Value of: Nick Schmaltz to the Leafs.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With Arizona legend Shane Doan joining the Leafs you have to think he's going to want bring somebody over from Arizona with him, and while think that player might be Lawson Crouse,.

I think Nick Schmaltz might be the most available.

The reason for that is while his cap hit is about 5.8 million, the actual money he's owed is 7.5 million, 8.4 million and 8.5 million and actual dollars matter a lot for teams like Arizona especially with what they going through now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
With Arizona legend Shane Doan joining the Leafs you have to think he's going to want bring somebody over from Arizona with him, and while think that player might be Lawson Crouse, or Conor Murphy.

The reason for that is while his cap hit is about 5.8 million, the actual money he's owed is 7.5 million, 8.4 million and 8.5 million and actual dollars matter a lot for teams like Arizona especially with what they going through now.
doesnt Murphy play for Chicago?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
If I were Arizona I'd move Schmaltz for futures and a cap dump, don't see Toronto outbidding another team in such a trade. Toronto would offer like Matt Murray and Boston's 1st and I think they could do better.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Didn’t believe in Nick Schmaltz all that much a few seasons ago but he has proven himself as a capable top 6 RWer.

Reactions: Eegs

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
With Arizona legend Shane Doan joining the Leafs you have to think he's going to want bring somebody over from Arizona with him, and while think that player might be Lawson Crouse,.

It's nice that your worried about the homeless but the Leafs can't afford the cap hit unless if they move someone else.
Nylander did play with Schmaltz in juniors (as well as Dvorak).

Unless if you're suggesting Mathews after his signing bonus is paid. Then it would make sense.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's nice that your worried about the homeless but the Leafs can't afford the cap hit unless if they move someone else.
Nylander did play with Schmaltz in juniors.

They can though they can have about 20 million in space if they want it.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If I were Arizona I'd move Schmaltz for futures and a cap dump, don't see Toronto outbidding another team in such a trade. Toronto would offer like Matt Murray and Boston's 1st and I think they could do better.
58 points in 63 games? How is he at faceoffs? Not a bad cap hit if he can play on Jack’s RW

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Schmaltz's contract absolutely represents elite value. One of the best non ELC deals in the league. And the Yotes know this.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Nylander did play with Schmaltz in juniors (as well as Dvorak).

Unless if you're suggesting Mathews after his signing bonus is paid. Then it would make sense.
I'm not sure who you're thinking of but Nylander didn't play junior with Schmaltz.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Unless the Leafs actually do manage to move Marner or something...i'm not sure a player like Schmaltz is really what the Leafs need to add.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It would make sense to buy him out, if he is healthy. Samsonov will cost ??

I'm not sure Samsonov will be here either.

Thing you have to remember is that with the possible exception of Luke Schenn from his days in Arizona Brad Treliving has no loyalty to anybody on this roster.

Not even TJ Brodie because we know he tried to trade Brodie and would have if Kadri hadn't blocked the deal, and TJ Brodie knows that too.

Regardless of if Samsonov is back or not I don't think Treliving is sold on him.

I have wondered about Markstrom since day 1 because that is Treliving guy, he brought him to Calgary.

I fully expect a Toronto/Calgary trade of some kind.

Maybe it's not Markstrom but he's bringing somebody over from Calgary.

Personally I'd bet on Hanifin.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
the yotes also know he makes $7.5M, $8.45M and $8.5M in real dollars over the next few years so I'm pretty sure they will be motivated to move him.
This suggest that they are making decisions based on cash flow only - is that for sure the case? They keep acquiring these big, non producing contracts that also have negative cash flow impacts, don't they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad