Player Discussion: Nikita Gusev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Nope we've got his rights forever basically. We still own Koshechkins rights and he was drafted like 10 years ago.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
as i understand it we just need to keep giving him tender even though is signed in khl to keep his rights till is 27 or whatever the rule is

Then no time to waste I say. Let him play out the next season and try to win a Gagarin Cup. Approximately a year from this time contact SKA St. Petersburg and Gusev's agent and arrange to buy out the last year of his contract and start negotiating an arrival to the NHL. I know it's a lot to do on top of all the other contracts but Yzerman's gonna have to have some kind of backup plan and this kid is too good for us to slip through our fingers.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The KHL just started again and Gusev had an assist on SKA's only goal (lost 2-1 in OT to Traktor). 2016/2017 is a crucial season for the Goose, he must confirm his break-out performance from last year where he became at 23 a key player on a loaded team (49 points in 48 games with St. Petersburgh). That's something to follow before the NHL stuffs start again.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He's top 3 tied with Datsyuk and Shipachev, he's on the 2nd line with Shipachev and Dadonov and on the 2nd PP unit but he only plays 14 minutes per game. He's got a complete offensive arsenal. A lethal wrister with an effective one-timer, his passing game is excellent, he's got the stuff to find open space in the scoring chance area in 5v5 situation and he can burn you with speed if you don't have a proper gap control.

On the negative side, his apparent physical softness could be a problem on a smaller rink but I'm just guessing, the KHL is really a very competitive league and to play on the wider rink has its own issues too, but he's flying out there against grown men. He clearly needs to improve his all-around game nonetheless. The good news is that you can teach to play acceptable defense but offensive skills on Gusev's level cannot be taught. At the condition he'd make the jump I can see a problematic translation to the NHL at the beginning, particularly under Cooper, but I have no doubt his offensive skillset is for real, even for the NHL and would produce right off the bat. Like many skilled, finesse players Nikita is kinda hit or miss, he's either a top 6 forward committed to learn a bit of the N/A two way game and ready to take physical abuse, or he'll be nothing.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
2 more points for Gusev (1+1) in today's win against Barys Astana. 11 points in 9 games with only 14:30 minutes TOI/game

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Too bad, would love to see him with Kucherov. Move Palat with Stamkos and Drouin. Anyways, thanks for the response. Good luck this season.

Most of the young rising stars in the KHL have an out-clause in their contracts in case the NHL temptation gets too prominent. The thing is, before taking the decision to come over, Gusev probably expects the certainty to get the Panarin handling: To be treated like an NHLer right from the beginning, but up to now, we didn't really have room in Tampa to propose Gusev an interesting challenge as much as a secured spot with the NHL club. But with the approaching cap crunch, there's a strong possibility we're gonna lose several key contributors we'll need to replace from the inside. That's where Yzerman might be interested to have a "word" with Nikita in the next few months. Stay tuned.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Most of the young rising stars in the KHL have an out-clause in their contracts in case the NHL temptation gets too prominent. The thing is, before taking the decision to come over, Gusev probably expects the certainty to get the Panarin handling: To be treated like an NHLer right from the beginning, but up to now, we didn't really have room in Tampa to propose Gusev an interesting challenge as much as a secured spot with the NHL club. But with the approaching cap crunch, there's a strong possibility we're gonna lose several key contributors we'll need to replace from the inside. That's where Yzerman might be interested to have a "word" with Nikita in the next few months. Stay tuned.

At one point Gusev publicly expressed that he would love to come over and play with his buddy Kucherov and thenturned around and signed an extension. This just so happened to be at the height of the Drouin fiasco and I do not find that to be any coincidence at all.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think he comes over next season if (when) we have to trade one of our RFAs away. Is there anything anywhere about there being an out clause in his KHL contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad