Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I see him gone by the TDL at the absolute latest, this is definitely his last year in the organization.

Certainly possible but I wouldn’t be so sure.
Not every player who requests a trade ends up gone. Bruins got years out of Debrusk after his as one example.

If Nick plays full season, with consistently better linemates and powerplay time as well he could score 25-30 goals imo

Reactions: ToMaLe

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Certainly possible but I wouldn’t be so sure.
Not every player who requests a trade ends up gone. Bruins got years out of Debrusk after his as one example.

If Nick plays full season, with consistently better linemates and powerplay time as well he could score 25-30 goals imo

I think the relationship is most likely fractured but if he does that, we should be able to get a very good return versus what we could get today.

Reactions: TMLAM34

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the identified trades I found were...

Nils Hoglander from Vancouver
Jonatan Berggren from Detroit
2nd from Carolina
Mavrik Bourque from Dallas

If we're getting offered like a 3rd round pick, I think we may be better off holding onto him and trying to build value to get a better return.
My YouTube feed had a video of a Leaf video pop up where a couple of guys were pushing a supposed rumor of Robertson plus to the Ducks for Frank Verano, don’t believe a word of it……..

Here’s the link

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
IMO Cowan is already ahead of Robertson; let’s just cut our losses and move on.

With Berube as a coach with a focus on defense first I really doubt Robertson will up his value.

Unless we want to not burn Cowan’s year then may be Robertson can be useful for time being

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I would add that teams should always have an eye towards developing youth, but the onus is also on the young players to bring a certain level of playability while they learn on their job and there’s usually a risk vs reward ratio that goes into whether a kid will get a look.

If a kid is virtually unplayable in most entry level bottom 6 roles, but has long shot 20 goal potential, it’s going to be tough going to get to that upside.
Where are you getting the idea that he's unplayable in a bottom 6 role? I wouldn't want him playing shutdown time, but he seems fine as a middle 6 winger

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

With Berube as a coach with a focus on defense first I really doubt Robertson will up his value.

Unless we want to not burn Cowan’s year then may be Robertson can be useful for time being

What systems does he run that makes him defense first?

It's so weird that his team didn't have a better GAA while he coached... was he just not good?

I want to learn more about Berube, I am not sure he is the right coach if he is going to force them to play a very defensive style... our issue is scoring.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My YouTube feed had a video of a Leaf video pop up where a couple of guys were pushing a supposed rumor of Robertson plus to the Ducks for Frank Verano, don’t believe a word of it……..

Here’s the link

Today I don't think Anaheim makes that deal because Robertson isn't worth as much and the cap currently wouldn't work but we can see as the year goes on.

Liljegren I realized has had 2.4M paid as a signing bonus so 2.4M out of the 6M he's owed is already paid out, if we get half way through the year and need to change course, his contract is pretty appealing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Where are you getting the idea that he's unplayable in a bottom 6 role? I wouldn't want him playing shutdown time, but he seems fine as a middle 6 winger

It’s a general comment about balancing between patiently developing young talent vs whether they can do the entry level work in a lower in the lineup role, the risk to reward they bring.

Someone like Connor Bedard can be terrible at X, Y, Z and will get all the opportunity because the upside is massive opportunities.

Someone like Jeremy Bracco may not be worth it at all.

Robertson has made some progress in the NHL and shown a bit of modest scoring and is somewhere on that spectrum.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What systems does he run that makes him defense first?

It's so weird that his team didn't have a better GAA while he coached... was he just not good?

I want to learn more about Berube, I am not sure he is the right coach if he is going to force them to play a very defensive style... our issue is scoring.

Blues never really had strong GF/G. in the year he had hot Binnington, ROR and Peitrangelo they were very defense first team
In Today’s NHL it’s hard to create ground breaking offense without cheating for offense while your goalie and D cover up for it

Berube mentioned 5 man unit in all zones to me that means he will be defense focused. Besides nylander Leafs don’t really have elite players that can skate. Matthews is decent but Marner and Tavares don’t have speed although Marner has the edgework

Leafs primary issue was special teams. they didn’t score in PP and leaked goals in PK

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Berube don't focusing on defensive first but on work first.

When you working, that's help for the defensive for sure

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The truth is he isn't worth that much. It's not Toronto's fault he gets injured all the time. He is worth a 3rd rounder but To. doesn't have to do anything. He loses now. Should have played. Zero leverage.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Blues never really had strong GF/G. in the year he had hot Binnington, ROR and Peitrangelo they were very defense first team
In Today’s NHL it’s hard to create ground breaking offense without cheating for offense while your goalie and D cover up for it

Berube mentioned 5 man unit in all zones to me that means he will be defense focused. Besides nylander Leafs don’t really have elite players that can skate. Matthews is decent but Marner and Tavares don’t have speed although Marner has the edgework

Leafs primary issue was special teams. they didn’t score in PP and leaked goals in PK

if you taking the year he had been hired to 2023, Stl was 9th in term of GF and 15 in term of goal/agains... just like that

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s a general comment about balancing between patiently developing young talent vs whether they can do the entry level work in a lower in the lineup role, the risk to reward they bring.

Someone like Connor Bedard can be terrible at X, Y, Z and will get all the opportunity because the upside is massive opportunities.

Someone like Jeremy Bracco may not be worth it at all.

Robertson has made some progress in the NHL and shown a bit of modest scoring and is somewhere on that spectrum.
That doesn't actually address my question. I quoted that specific post, but you've alluded to brutal defensive abilities a few times in this thread.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Saw something kind of interesting but don't know if I'd do it as presented

Robertson + Riffai + 6th 2026

Kappo Kakko

KK was a 2nd overall at one point but after 300 NHL games he's piled up 57 goals and 60 assists he'll be on the books for 2.4m for one year

He's got every tool in the book, is 23 yrs old and at 6'3" 208 has some size to back it up. What's not to like? The downside is, he's a Type 1 Diabetic and also has Celiac disease which is an intolerance(not an allergy) to gluten and can cause problems which can be severe.

I don't know if there's anything to this but, why not?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That doesn't actually address my question. I quoted that specific post, but you've alluded to brutal defensive abilities a few times in this thread.

As a winger Robertson doesn’t reliably grab an outlet pass along the wall and chip it out or absorb contact on a forecheck to make a play and got cycled harder than a Peloton in the Bruins series. Plus his usual brand of ineffective busy busy when he doesn’t have the puck. Other than that I don’t think there’s a lot of impressive defensive work.

What are things you like about his defensive game?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What are things you like about his defensive game?
He's not a standout either way for me. Given how we deployed our 3rd line last year (that switched in playoffs), he was fine. I don't want him out PK'ing or in the final minute, but he never struck me as a guy truly struggling in our end.

I think you're reaching to make a point on the first paragraph, but I won't convince you. I'll just say I think it's a big reach to suggest he's unplayable on a bottom 6 role when we were rolling out a guy like Domi as 3C. He had speed to get to the wall and usually made safe plays to exit. He's clearly not afraid of contact and never tried to do too much. He forechecks well, and battles in the corners. I don't think he's wired well for defensive anticipation, but he works hard and doesn't take many chances with the puck.

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Sounds like he might be changing his mind?

Translation:
Robertson's agent put out feelers across the league to see if there'd be any interest. After hearing nothing but crickets for weeks, he's decided that signing with the Leafs is the best for his career development.

This is why you don't try big league moves when you have absolutely zero leverage.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Evilhomer

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Here’s the link

LOL. Those Leafs Digest guys are funny. Everything is "Big News", "Major Implications", "Shocking", "Big Trade", etc.

Reactions: meefer and rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's not a standout either way for me. Given how we deployed our 3rd line last year (that switched in playoffs), he was fine. I don't want him out PK'ing or in the final minute, but he never struck me as a guy truly struggling in our end.

I think you're reaching to make a point on the first paragraph, but I won't convince you. I'll just say I think it's a big reach to suggest he's unplayable on a bottom 6 role when we were rolling out a guy like Domi as 3C. He had speed to get to the wall and usually made safe plays to exit. He's clearly not afraid of contact and never tried to do too much. He forechecks well, and battles in the corners. I don't think he's wired well for defensive anticipation, but he works hard and doesn't take many chances with the puck.

A few separate but related points. First Robertson and where he fits:

I don’t think Robertson thrives in a 4th line role because he’s not well built to handle those kind of jobs, especially if you want a 4th line to be a physical identity line or want defensive shut down capabilities. People who advocate for Robertson have compared him to Reaves, who is an identity line kind of player, and other guys like Holmberg, Kampf, Dewar etc. who are low on the pecking order guys but happen to be better 200 foot options.

So it’s not a comfortable Robertson Versus because you’re not necessarily filling out a lineup by pure offensive upside. Which by and large is all Robertson is: a unique scoring threat with a motor, and a busy busy game.

But at the same time, Robertson’s best chance to make the Leafs and carve out an actual role is to graduate to the middle six, and produce at a rate where the reward to downside is diminished and he isn’t actually doing grunt work.

Moving to a general point, this underscores the challenge in developing young players. A healthy organization has to develop while its competing but the juice has to be worth the squeeze for the young player to get a toe hold. That’s not exclusive to Robertson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad