Prospect Info: Nikita Tryamkin | VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I hope and in fact expect we will sign Tryamkin soon. I am think 2 x $ 2.5 M will be about right.

Its funny how the people that were butt hurt when he left are now arguing he isn't a legit NHL D man.

I think he will be a solid 3 - 4 D man for years. And better than myers, who is massively overpaid.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I hope and in fact expect we will sign Tryamkin soon. I am think 2 x $ 2.5 M will be about right.

Its funny how the people that were butt hurt when he left are now arguing he isn't a legit NHL D man.

I think he will be a solid 3 - 4 D man for years. And better than myers, who is massively overpaid.
Myers was overpaid the second after he signed his contract, but you're not going to sign a UFA 29 year old RHD, top 4 D man for less than what he got..It was fair UFA value at the time.
Saying that NT is better than Myers is ridiculous..Myers is a better skater, plays on the PP, kills penalties, and minute munches a lot of ice time..Tryamkin does not do these things.
In saying that, I would like to see NT back on the team next season, and finding a role somewhere on the D.

Last edited:

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Myers was overpaid the second after he signed his contract, but you're not going to sign a UFA 29 year old RHD, top 4 D man for less than what he got..It was fair UFA value at the time.
Saying that NT is better than Myers is ridiculous..Myers is a better skater, plays on the PP, kills penalties, and minute munches a lot of ice time..Tryamkin does not do these things.
In saying that, I would like to see NT back on the team next season, and finding a role somewhere on the D.

Just another example of poor cap management by JB.

I'd take Tanev at 4.5 over Myers at 6 every time.

The sad part is that Benning probably values Myers much more than he did with Tanev, which is just another slight on his already horrid résumé.

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just another example of poor cap management by JB.

I'd take Tanev at 4.5 over Myers at 6 every time.

The sad part is that Benning probably values Myers much more than he did with Tanev, which is just another slight on his already horrid résumé.
I was counting down the minutes that somebody would reply with Tanev is a better deal than Myers..Honestly, I would do that myself (on a shorter term), but the fact is..we are talking 2019 (pre pandemic), not 2020...There is no doubt that Myers moved the needle on the Canucks D (leading all Canuck D men in ES ice time) last season..Without him on the blue line, taking those heavy minutes off Edler and Tanev, we wouldnt have been anywhere near a playoff spot.

Not convinced that Benning valued Myers more than Tanev, but he wasnt going to match the Calgary offer for the ageing/often injured Tanev.

I think that a lot of Canuck fans might be thanking Benning (although he will be probably relieved at that point) in a couple of years, for not re-signing Tanev and Markstrom.

Last edited:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Even though I think hes a long shot ,
If he wishes to come back to vancouver then im all for giving him another shot,
we need a replacement for edler ASAP.
I just hope JB doesnt overpay like he does most of the time.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I mean in a capped league it's not as though you can separate the player from his contract. Even if there was a small dropoff, the savings in cap alone would allow you to get better elsewhere.

Looking back that is the case but of course, we don't live in the perfect world where we can replace Myers with Tryamkin, getting the younger player at a lower cap hit. We've got Myers and his $ 6 million per season contract effectively means he can't be moved out without giving up assets to get another team to take him.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016

This is false. See DeMelo’s contract.
If you're only using the 2019 offseason UFA signings as the benchmark, literally the only other comparable for a top 4 RHD dman during that free agency was Stralman, who signed 3 years x $5.5 million and played the 2nd most minutes on Florida last season and the 3rd most minutes this season. I would take Stralman over Myers, and he's signed for half the term with $500k less each year compared to Myers.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Looking back that is the case but of course, we don't live in the perfect world where we can replace Myers with Tryamkin, getting the younger player at a lower cap hit. We've got Myers and his $ 6 million per season contract effectively means he can't be moved out without giving up assets to get another team to take him.

For sure, though my original post was just referring to the opportunity cost of the Myers signing from a general perspective.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Right because Willie wouldn't gift him primo icetime when he didn't deserve it. Also remember he quit on the Canucks AFTER Willie was canned which I know ruins the excuse but still...

I was being sarcastic, you know that right?

I don't for a second believe Tryamkin leaving was anyone's fault but his own, he was entitled and yet some people on here still believe he will be a "decent" 4th or 5th dman, it's amazing the rose coloured glasses these people are looking through, let him stay in Russia.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
If you're only using the 2019 offseason UFA signings as the benchmark, literally the only other comparable for a top 4 RHD dman during that free agency was Stralman, who signed 3 years x $5.5 million and played the 2nd most minutes on Florida last season and the 3rd most minutes this season. I would take Stralman over Myers, and he's signed for half the term with $500k less each year compared to Myers.
$500K less playing in the state of FLA vs Vancouver for him closes to the gap to probably 5 figures a season in terms of take home pay.

In the end with UFAs, they decide where they want to play. Played the prior 5 seasons with TBL, so if he had the choice to remain in the state, no surprise he took it. Canucks would have had to give him more incentive to sign here. Be it term or much larger cap hit.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
$500K less playing in the state of FLA vs Vancouver for him closes to the gap to probably 5 figures a season in terms of take home pay.

In the end with UFAs, they decide where they want to play. Played the prior 5 seasons with TBL, so if he had the choice to remain in the state, no surprise he took it. Canucks would have had to give him more incentive to sign here. Be it term or much larger cap hit.

Fair, but I don't think it would result in doubling his term as well as an additional $500k per year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Stralman is also 4 years older than Myers, and Myers played the most minutes at ES for all Canuck D -men last season..I also remember Stralman having injury issues...$500K is pretty much in the same ballpark (plus, take into account Florida tax)
Myers is in the 2nd year of his contract, I dont really see him deteriorating either..A good skater for his size.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Stralman is also 4 years older than Myers, and Myers played the most minutes at ES for all Canuck D -men last season..I also remember Stralman having injury issues...$500K is pretty much in the same ballpark (plus, take into account Florida tax)
Myers is in the 2nd year of his contract, I dont really see him deteriorating either..A good skater for his size.

I don't disagree with the differences with Stralman, which means there are no real comparables to Myers' contract from the 2019 UFA offseason. So you really have no basis for your comment saying Myers' contract was fair value for UFAs at the time. The term on Myers' contract is the main issue, as it lowers his value in potential trades tremendously. It wouldn't be so bad if the term was much less, or the cap hit was way lower, but the combination makes his contract unattractive for other teams.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I was being sarcastic, you know that right?

I don't for a second believe Tryamkin leaving was anyone's fault but his own, he was entitled and yet some people on here still believe he will be a "decent" 4th or 5th dman, it's amazing the rose coloured glasses these people are looking through, let him stay in Russia.

Not sure how I missed the sarcasm. I myself love the folks that say "I really want JB to sign him" and then say "I hope we don't pay him too much". Newsflash: in order to sign him you are going to have to overpay him. The people who whine about us not signing him are the same people who will whine about his contract being too rich. The agenda will be fulfilled!

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Tryamkin had an assist today and 20:35 TOI. Avtomobilist lost, so they're down 0-2 in their first-round playoff series.

He's 88 in white in these highlights, lots of screen time. He looks like a solid defender, though nothing too amazing. He'd probably be kind of similar to Myers in that he is a huge, fast, serviceable defender who makes the occasional gaffe. The difference is he could probably be signed for a lot less than 6 million a year.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
It’d begin to help address one of my problems with how soft this team is overall. Bottom pairing opportunity and replaces Benn.

If he gets outplayed by Rathbone or god forbid they sign a better LD (2nd pair) in free agency and it’s Juolevi in the bottom spot the team is better for it. He goes back home killing the contract and any real NHL chances going forward.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I hope and in fact expect we will sign Tryamkin soon. I am think 2 x $ 2.5 M will be about right

Pretty sure he earns over $2m USD per season in the KHL, which works out to more take-home than $2.5m usd playing for the Canucks (particularly factoring in 20% escrow). I don't think he takes less than $3m, and I don't think he does multiple seasons without being paid substantially more.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Pretty sure he earns over $2m USD per season in the KHL, which works out to more take-home than $2.5m usd playing for the Canucks (particularly factoring in 20% escrow). I don't think he takes less than $3m, and I don't think he does multiple seasons without being paid substantially more.
I try to get information on this. The only thing I could find was that even the richest KHL teams only have about 30% of the revenue in NHL team does. Therefore he’s not likely to be making quite that much money

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree with your point that he won’t come over for a contract less than what he takes home in Russia.
But I don’t think he’s making $2 mill USD in Russia. Think I’ve seen posts where it was closer to $1 mill.
But whatever his net pay is that’s the minimum you’d need to pay him post tax to convince him to come over.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Can't find the $2m number, but the $1m number is from 2018-9, and his role has increased significantly since then (i believe he's signed 2 contract extensions since then).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad