered him 1 - 1.5 he’d jump.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
KHL released top 15 paid guys. #15 is 975 US. Their minimum salary is 100,000 US. Didn’t see Tree’s salary, but it’s likely around what the minimum NHL salary is. His next year salary in Russia might even be less. If we offered him 1 - 1.5 he’d jump.
I think he will get more than $1M for sure. I expect a minimum of $2 M to be honest. In fact i would love it if they signed him for $2.25 M x 3.
The insane thing is that we have 3 mediocre D man making $6 M each. All 3 of myers Edler and Schmidt deserve to be in the $3 - 4 M range, though Edler has certainly earned his money over the years.

In some ways its fortunate that Hughes is having a bit of a down year. I can see him getting a bridge deal of $5 M x 3 right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he will get more than $1M for sure. I expect a minimum of $2 M to be honest. In fact i would love it if they signed him for $2.25 M x 3.
The insane thing is that we have 3 mediocre D man making $6 M each. All 3 of myers Edler and Schmidt deserve to be in the $3 - 4 M range, though Edler has certainly earned his money over the years.

In some ways its fortunate that Hughes is having a bit of a down year. I can see him getting a bridge deal of $5 M x 3 right now.
Did any top end RFA this past off-season (After Covid hit), sign a long term contract that ate up any UFA years?

Barzal, Dublois, Sergachev, Cirelli signed bridge deals.

We have the ESPN tv contract signed for $400 mill per season. Waiting on the B package to be signed. So, that at best matches the A package of $400 mill, but should at least garner into the $300 mill plus per season range. That's $700 mill at least in US TV money vs the $200 mill per season right now with NBC. That's $500 extra million, so $250 mill into the 50% player split. Over 32 teams that should push the cap up $8 mill per season.

My guess would be that since players hate escrow, rather than jack up the cap by $8 mill, they increase it closer by maybe half that to ease the escrow hit til everything recovers. Hard to say right now what the impact of Covid will be on ticket prices, advertising, etc. Likely a change in advertisers with those in hard hit industries bowing out while some that saw growth maybe sign onto the NHL.

As for Hughes, he would be bridged a bit higher than $5 mill per. I don't see a bridge topping $6 mill per. His direct comps are Makar, Heiskanen, with Dahlin now falling back on the sad sack Sabres. And all of them are up for new deals this off-season. So, doubtful you see any team friendly deals as everyone of them has direct comps in negotiations. Probably best to be the first to act and give more than the $5 mill bridge that Werenski/McAvoy/Sergachev got. Come in with $5.5-$5.75 per on the 3 year deal to get it signed before another team potentially goes to $6 mill or more.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Did any top end RFA this past off-season (After Covid hit), sign a long term contract that ate up any UFA years?

Barzal, Dublois, Sergachev, Cirelli signed bridge deals.

We have the ESPN tv contract signed for $400 mill per season. Waiting on the B package to be signed. So, that at best matches the A package of $400 mill, but should at least garner into the $300 mill plus per season range. That's $700 mill at least in US TV money vs the $200 mill per season right now with NBC. That's $500 extra million, so $250 mill into the 50% player split. Over 32 teams that should push the cap up $8 mill per season.

My guess would be that since players hate escrow, rather than jack up the cap by $8 mill, they increase it closer by maybe half that to ease the escrow hit til everything recovers. Hard to say right now what the impact of Covid will be on ticket prices, advertising, etc. Likely a change in advertisers with those in hard hit industries bowing out while some that saw growth maybe sign onto the NHL.

As for Hughes, he would be bridged a bit higher than $5 mill per. I don't see a bridge topping $6 mill per. His direct comps are Makar, Heiskanen, with Dahlin now falling back on the sad sack Sabres. And all of them are up for new deals this off-season. So, doubtful you see any team friendly deals as everyone of them has direct comps in negotiations. Probably best to be the first to act and give more than the $5 mill bridge that Werenski/McAvoy/Sergachev got. Come in with $5.5-$5.75 per on the 3 year deal to get it signed before another team potentially goes to $6 mill or more.

The Canucks benefit from Hughes being a 10.2c. His comparables can all sign offer sheets Escrow is definitely a point of contention and I think pre-covid the players voted only for a slight increase in the cap through the escalator clause rather than the full 5%.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
In the last non-COVID year (18/19) total NHL revenues were a little over $5B. Cap adjustments and escrow are meant to ensure a 50/50 revenue split. Gate revenues, which account for about 35% of revenues, are non-existent this year. Bottom line, it appears that it will be a few years before the loss of gate revenues is recovered through a new TV deal. So no, players will not automatically get 50% of the new tv deal because right now they are still making way over 50% of revenues even with a 20% escrow. By my quick rough calculation this amounts to about $300M-$400M more.

Reactions: m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Canucks benefit from Hughes being a 10.2c. His comparables can all sign offer sheets Escrow is definitely a point of contention and I think pre-covid the players voted only for a slight increase in the cap through the escalator clause rather than the full 5%.
Isn't Makar the same situation as Hughes having burned his first year ELC after leaving school after his sophomore season? Only Heiskanen/Dahlin can get an offer sheet. Both Makar and Hughes still have 5 more years before they hit UFA vs the 4 for Heiskanen and Dahlin.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I wonder how accurate that is. Back in the Kovalchuk and Datsyuk days the two made $5.5/$4.5M. Shipachyov did give up his $9M contract to go back to Russia to be paid $2M? a year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In the last non-COVID year (18/19) total NHL revenues were a little over $5B. Cap adjustments and escrow are meant to ensure a 50/50 revenue split. Gate revenues, which account for about 35% of revenues, are non-existent this year. Bottom line, it appears that it will be a few years before the loss of gate revenues is recovered through a new TV deal. So no, players will not automatically get 50% of the new tv deal because right now they are still making way over 50% of revenues even with a 20% escrow. By my quick rough calculation this amounts to about $300M-$400M more.
I don't expect RFAs to sign for term. TV Revenue goes up, but there going to be decreases in revenue in other areas to offset that. Thus, I don't expect RFAs to go for term and lock themselves into 6-8 year deals. Think everyone is going to do bridge deals of 2-3 years.

That probably helps in having the funds necessary to sign replacement players for the UFAs. First priority is to use the UFA cap space to shift over to the key RFAs, then use whatever is remaining to upgrade and replace the UFAs, which isn't a lot of cap space left.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wonder how accurate that is. Back in the Kovalchuk and Datsyuk days the two made $5.5/$4.5M. Shipachyov did give up his $9M contract to go back to Russia to be paid $2M? a year.
The K implemented a salary cap. Top salary is now 1.75 US. Bottom salary is 100 k. I’d like to get Tree over here, and don’t think it will cost more than 1.5. Maybe less?

Reactions: F A N

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't expect RFAs to sign for term. TV Revenue goes up, but there going to be decreases in revenue in other areas to offset that. Thus, I don't expect RFAs to go for term and lock themselves into 6-8 year deals. Think everyone is going to do bridge deals of 2-3 years.

That probably helps in having the funds necessary to sign replacement players for the UFAs. First priority is to use the UFA cap space to shift over to the key RFAs, then use whatever is remaining to upgrade and replace the UFAs, which isn't a lot of cap space left.
I agree with everything here. My guess is it will take 2 or 3 years to wash away the escrow overage that the players are getting and for the cap to then be adjusted upwards to reflect the net increase in revenues post COVID. It just makes sense for young players not to lock themselves in long term when there could be a windfall in three years time.
Assuming Hughes and Pettersson bridge at less than $15M total, they hold money to resign Horvat and Miller in the $6-$7M range each, Boeser for $8M, and Demko for $5M, they'll have roughly $23M left over after the bad contracts and Luongo recapture are gone after next season. That's nice flexibility to fill top 6 or top 4 holes.

...but I guess I should move this to the fantasy GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad