Value of: Nick Schmaltz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Friedman on TV dangled Nick Schmaltz's name as being someone Carolina might be interested in (apparently)

He's got 3.5 more years left at a 5.85m cap hit, and gets paid almost 8m in real money each year after this one. He also has a M-NTC (Player submits a 10 team no trade list) that kicks in next year.

Capfriendly link

I can see Arizona being willing to move him, what's it going to take?

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
Well i think carolina needs 2C if they want win a cup so this would make more sense to me than them going after meier

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
My first thought is it might only take a 1st to get him, reminds me of the Skjei trade by Carolina possibly. Guy with term that a newish FO is willing to move for a late 1st.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Well i think carolina needs 2C if they want win a cup so this would make more sense to me than them going after meier
But Schmaltz is a winger. When he has been forced to take Faceoffs he has been terrible at them. Career 40%.

Reactions: Schemp

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Schmaltz has spent the majority of his 244 games in AZ as a RW.

When he’s going North, his game REALLY lends itself to the C position. He’s fantastic with possession through the neutral zone and is elite at zone entries with the puck. He’s a daul threat with shots and passing. When he’s on his game, he’s willing to go inside and plays an extremely effective, straight line game.

Going the other way is a different story. He’s a surprisingly good puckhound and can strip pucks effectively and go the other way. Actually a hard worker in this regard. But his in-zone defense is bad. Way too bad to be a center. He’s also bad a faceoffs.

For a time they tried letting Dvorak handle his faceoffs and his defensive duties and let him be a hybrid center, offensively. It worked okay. But I think it was more trouble than it was worth.

If you want him to be a C you have to work around too much. You don’t lose anything by just letting him play RW. He’s good at it.

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022

When he’s going North, his game REALLY lends itself to the C position. He’s fantastic with possession through the neutral zone and is elite at zone entries with the puck. He’s a daul threat with shots and passing. When he’s on his game, he’s willing to go inside and plays an extremely effective, straight line game.

Going the other way is a different story. He’s a surprisingly good puckhound and can strip pucks effectively and go the other way. Actually a hard worker in this regard. But his in-zone defense is bad. Way too bad to be a center. He’s also bad a faceoffs.

For a time they tried letting Dvorak handle his faceoffs and his defensive duties and let him be a hybrid center, offensively. It worked okay. But I think it was more trouble than it was worth.

If you want him to be a C you have to work around too much. You don’t lose anything by just letting him play RW. He’s good at it.
I see i dont watch Arizona so i thought he was a center

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022

That type of "Center" could be useful to Carolina as they play a very solid team defense. They need a straight-line possession scorer. Which is why Meier is appealing.

It seems to me like the price for Henrique and Schmaltz should be similar. For Carolina's current makeup I prefer Henrique.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Friedman on TV dangled Nick Schmaltz's name as being someone Carolina might be interested in (apparently)

He's got 3.5 more years left at a 5.85m cap hit, and gets paid almost 8m in real money each year after this one. He also has a M-NTC (Player submits a 10 team no trade list) that kicks in next year.

Capfriendly link

I can see Arizona being willing to move him, what's it going to take?

Friedman did that in the intermission last night - if I recall the comment he made was that Schmaltz had some of the good underlying metrics that the Canes like.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Would be an interesting option for the Jets, we need more scoring up front bad especially on RW. Don’t know if we have the assets Arizona wants/needs tho.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Friedman did mention specifically that Schmaltz is a player the Jets should be targeting (no judgment on that, we have issues that need fixing), but I think the salary chases Chevy & Chipman away. We need to do something, and this is a sneaky enough move to qualify.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Would be an interesting option for the Jets, we need more scoring up front bad especially on RW. Don’t know if we have the assets Arizona wants/needs tho.
We have a 1st round pick so there is probably your starting point.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
He has something like 100 points in his last 100 games. Underrated player.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't see Schmaltz play enough to know if this applies to him, but sometimes 2nd line players benefit from getting 1st line opportunities on one team and then their production drops when they're traded to a better team and get lesser 2nd line opportunities. Combine that with Schmaltz' cap hit and especially actual dollars owed, and AZ's possible desire to move him before his M-NTC kicks in, and he may not have as much value as some are suggesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad